The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

VW Camper needed for Children's Charity in West Sussex

VW Camper needed for Children's Charity in West Sussex

by busboy.co.uk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:08 pm
Hi Guys,

I've not been on here for a while as i sold my splitty back in 2010 so feel a bit bad coming to you cap in hand.

I run Teddy Bear Run with a close friend of mine and we put on automotive events to raise funds for children's charities. Recently i have been working with the Chestnut Tree House Children's Hospice that look after children and young adults with life limiting illnesses. Every year we put on a cruise where we deliver Teddy Bears to the Hospice for the children but also raise money by charging an entry fee and also look for corporate sponsorship. More recently i was contacted by Chestnut as they had a little 4 year old boy who has a very rare condition in that he was born without a functioning digestive system. He had his 4th birthday recently and was gutted that no one bought him a real Lamborghini. We managed to find one and took it down for him and his brothers to sit in, have photos taken and a very slow drive around the yard (in the passenger seat).

Chestnut have contacted me again to see if i know anyone with a VW Camper that would be able to take a young girl to her prom in June 2015. It's a bit far in advance i know but figured i would get in early and see if there is anyone in the area willing to help that i can contact closer to the time. The reason a camper is required is that the girl has a spinal condition and is confined to a motorised wheelchair. They have a ramp to be able to get the chair into a vehicle.

Any questions please ask away.

Thanks,

John.
busboy.co.uk

Re: VW Camper needed for Children's Charity in West Sussex

by Hongkongphooey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:20 pm
Good cause, Chestnut do a lot of good work. Just out of interest do you know what sort of space the wheelchair takes?. Only reason for asking as a lot of camper interiors are quite restrictive by the side doors, I know mine is... Just a thought, hate for you to have an offer of a camper that you cant actually use on the day...
Hongkongphooey

by busboy.co.uk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:24 pm
Yes that's a good question and probably why its a good idea for me to get it out there sooner rather than later. I'll ask them for some measurements.

Thanks,

John.
busboy.co.uk

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:43 pm
Hi john, I think a micro bus would be more suitable as you can take the middle seat out and have use of the load are for turning. Campers are restricted in some ways due to the fixed furnishings. Great cause and a brilliant idea good luck :-)
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member

by JZ-77 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:26 pm
Where's the prom John?

I know a few of us down here in West Sussex but putting a definite date down for next year being a way off you may need a few possibilities!
JZ-77

by busboy.co.uk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:50 pm
Thanks guys it is an amazing cause, i got a tour of the place early this year when we handed over a big cheque it really bring it home to you, i have a son who is disabled and really made me realise that actually i have it easy compared to some.

JZ i will find out where it will be, the hospice is in Arundel.
busboy.co.uk

by David914 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:40 pm
If the chair fits in mine I'd be glad to do it. Send me dimensions of the chair, I'd hate for the girl to look/feel like cargo so it's important to me that it fits comfortably.
Pm or phone on 07543 755064
David914
SSVC Member

by busboy.co.uk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:58 am
Hi Guys,

I got the measurements this morning chair is 4ft, length 44 inches, width 25 inches.

Thanks,

John.
busboy.co.uk

by JZ-77 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:13 pm
Hey John,

From the Rock n Roll bed (Rusty lee one) to the seat bulkheads is just under 4ft and from the doors to the side panel is 5ft.

Mine is an ex micro bus and these dims are with the single buddy seat out.

If required I would of course be happy to help out if I can.
JZ-77

by paulbugman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:11 pm
sweet van jz and good luck with charity
paulbugman
SSVC Member

by David914 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:14 pm
Hi John, measured mine today. The height of the doors is an inch under 4ft. Inside I have enough room for the chair to be facing forwards inside the side doors.
My only slight issues will be that I have no way of securing the chair in place other than any brakes on the chair itself. Also there may be an issue with transporting the ramps to the venue for unloading unless they are pretty compact and would fit in the rear load are through the tailgate.
Your thoughts?
David914
SSVC Member

by busboy.co.uk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:23 pm
Awesome JZ that looks good.

I think that it has a break etc but i will confirm.

I need to check we can get her in as if the door height is just under 4ft that might be an issue unless a headrest or something comes off to be able to get her in but then if she has a spinal condition might not be able to 'duck down'....
busboy.co.uk

by twin slider » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:56 pm
Hi John
i'm based in west sussex , and would be happy to help out.....my number is 07757965435 and I can send you some pics of my van.
cheers Noel
twin slider

by busboy.co.uk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 am
Hi Guys,

Sorry i've not replied for a while i've been extremely busy working towards getting a package together for LeMans next year so we can go down with the Teddy Bear Run.

I was at Chestnut Tree House again yesterday, we took a few cars down to show the kids which they loved.

Discussing the girl in question and working out what we can do, is there anyone in Worthing that would be able to go round and see if her chair will fit ?

The parents have a ramp to enable her to get up its just a case of seeing if her chair can be adjuested to clear the doorway.

Thanks,

John.
busboy.co.uk

by JZ-77 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:37 pm
Hey John,

PM me regarding when you want to do it and pending work we can sort something out for you to take dims.
JZ-77