The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

Calling all dormobile / martin walker roof owners

Calling all dormobile / martin walker roof owners

by monkey » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:51 pm
Guys

I need some help regarding measurements for correctly placing the poptop roof.

Unfortunately the half of the roof where the hinges were mounted was rotten and had to be replaced. So I have no guide to work from.

Could someone with 10 minutes (and preferably an original fitted roof) please take some pics and some measurements for me? I need to understand the correct position of the front hinge and back hinge. You can use any datum points for the measurements, as long as you take pictures to support / explain it.

Thanks for your help on this one. It's really important that I get it right.
monkey
-

Re: Calling all dormobile / martin walker roof owners

by monkey » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:15 am
Would anyone be able to help me out with this request?

I can't progress to fitting the headlining until I have the hinges in position (I want to use screws and nuts to hold it on, not self taping screws)

Thanks for your help.
monkey
-

by skipps » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 pm
Hi monkey
Give me a couple of days and ill get you some measurements and photos, I had my pop top replaced but the support struts are original Martin Walters and were not removed just fitted new top to them so should be just what you require.... skipps (Dave)
skipps
-

by monkey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm
skipps wrote:
Hi monkey
Give me a couple of days and ill get you some measurements and photos, I had my pop top replaced but the support struts are original Martin Walters and were not removed just fitted new top to them so should be just what you require.... skipps (Dave)

Awesome mate!

Please take as many pictures and measurements as you can.

Many thanks

Matt
monkey
-

by Bus-Yed » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:58 am
How far are you from sedgley ,dudley ? ive got a rhd 66 rotting on the drive ( devon with that type roof) and my buddy has a rhd 67 devon in the next street come have a cuppa and take as many pics and measurements as you like ( as long as you dont mind spiders and mould lol) .....and thats just the cups ! ;)
Bus-Yed
-

by monkey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:12 pm
Bus-Yed wrote:
How far are you from sedgley ,dudley ? ive got a rhd 66 rotting on the drive ( devon with that type roof) and my buddy has a rhd 67 devon in the next street come have a cuppa and take as many pics and measurements as you like ( as long as you dont mind spiders and mould lol) .....and thats just the cups ! ;)

Thanks, I could be up for doing that mate. I'm about an hour away. Let's see if skips comes through 1st though, as it could save me a journey.

Thanks again for the offer, will let you know.

Matt
monkey
-

by barndoorz » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:07 am
Here you go, yell out if you need more detail, I hope you make sense of them!

Sorry, not the best photo to show the angle iron in roof aperture. From the rear qtr body seam is a good datum point, place the hinge in roof gutter and then double check the 115mm measurement.

Second image shows front hinge location, again using the angle iron of front of roof aperture. Check other photos to help confirm.

Photo below, running a line up from front of first window behind 'B' pillar

Strip of ply up from window aperture and laying over hinge, 33mm from there to back of hinge.

Hey, this is all as clear, (as mud), to me because I measured it, hope you make sense of it, like I mentioned, just yell out if you need more.

barndoorz
-

by skipps » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:34 am
Hi monkey sorry for the delay just about to send through photos and measurements then reread your needs ..I've miss read it and done both main struts not the side hinge's so bear with me I'll get them done today,they look to be in almost the same position as the photos you've been sent as I used the old hinges on the new pop top so never removed them from the roof....skipps
skipps
-

by monkey » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:06 am
Barndoorz, that is just awesome. Thanks so much for doing that for me. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Skipps, please do. It will be good to get a comparison, as I doubt they put everyone in the same position.
monkey
-

by barndoorz » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:42 am
monkey wrote:
Barndoorz, that is just awesome. Thanks so much for doing that for me. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Skipps, please do. It will be good to get a comparison, as I doubt they put everyone in the same position.

You're welcome. I'm keen to see Skipps measurements for comparison as well.

That is all OG paint in those photos, I have been toiling away on this Bus for a long time, pretty much have all the small rust repairs done, paint blended etc.

No doubt I will be asking for advice on the rebuild of the Dormobile roof, I have all new parts to do so including a new green striped bellow as per original from Dormobile in the UK.
barndoorz
-

by monkey » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:23 am
barndoorz wrote:
monkey wrote:

You're welcome. I'm keen to see Skipps measurements for comparison as well.

That is all OG paint in those photos, I have been toiling away on this Bus for a long time, pretty much have all the small rust repairs done, paint blended etc.

No doubt I will be asking for advice on the rebuild of the Dormobile roof, I have all new parts to do so including a new green striped bellow as per original from Dormobile in the UK.

No problem dude. Feel free to ask any questions you need to. I'll be fitting it in jan.
monkey
-

by skipps » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:47 pm
Hi Monkey have pmd you
skipps
-

by monkey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:40 am
Thanks to skipps for these pictures.

He's just going to measure the height above the gutter for me, as my hinges weren't previously in the gutter, but just above it like on Skipps van.

monkey
-

by monkey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:00 am
Guys. Could I ask you both to take 2 other measurements for me please?

Please could you measure from the rear gutter to the rear edge of the hole and from the centre of the gutter at the front to the front edge of the hole? I'm wondering if there is a difference due to where they cut the hole. After all, I doubt they were very accurate or ever did it exactly the same.

Thanks guys!
monkey
-

by monkey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:52 pm
Daves just dropped me a note to with the measurements..

They are .. Front 1180mm from the inside of opening to the gutter ( not to the gutter outer edge as it's hard to measure )
Rear... From inside to gutter 720mm ( measurement taken same as front )
monkey
-