The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Register as 'light van', or 'motor caravan'?

Register as 'light van', or 'motor caravan'?

by Nik » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:53 pm
Looking to submit registration paperwork for my 59 walkthrough panel (once the museum get the birth certificate to me which they took payment for in early February :roll: )

Didn't know if if it poses any issues registering as a 'light van', or if less issues are caused registering as a 'motor caravan' going forward?

I can quite easily satisfy the criteria set by dvla to recognise it as the motor caravan, but if it's not going to cause any issues doing it as a light van (being a commercial vehicle), then I'll just do that.

Any experiences, or thoughts from anyone who's done it, or encountered any issues?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers.

Nik :D
Nik
SSVC Member

Re: Register as 'light van', or 'motor caravan'?

by Jim the Van » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:36 pm
I'm sure motor caravan as it will make it exempt from a lot of legislation and allow you to carry passengers in the back but If I'm wrong it wont take long for someone to point it out.
Jim the Van
SSVC Member

by Nik » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 pm
Thanks Jim :D

Anyone else got any thoughts, or experience with this quandary :?:

Cheers.

Nik
SSVC Member

by mjknight71 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:54 am
pretty sure to register as motor caravan certain thing are required like windows, sink, bed etc. all fixed items and not an inflatable sink......DVLA rules changed to stop a van with a couple of crates stuffed in the back becoming a motor caravan.....my panel is a 'delivery van' as per birth certificate
mjknight71

by Nik » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:33 pm
mjknight71 wrote:pretty sure to register as motor caravan certain thing are required like windows, sink, bed etc. all fixed items and not an inflatable sink......DVLA rules changed to stop a van with a couple of crates stuffed in the back becoming a motor caravan.....my panel is a 'delivery van' as per birth certificate

Did you get any issues with registration or insurance as a van rather than a camper?

I'm at place where all the prerequisites can be satisfied and don't want to make rod for my own back.

Cheers.

Nik
SSVC Member

by amd » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:53 am
Campers ( with windows ) are cheaper at Dartford toll than a van ( with no windows ). Maybe the same with other tolls? :lol:
amd

by rusty1962 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:11 am
There are different VAT rules and Company car personal tax rules for vans if you need to take any of that into consideration.
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:51 pm
I have a RHD original Devon and pretty sure that's listed as a 'Motor Caravan' on the V5....
ted698
SSVC Member

by Graham » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:03 pm
Don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but when i have tried to register a bus using the birth cert, they would not accept it as proof of age as the museum does not print their address on it. I know someone who set up his printer/computer to print it on the birth cert and got away with it.
Or you can get a dating letter from VW uk, or maybe the club.
Hope this is of some help.
Graham
SSVC Member

by Nik » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:55 pm
Thanks for the responses everyone, anyone else had issues registering using the birth cert (which they assure me is coming this week :roll: )

Any more views on the relative benefits or pitfalls of panel van versus motor caravan?

Cheers.

Nik
SSVC Member

by mjknight71 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:09 pm
no issues with it being a van so far other than the blind spot called the rhs :wink:
mjknight71

by GreenPanel » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:02 pm
I'd be tempted to say that if you can register it as a motor caravan do it, mines a panel van and is registered as such, I have fitted a camping interior in it but still had/have problems insuring it with a good few places, this is mainly due to being self employed mind so they immediately jump to the conclusion its a work van, I think if it was registered as motor caravan it may have made matters easier. (Noticed on my last insurance renewal they are now classing it as a camper on there documents even though in the past I said it was a panel and quite clearly is from exterior on valuation photo's)

There seems to be a lot of different opinions as to what makes a van a camper mind, mine is fully panelled out, has a rock & roll bed, wardrobe, overhead locker, folding table, bulkhead cupboard, buddy seat and cab bunk but have had various people, insurance and camp sites :evil: saying it isn't a camper van as has no side windows, and no sink/cooker, ( find this very annoying as in my opinion it does have windows just not as many as most :roll: which saves messing about with curtains, and even if I did have a "proper" conversion I wouldn't use sink or cooker anyway inside so why have them)
GreenPanel
SSVC Member