The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Non VW Chat & Discussion

Airstream caravans and towing??

Airstream caravans and towing??

by flip » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:34 pm
[*]
Hi guys,

I know that it's slightly off the usual vw topic...... Just wondered if anyone knew anything about airstream caravans???

Can I tow one behind a car / bus and if so what is the max length and weight?

Looking to perhaps get one to use whilst the bus is off the road being welded. But wanted to make sure I can tow it behind my car and perhaps the bus when it is finished being welded.

Regards

Flip :-)
flip

Re: Airstream caravans and towing??

by vwJim » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:08 pm
Depends on what model your buy and what car you have.

Imported Airstreams need to be modified to be legal on UK roads.

And I think even the very smallest Airstreams are too heavy to be towed by a Split. Original interiors are very heavy. Retro fitted interiors would decrease the axle weight.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by ernie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:35 pm
ernie

by Claushema » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:37 pm
Could mount an airstream on a bus chassis or just go for it like this fellow:
Claushema
SSVC Member

by flip » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:25 pm
Thanks Jim!

Sadly that eBay one is too small! Should have said I've got a missus, two kids and a dog to fit in!

Wow! That airstream split took a lot of guts to do!

Was looking at late 50's, early 60's airstreams.

Possible to tow with a golf... Or too heavy?
flip

by tman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Airstreams have a very high hitch weight, particularly the vintage models - look how far back the wheels are set on the vintage models. They are properly built from decent materials so they are VERY heavy, a 24' 1961 Airstream weighs over 3000lbs with a hitch weight of 340lbs - (link: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content/up ... eights.pdf ).

You can counter the hitch weight by storing stuff at the rear of the Airstream and if you buy one with a rear water tank then filling that up before travelling helps. You need to seriously watch stability if you make it tail-heavy though - it's a balancing act/compromise.

Maybe you'd get away with a small one like a Bambi with a Golf. The axle upgrade is a bit of a grey area if you are not buying from a dealer, I believe dealers selling them as 'ready for the road' have to make the running gear compliant. The US spec calls for a 2" towball but they are readily available. If running the original electrically operated drum brakes you would need a brake controller, Tekonsha make them. I run one with electric brakes (and a Tekonsha controller) and they work really well so don't let that put you off.

Good places to fire off questions are www.ukairstreamers.org and the UK Airstreamers facebook page.
tman
SSVC Member

by Aspro » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:30 pm
You need to do some basic caravanning homework mate. It's not too hard to work things out.
Basic rule of thumb is don't tow anything more than 80% of your cars curb weight and keep your nose weight below 80kg (depending on the vehicle). These rules can be stretched for an experienced caravanner.
Aspro