The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Pros and cons of a rat bus

Pros and cons of a rat bus

by idris » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:46 pm
I dare say this sounds like a stupid question from an ignorant noob, but forgive me …

I get that the rat look looks kind of cool. That it keeps busses, especially commercials, as they originally were … which is cool. That in a world full of Chelase tractors it's non-conformist … so cool. That patina doesn't necessarily mean mechanically unsound.

But if you cut me in half it would say Frustrated Engineer and my gut says rust isn't cool.

What are the practicalities of living with the rat look? Cost of buying? MOTs? A damp interior?
idris

Re: Pros and cons of a rat bus

by nige1171 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:51 pm
Park it anywhere and not worry about scratches?
nige1171
SSVC Member

by pokey » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Mot shouldn't be difficult should still have sorted mechanicals, don't see why you would get a damp interior? Also with the lack of paint it's easier to see what your getting isn't full of filler
pokey
SSVC Member

by split999 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:48 am
If it gets nicked there's a likely chance it will get pulled over by the Police anyway?

:D
split999
SSVC Member

by paulbugman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:21 am
the only downfall i get from a ratty bus ,is people asking me when i`m going to paint it , "not going to "is my answer
paulbugman
SSVC Member

by maddison » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05 am
stop using the term rat look !!!! its not cool :lol:

are you talking about an original bus that showing its age
or
are you talking about a bus that been intentionally made to look in worse condtion than it is
or
Are you talking about a bus , that actually IS a piece of sh!t deathtrap
maddison
SSVC Member

by Hongkongphooey » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 am
^^^^ This ^^^^ :coffee2:

Van with sorted/uprated mechanicals & original paint is the best for me, no worries of shiny paint to get scratched, means I can use it and not be paranoid.
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member

by silversteve » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:45 pm
maddison wrote:stop using the term rat look !!!! its not cool :lol:

Beat me to it :lol:
silversteve
SSVC Member

by clymoj » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm
There is a difference between a bus which has had a few lower panels restored and blended, waxed to within an inch of its life and kept in a garage...and a bus that someone found in a yard, bled the brakes and is driving what's left of it to work every day.

OK so I'm exaggerating but I have noticed a difference in particular between UK and US versions of terms like 'patina' (rust), 'rust free' (needs welding for MOT), 'survivor' (needs light restoration), 'usual rust' (needs full restoration), 'rat look' (not economically repairable)... ;)
clymoj

by type21f » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:48 am
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like the OG NOS debate.....LOL
type21f
SSVC Member

by scottish splitty » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:53 pm
idris wrote: my gut says rust isn't cool.
Hi
Always trust your gut,
plus do you really want to drive about in a van that looks like a piece of .....
Just make it shiny,use it ,park it where you want,if it gets scratched/bashed just fix it(or don't ) ..... :wink:
scottish splitty
SSVC Member

by Archie3781 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:47 am
I was on the fence for a while, looking around at buses and trying to find my next project, after seeing some really dismally finished vans displaying really awful "restored" paint jobs, I started looking at OG buses, then after maybe 5 more overpriced again poorly finished rides, purchased a Californian 65 microbus, with OG paint.
Being a complete perfectionist at heart, I cannot wait till it's ready, with it's faded worn out OG paint, a few dings here and there, plus some life scars giving it real character, and yes I've restored everything bar the body, reusing all the bits it's been wearing for the last 50 years, because it seems right, everywhere I've had the bus it gets admirers, so I'm sold, no more worrying about it getting scratched or door bumped at sainsburys....
Here's a thought, next time you see a totally restored bus, look really close, the ones at a lot of the shows this year, just don't have any life left in them, and seem, well characterless.
Archie3781
SSVC Member

by type21f » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:08 am
For Peebles, I have gone...restored body shiny paint retored interior panels and wood work and pp top. Trying to retain some OG character...
The VW seat covers were beyond saving being brittle but the interior looks well lived in..
So Keep it stock almost..
My 65 is totally OG OG OG, dents dings rust and all...LOL
type21f
SSVC Member

by idris » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:53 pm
Ha ha! I knew it was a stupid noob question. So today I've learned that "rat look" isn't cool … even if it looks cool. (Oh ******. This is more complicated than I thought.)

I'm surprised there are busses with well weathered, but original paint (I'm guessing that's what OG means) that don't need a shed load of welding to stop the rain getting in, (or filler falling out) but what do I know!
idris

by type21f » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:42 pm
I think there is lo's of sense is mechanical restoration. ..even with a slight upgrade.

Whilst maintaining the original patina and metalwork by blowing in paint to blend into the OG .....

But I do not like purposefully making a bus look rough. ...and so up in. .

But then I am a stock man...
LOL.
type21f
SSVC Member