The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

new toys just in. (red9)

new toys just in. (red9)

by SCUK » Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 pm
just had a delivery of some beautiful kit from the red9 guys. have to say it looks like a work of art and can't wait to get it on the bus. should be fitting it in a couple of weeks and you'll be able to see here.. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=97088&start=90

gotta love the red9 guys dropping it off in a decked t25 pick up. sweet!

just wondered has anyone had any experience of using the kit before, and with what engines?

[/URL[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/1000ny/ ... 9.jpg.html]Image

[/URL[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/1000ny/ ... 8.jpg.html]Image

[/URL[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/1000ny/ ... 9.jpg.html]Image

SCUK

Re: new toys just in. (red9)

by rusty1962 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:02 pm
really looking forward to seeing this kit installed :cheers:

I've got the front end to fit to my bus and haven't decided about the rear yet but this looks pretty much spot on.

Post lots of photos of the install.

Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by bushi » Mon May 12, 2014 4:41 pm
Mine is being fitted as we speak (well it's almost done now) exact same kit, front and rear - same brake kit, amazing! (will steal your pics, as I only have pics when they are already dry fitted :D) I will have 2270cc type4 motor and a pro street gearbox to run with. Check out my build thread, blog and facebook page :)

And of course congrats, best decision!
bushi
SSVC Member

by SplitBusVanatic » Mon May 12, 2014 6:59 pm
You got front AND rear.
Love it.
I'm regretting now that I waited for the rear setup.
It was not available when I was installing IRS in mine.
Looks lush.
I have the front beam from red9 installed.
So easy to fit.
I put it in, in 3 hours. Alone.
SplitBusVanatic

by SCUK » Mon May 12, 2014 11:14 pm
hah, i WISH this was my kit, It actually belongs to a lovely chap called rob (rjy1966) a customer of ours who is a member and asked me to post the pics on his behalf.

one day i will have a red9 kit of my very own.

its going to be mated to a subaru 2.5 n/a engine and box, i'll take millions of pics and post them up as we carry out the install. :)
SCUK

by Skimmer » Tue May 13, 2014 6:51 am
I've got RED9 kits front and rear.
The rear was not a straight bolt on job! Due to the position of the thick welding on the red9 kit meant the chassis legs that come from the torsion bar tube did not sit into the seat for them on the red9 kit, why red9 don’t just weld them on the outside is beyond me! So out came the grinder and ground the edge off the legs, after that it fitted pretty well. I told the guys at Red9 so hopefully the fault has been fixed.

@SCUK
I have the Subaru Turbo engine and box!

I asked Red9 guys if the Subaru box would fit with their kit and they said yes!
Fitting the Subaru gear box, to get the drive shafts to be aligned with the hubs means the gearbox sits further forward so the mounts on the red9 kit where useless and served no purpose, so out came the cutter and grinder again. Then I made up some new brackets to mount the box. Also the rear bar of the red9 kit fouls the box so had to cut a section out of the box section to allow the box to fit.
Although I could of got around it the torsion tube made the fitting of the box very tight and difficult and as it was not doing much now as it has the wishbone suspension I decided to cut the central section out to make it an easier fit, also for the same reason I realised the chassis legs where not really necessary so after the earlier effort of making them fit I decided to remove them and brace up the red9 kit and torsion tube for strength.
Again I spoke to Red9 guys at Stoner show afterwards, and then they told me “Oh yes we had to cut the rear bar to get another Subaru box to fit”!

But it all fits and works now…
Skimmer

by JonnyCJ » Tue May 13, 2014 9:20 am
That skirting could do with a lick of paint....

8O
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by SCUK » Tue May 13, 2014 9:46 am
only just noticed the skirting :oops: :oops: i am ashamed :wink:

cheers for the advice skimmer, i told red9 exactly what engine and box we were using and they were adamant that it would be a straight fit so hopefully they've made some changes since yours. i will keep you posted.
SCUK

by simons121 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:38 am
I want this kit too.

Q - how does the horn work??
simons121
SSVC Member

by readyboy61 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm
Should have bought a t5 instead :P
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by matt d » Tue May 13, 2014 7:17 pm
readyboy61 wrote:Should have bought a t5 instead :P
:D
matt d

by rusty1962 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 am
simons121 wrote:I want this kit too.

Q - how does the horn work??
From what I can work out, you can't have a wire through the steering column with Red 9 so you can either fit a horn button on dash or, and I can't find it now, I'm sure I've seen a wireless set up that fits in the top of the wheel under the button. If you find it, please post it up on my thread so we don't hijack this one :wink:
Cheers,
Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by mik+nik » Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 am
CE do a replacement indicator stalk that does indicators/high beams/flash/horn mine arrived last friday, now 'STILL' waiting for pop outs :x:
mik+nik
SSVC Member

by OLD BUG RACER » Wed May 14, 2014 7:14 am
OLD BUG RACER

by vwJim » Wed May 14, 2014 7:53 am
As said above, the frame horns need a tickle with a grinder.

Also, installation sequence on the instructions probably works on a Bay, but the gearbox cradle stops a bolt being fitted so you have to fit it slightly out of sequence.

Ideally nylocs nuts are a one use item, so wish they'd pre-build it with standard nuts & supply a bag of nylocs to use on final installation.

The instructions photos show the handbrake lever at a different angle than how it is delivered. It hits the wheels / balance weights on 16" rims. So rebuilt the lever to match photos. (no mention in instructions about that)

rear kit had fabrication cracks in the support frame that will be welded up before final fit.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member