The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

New Owner / Member saying hello

New Owner / Member saying hello

by robmargel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 pm
Hello everyone - just a new member / owner saying hello.

Bought my first splitty (of ebay 8O ), a 66 back in November and have been enjoying her a weather permitting. At some point It has been imported from Austria and had a restoration of sorts as well I think. Have been lurking for a while and joined the club in the new year...

Had been looking for about 8 months until the right bus, in the right place, right location and the right price turned up. And eventually mine turned up 10 miles from home :) It is what you would call an 'honest' bus, no a show one, and it is the realising of a family dream after hiring one a few years back which we enjoyed. It was better investment that the cash sitting in a bank on zero interest is what I tell myself. So far the only thing I have done is have had rear belts fitted in the back by Richard at Voodoo VW.

It complements my other garage vehicle a Caterham fitted with a powerful motor bike engine that I use for hillclimbs and sprints http://www.youtube.com/caterhamhayabusa and although road legal is no fun on the road and not really family friendly, but does mean the garage is rather crowded, and we had some anxious moments getting everything in when I took it home for the first time :wink:

So after using it for a while I have tons of questions, which I am sure are in the archives but I find it hard to get definitive answers...

1. the lights are shocking, is it a case of they are all like that, or can anything be done to improve the front lights, also the lenses are for the continent and will fail the MOT and I realise I can just put some tape on, I was also wondering if I can buy lenses that are appropriate for driving on the left :?:
2. although the side mirrors are I think genuine they are also close to useless, especially on the motorway, what are the options for improving rear visibility :?:
3. am going to invest in an awning and have been looking at the inflatable ones, anyone have any experience
4. besides using photobucket can I use any other document sharing sites. Typically I use skydrive/onedrive and can embed images using an <iframe> tag but I don't think that is supported on here...

cheers

rob
robmargel
SSVC Member

Re: New Owner / Member saying hello

by beetleben » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:38 pm
Hi Rob,

1. I'm guessing you may have the sealed beam headlights still in which case you can upgrade to halogen lights. The pattern will be on the headlight and you have clear lenses on the front.
2. I assume you have the small round mirrors then. You can get bigger mirrors if you so wish. Have a look at a couple of different buses and you'll soon come across different styles.
3. Check this link out in case you missed it, awnings are currently being discussed. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100376
4. No idea i'm afraid
beetleben

by beetleben » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:46 pm
this will give you an idea of how the headlights go together and different options http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Type ... ID_259.htm
beetleben

by robmargel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:53 pm
thanks Ben - I will check that out :)

also any idea on a workshop manual for basic service stuff

the bus has a beetle IRS rear (and lowered) and I have a beetle hanes manual but cannot seem to find an equivalent book for the bus
robmargel
SSVC Member

by beetleben » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:07 pm
I'm sorry, I don't have any service books myself so I wouldn't know but i'm sure someone will chip in with the info.
Obviously theres a few options for places to buy parts but worth asking for club discount, I'm pretty sure you get 10% off at VW Heritage.
beetleben

by ted698 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm
Hi - welcome :cheers:

I would be very interested in pics of your rear seatbelts as its a winter project for me 8)

I use PhotoBucket to host any pics I put up here.

This link will tell you pretty much everything - its mostly Beetle based stuff but its all the same hey? :lol: and is used frequently by lots of people.
http://www.vw-resource.com/mihov_index.html

There was a recent thread on the merits :drunken: or not of the 'lipstick' mirrors - hahahaha
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99928

My lights were v poor too when I bought my bus - I cheated and fitted entire new Hella units (yes! they still make them!) for about £140 per lamp - they made a huge difference - in reality my old lamps just needed stripping down and new silvered bowls fitting - which are about £60 per lamp - but I did it the easy way :colors:
You could just fit RHD lamps if your buying new.

Look at this link for a full copy of the Type 2 1200 - 1600 Workshop Manual courtesy of The Samba archives :cheers:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... manual.php

Hope this helps - we are a friendly bunch - just ask away - everyone on here has been more than helpful to me :wink:

OH! and PS.... Image HAHAHAHAHAHA
ted698
SSVC Member

by robmargel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:56 pm
thanks ted

whilst I sort out a photobucket - or alternative site sorted

hopefully this link should work https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... 84%2111249

Rob
robmargel
SSVC Member

by DubMinx » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 pm
Hello Rob and welcome,
we are honest bus owners, little old strictly average, slightly mismatched gaudy to some 66 girl with dodgy headlights with 1 birthday candle power and teeny wing mirrors which move as soon as a breeze catches them. (and several water leaks)

Our solutions:
1: Try to reach all destinations by nightfall, if not pull up and get cosy for the night or guess where you're going.
2: Set both mirrors before you go out and then just forget about the passenger one and keep trying to adjust the drivers one whilst driving and as required or open the window and look out. Buses are not that big and handily cuboid.
3: We have retro metal pole awning and a khyam motordome quick errect an hour to peg down model which is ok
4: I just put photos on from my iPad which I've minimised to upload requirements but they don't archive well.

1 and 2 are part of the fun I think (plus many other foibles) we don't worry any more

Happy motoring
DubMinx

by ted698 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm
Nice bus :bounce: Pearl white? Like the signwriting.

I can see your headlights arent very 'bright' - they were like mine, the bowls inside lose their silvering and go dull, which badly affects their light output. You can fit new bowls.
ted698
SSVC Member

by Rigamortiz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Cool bus! To post, just right click on the image and copy the image location, and wrap it in some codes.

If you're looking to upgrade your headlights, I recently fitted a set of these and they're great!

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=12776

Best headlights I've had on a classic VW. I was skeptical about fitting them as I wasn't keen on the clear glass, but they did wonders for my ability to drive in the dark, with them being Halogen bulbs.

I recently refitted the RHD Hella glass from the OG headlights, which has taken it back to more original looks but still with great lighting.
Before:

After:
Rigamortiz
SSVC Member

by robmargel » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 am
thanks everyone

the sign writing is all vinyl except for the front which is painted. It was owned by http://www.fink-werkstaetten.at/ this company in Austria at some point. Originally was going to remove but have got used to it know and it adds a little more colour to the story

It is not an original VW colour and is more creamy in real life

rob
robmargel
SSVC Member

by rusty1962 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:47 am
Hi and welcome.

Your images from skydive just need putting in a bit of html code as below and should work.

[*url= http://address of your image]
[img] http://address of your image][/url]

Take out the * ( I'm just using it so it doesn't "read" the code)

I use photobucket though :wink:

Cheers
Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by beetleben » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
beetleben

by vwed » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm
As to mirrors, I have these NOS Hagus (respected German mirror maker) accessory mirrors for sale. They can be fitted either vertically or horizontally to your existing round mirrors. The picture below shows them fitted to a Beetle to give you an idea. They are called twin mirrors because the smaller section is a blind spot mirror.
Price: £50 par pair, plus £2.60 postage.
vwed