The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Had anyone heard from Passion4 ?

Had anyone heard from Passion4 ?

by e m p i » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:39 pm
Just wondered if anyone has spoken to him as he's had a bit of a nightmare during his road trip :( :(
I did have his number but it got deleted when my old phone died.

Cheers, Lee.
e m p i

Re: Had anyone heard from Passion4 ?

by NikC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:40 pm
Yeh, he's posted about the nightmare on facebook :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NikC
SSVC Member

by nige1171 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:41 pm
Was that his bus that caught fire??
nige1171
SSVC Member

by NikC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:08 pm
NikC
SSVC Member

by Biglozzer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:26 pm
That's awful. :(
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:08 pm
That is gut wrenching, so sorry the see this Chris :-(
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:41 pm
I'm in France at the moment and as soon as I saw Chris's heartbreaki pictures I thought I'd better have a look at my bus parked under the out building

To notice a smell of fuel as I filled up yesterday locally for a little trip this Thursday. These original fuel caps don't have breather holes so NEVER fill up to the neck, which I did, as the fuel swells and oozes out of the fuel cap like this pic I've just taken

I'll wait till the morning and release the pressure and siphon some fuel out. Will also check all my fuel lines :-( sad day for a nice guy. Chin up Chris.
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member

by SAMBA VAN MAN » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm
Jesus I didn't realise it was passion 4 :( How far do you fill up a tank? just first click of the trigger?
SAMBA VAN MAN
SSVC Member

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:59 pm
I think first click as long as the nozzle is in as far as it goes so to leave a descent length of the neck to be clear for any expansion in the tank. Also it doesn't help if it's a hot sunny day and you have parked in the street with the fuel flap in the pavement side as most roads slope down into the kerb and you end up with a leaning bus :-/
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member

by passion4 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:31 pm
Hey guys, thanks for the concern, yeah I was flown back from Perpignan on Saturday, and even now I’m struggling to get my head around it all! :(

To say I’m devastated is an understatement :cry: I was one week into a 3 week road trip after Ninove, and was fulfilling a long held persoanal dream when it all happened. I have no idea what caused it, I suspect I never will. Just glad we managed to get the bus off the forecourt before the fire spread any further to the petrol pumps etc. 8O

The camper is totally gutted, everything inside is gone, but the main thing is that no-one was hurt! Some great memories were made, and that is what I’ll try to hold on to. According to my wife, there is only one of me… vans can be replaced!
passion4
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:04 pm
Hey Chris,
Glad you are ok. I'm really really gutted for you mate and I know how much work you put into that bus :( . I'm kinda lost for what to say to be honest.
Not sure what I can do to help but if you think of anything you've got my number/email address so just let me know.
Hopefully it hasn't put you off split buses and you'll get another one and have as much fun and adventure as you did in that one :)
Speak to you soon mate
Cheers, Lee.
e m p i

by andy f » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:48 pm
Just read the vdubxs, gutted for you, at least you got out unhurt.

All the best
Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by matt d » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:40 pm
So sorry to hear this. At a petrol station too so i suppose it could have been much worse.
I wish for all our sakes you knew what the cause was. Was the engine really hot and did you fill it right up? Ive filled mine up a bit too much on a few occasions and the smell of fuel and the sight of it all over the place is scary. The one time it happened i was parked on a slope so we pushed it out of the way to level ground without turning on the ignition.
matt d

by dombutler » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:08 am
Crap.

Chris, seeing your bus burned out gave me nightmares.
I'm sure it is everyone worst nightmare.
Glad your both o.k.

What happens now?
Do you have to wait for the insurance assessors to go and see it?

If you need any help at all, I am in Hastings.
Cheers,
Dom.
dombutler
SSVC Member

by passion4 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 am

I’ve been in contact with insurance and the process has begun. They have to initially assess the van back in the UK, so they are going to arrange getting it recovered from Port La Nouvelle in the south of France back to the UK…
passion4
SSVC Member