The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Non VW Chat & Discussion

Vehicle tax when buying a car

Vehicle tax when buying a car

by andy f » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:44 am
Sorry if this has been covered.

I know they abolished Tax discs a while ago now, but I was going to work the other day on the motorbike and remembered that the tax disc, although out of date, was still on the bike. So I thought must take it off. So then I was thinking about when you buy a second hand car or bike how do you know if it has Tax or not.

So got home and was chatting to Clare about it ( who seemed to be quite well informed on it all ;) ) and she said "well you don't but it with Tax anymore, you have to buy it when you buy the car "

So how doers it work then ?

Say I buy a 2nd hand car, the current owner claims any road tax back, but obviously I cannot drive it on the road until I have got tax for it, do you phone up the DVLA on the day and pay for it there and then?

Thanks

Confused of Gosport ;)
andy f
SSVC Member

Re: Vehicle tax when buying a car

by maddison » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:32 pm
if its taxed just asks the seller not to cancel it till the next day…they only get refunded for full months, so unless its on the last day of the month, it makes no difference to them
maddison
SSVC Member

by SAMBA VAN MAN » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm
Or just tax it online :wink:
SAMBA VAN MAN
SSVC Member

by andy f » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:07 pm
Cheers guys

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by 58and60 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:19 pm
it maybe me but I smell a bit of sharp practice in this new system

Previously a car could be taxed and carried over to the new owner who then taxed it as of the new expriy date, so one could argue that the car has 12 months paid on it

I just sold a car on the 3 March. The new owner had to Tax if from the 1st March and I only get refunded from the 1st April as March was not a full month. SO now that car has had effectively thirteen months tax paid on it?

On average then each private sale is going to mean that the seller gets refunded from the 1st of the next month and the buyer pays from the first of the current month. Have they just worked out a way of effectively taxing a car twice in the month its sold?? Am I missing a point and getting irritated for nothing, or have they just worked out a way of gaining more tax in a system that to me seems unfair? My rather simple maths means each private sale (assuming traders take the tax off and it sits there for a bit) is going to boost the coffers on that vehicle tax by 8%?
58and60
SSVC Member

by andy f » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:41 pm
Hold on a minute.....this sounds like...

Highway Robbery ! Did Dick Turpin come up with this Tax thing ? ;)

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by wmk168 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:34 pm
You have hit the nail on the head,two months road tax per car when it's sold.
Surely now it's all computerised and no disc is required why can't it start on the day you buy the car and end the day you sell it ? Just like you do with car insurance . It's just one more way to get money off us working folk.
Well least our buses are exempt :cheers:
wmk168
SSVC Member

by type21f » Mon May 04, 2015 5:14 am
Or just ask the seller to leave the tax on and pay for the unexpired tax in the price. Just like in days gone by...
type21f
SSVC Member

by Eternal Optimist » Mon May 04, 2015 6:10 am
type21f wrote:Or just ask the seller to leave the tax on and pay for the unexpired tax in the price. Just like in days gone by...

They can't do that. As soon as the V5 is received by the DVLA the refund is automatic. As for the grey area between picking up the keys, taking ownership and driving away and getting it taxed, on the basis you're not going to drive it away without it being insured, in theory a phone call to the DVLA should see it taxed before you start moving off. Assuming you speak to someone sensible at the DVLA.
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member