The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Non VW Chat & Discussion

Any cyclists on here?

Any cyclists on here?

by Rock Bus » Sat May 23, 2015 4:57 pm
I am contemplating cycling to the train station for work. It's just over 8 miles and quite hilly.

Did a test run today on my mtb ( http://claudbutler.co.uk/cycle-range...tler-atb/b2744 ) it took me 42 mins and was really hard work!!
Hasn't quite put me off but has made me think again. Would appreciate some advice on a few points:
1) how much easier would it be on a different type of bike?
2) what would best? Road? Hybrid? Cyclocross(whatever that is!)?
3) what's the minimum I would need to spend (happy to go 2nd hand/eBay)
4) if anyone has one their looking to sell or can let me know about a good deal would appreciate it!
5) is this any good ?
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...oad-bike-2015# [object%20Object]
6) in the interim could I just get different tyres for my existing bike?

Finally, will my arse ever not feel like I've done too much prison time and will I inevitably spend a lot more time in Lycra ?!?!?!
Rock Bus
SSVC Member

Re: Any cyclists on here?

by Crooky » Sat May 23, 2015 5:00 pm
In the winter you'll be freezing and in the summer boiling hot on the train. Been there...............

Buy yourself a moped - maximum fun with minimum effort. Cheap as chips too to run :cheers:
Crooky
SSVC Member

by wejjy » Sat May 23, 2015 6:50 pm
I have a MTB thats used for everything, the only thing I change is the wheels, I have a light weight set with smooth tyres for the road and a set of decently strong with knobblies for the trails, it makes a fair difference but the weight is the biggest issue with MTB's.

As for your posterior, get a set of decent padded shorts, huuuuge difference and they don't have to be lycra!!!
wejjy

by Bloomers100 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:42 pm
Don't buy something nice 'cos some .... will nick it. I would suggest getting some road tyres and tyres that are very resistant to punctures. schwalbe marathon pluses are the daddy for this. I swear by them. They are heavy ish but I've never had a p******e.
Bloomers100

by matt d » Sat May 23, 2015 9:13 pm
It will get easier. It's tough at first
matt d

by clymoj » Sun May 24, 2015 10:47 am
What's your saddle like? You want a hard, narrow one. It's meant to support your bone(s) not chafe against your cheeks. Your a**e will get used to it after a few days, whereas a big sofa saddle will hurt you forever.

I used to wear the padded Lycra shorts underneath some normal shorts until I got my confidence up on the commuter train to go just with the spray-ons. It helps if you take your bike on the train as an accessory to the shorts, otherwise you just look like you've worn Lycra for fun.

And as above, swap your wheels or buy a cheap old racer that no one wants to steal.
clymoj

by Rock Bus » Sun May 24, 2015 10:56 am
Thanks for the great advice everyone esp re saddle, mine is a wide one and even put gel padding on it..always thought the smaller harder ones would be worse!

Anyone have views on the Btwin Triban 3Ta as one at decent price 2nd hand near me.

Apparently exclusive to decathlon, which is maybe only one step up from halfords!! But gets decent reviews on line.

If I can get one for sub £150 would that be any better then just getting slicks on my mtb??
Rock Bus
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Sun May 24, 2015 2:00 pm
A lad at work has the triban to ride to work. Looks good for the money
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by pokey » Sun May 24, 2015 4:29 pm
I wouldn't bother with slick tyres on a mountain bike, pretty pants you cant go fast and can pull away in top gear, id agree with whats been said above about a small hard saddle, much more comfortable, use with some decent cycling shorts just takes time to get used to it, theres normally some good deals on used bikes on ebay as since the cycle to work scheme started so many people buy them and don't actually use them so they end up on there.
pokey

by chrystal » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:40 am
Defo change to road tyres. I always used specialized armadillo 1.5's. Also have a set of 1" for when I wanted to really go fast! My bike tu is from the 90's so didn't geometry, weight etc to current mountain bikes. Now have a racing bike, another league for speed!
chrystal