The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

Tools Question

Tools Question

by dombutler » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:20 am
Looks like I have to start over from scratch yet again and get some tools together, while I am saving up to get one of my busses back.
At the moment all I have some screwdrivers and pliers, you would not believe how frustrating not having any tools is.

So I was wondering, does anyone have any recommendations on grinders, welders and hacksaw brands.
Money it tight, so need sensible suggestions.

I was thinking of getting a grinder before a drill :bounce:
Cheers,
Dom.
dombutler
-

Re: Tools Question

by maddison » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:27 am
I've always considered grinders pretty disposable, if your lucky, 3-4 years use, I just buy what ever is the cheapest in argos :lol:
maddison
-

by dombutler » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:15 am
oooh Argos! they do a Challenge brand 500w grinder for £14.99.

is it up to the challenge though??
dombutler
-

by Banger » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:29 pm
That's strange, my B&Q cheapo 4.5"grinder died yesterday after 10 years of general abuse... Think I paid a tenner brand new!

Have a look at toolstation, they seem to have a pretty good choice and prices.
Banger
-

by JonnyCJ » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:42 pm
Clarke bench grinder - the one with the detachable polishing wheel, grinder, wire brush jobby. Got lots of use out of mine.

US Pro Tools on eBay do ok ish tool chests for not much money.

Also do a search in eBay for assorted workshop tools (or mechanics tools etc), there's often a job lot of kit going from an estate sale where people can't be doing with the hassle of listing individually. You can pick up a workshop full if you're lucky as most people just want individual items, but ideal if you're starting over.

As an example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Job-Lot ... 51cb36bbdb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-OF-BR ... 3cf22fa4a7

Cheers

Jonny
JonnyCJ
-

by beetleben » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:56 pm
I think power tools are always hit and miss when buying cheap. I bought a grinder a couple of weeks ago for a job as my van was at the garage for the mot and had majority of my tools in :evil: . I got the grinder from screwfix, cost £30 and last all of about 10 minutes before the switch packed up, even when in the off position it was still on
beetleben
-

by dombutler » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 am
JonnyCJ wrote:
Clarke bench grinder - the one with the detachable polishing wheel, grinder, wire brush jobby. Got lots of use out of mine.
US Pro Tools on eBay do ok ish tool chests for not much money.
Also do a search in eBay for assorted workshop tools
Cheers
Jonny

Cheers Jonny! actually my next question was about the quality of US pro tools, I will take a look at the Clarke bench grinder.
And do a local search on eBay.
dombutler
-

by dombutler » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 am
beetleben wrote:
I think power tools are always hit and miss when buying cheap. I bought a grinder a couple of weeks ago for a job as my van was at the garage for the mot and had majority of my tools in :evil: . I got the grinder from screwfix, cost £30 and last all of about 10 minutes before the switch packed up, even when in the off position it was still on

Sounds like a 8 inch grinder I bought once, same thing happened. I got it replaced then the spanner to change the disk broke!!
dombutler
-

by Dougie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:30 am
Keep an eye on the Aldi special buys, they've got nothing this week but the tools are usable when they have them... I bought a compressor from them for 60 quid with all the kit, 8 years later, 4 vans and two beetles sprayed, countless tyres pumped up and it's still going strong....
Dougie
-

by JonnyCJ » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:44 pm
Might be worth listing up what tools you need and seeing if any kind members have spare kit knocking about.

I'm sure there's some bits and bobs that are knocking about that I'll never use, various sockets, Allen keys, etc etc.

If you're happy to pay postage I'm sure you could get that list worked on with a little bit of help !

Come to think of it, I could do with a new drill, my old faithful hammer drill which I've had for 15 years is probably in need of changing for a newer model ;-)

PM me your address and I'll get a box of stuff together.

Cheers

Jonny
JonnyCJ
-

by dombutler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:02 am
JonnyCJ wrote:
Might be worth listing up what tools you need and seeing if any kind members have spare kit knocking about.

I'm sure there's some bits and bobs that are knocking about that I'll never use, various sockets, Allen keys, etc etc.

If you're happy to pay postage I'm sure you could get that list worked on with a little bit of help !

Come to think of it, I could do with a new drill, my old faithful hammer drill which I've had for 15 years is probably in need of changing for a newer model ;-)

PM me your address and I'll get a box of stuff together.

Cheers

Jonny

Cheers Jonny, that is very kind of you. When I started this thread, I was thinking about getting welders, grinders etc. and had forgotten about the obvious like looking on eBay and maybe putting a wanted ad up.
All the tools I have at the moment are what I have inherited from my late father's house
Don't Laugh!! :oops:

I'm not working on a bus, but keeping busy with a stupid idea/project.
I was given a scrap electric bicycle that I managed to get working and am going to put the bits on this old bike:

All I have to do is widen the frame to fit the rear wheel. It may collapse under it own weight or not move under it's own power!!
I did manage a heart stopping 18mph out of the motor with no load.

Anyway, as you can see there is a complete lack of spanners, I suppose I could do with a pair of mole grips and a lump hammer!!
Cheers,
Dom.
dombutler
-

by JonnyCJ » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:35 pm
Will have a root tonight Dom and see what I can dig out.

PM me your address for postage.

Cheers

Jonny
JonnyCJ
-

by JonnyCJ » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:16 pm
Collected from my garage so far
1 drill
Assorted metric and imperial sockets with cheapo ratchet (but it works !)
Couple of spanners
Brake flaring kit (the one that's hard work !)
Junior hacksaw & spare blades

Should keep you going...

Worth getting some decent drill bits (cobalt)
A decent ratchet, 1/2" drive with a separate 3/8" adapter so you can use big sockets and smaller ones on the same ratchet
Some ratchet spanners
Decent screwdriver set

Anyone got anything lurking around they're realistically not going to use to help a frustrated Member out ?
JonnyCJ
-

by beetleben » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:28 pm
I'm sure I've got a few bits and pieces going spare but postage weight wouldn't make it worth it, I've got quite a good Bosch jigsaw I can donate at cost of postage as I've bought a new one. But other than that I'd be more than happy to donate say £20 towards tools to help you out if you pm me payment details
beetleben
-

by JonnyCJ » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:28 am
Exactly why this forum is such a great place :-)
JonnyCJ
-