The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

recommended audio set-up for a camper?

recommended audio set-up for a camper?

by passion4 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:12 pm
OK, with the sad demise f my camper recently, along with it went my old skool audio set-up I had collected and had installed over the years. It was old, but had a good sound to it.

Upfront I had the following;
Alpine CDA-9813R 60w head-unit driving
Alpine SXE 1350S component speakers
Alpine KCA-420i iPod connector

In the back I had;
Alpine SWR1021D subwoofer
Driven by a Rockford Fossgate 60w Punch amp
Plus a pair of FNQ1406 6-1/2" Rockford Fosgate Fanatic Q Mid-Bass speakers Driven by a Rockford Fossgate 40w Punch amp

Unfortunately it is all now destroyed and so I need another system

Any suggestions or advice as as to what sort of route to go? Is it worth looking a complete new system (out of touch with what's what) or look at maybe another older system of component parts again?

I suspect my budget from insurance will be pathetically small (£500), but I can look to add to this to get a decent sounding system.
passion4
SSVC Member

Re: recommended audio set-up for a camper?

by Ollie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:53 pm
Amp plus iPhone for da tunes.

If you want radio 4 (like i do) maybe go for an older style radio.

Cheers...

Ollie
Ollie
SSVC Member

by passion4 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:02 pm
Ollie wrote:Amp plus iPhone for da tunes.

If you want radio 4 (like i do) maybe go for an older style radio.

Cheers...

Ollie

Radio 4 obviously! ;)
passion4
SSVC Member

by Nik » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:56 am
Hi there.

The parameters for creating a decent sound stage remain pretty much as they did with the original system you describe, amp and speaker/sub wise, the main things that have moved on are in the source department.

If you enjoy the radio and don't want have to stream IP radio via a phone connection, then DAB is going to be a must now (and you'll get 4 xtra :cheers: ), they all come with fm too so we can avoid the analogue digital debate.

You will need to address the antenna issue, but if you are running an external telescopic for your fm then a splitter behind the head unit will give you the DAB antenna connection you need alongside the traditional fm:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/UniversalPro ... =CT27AA136

If you aren't disc based any more then there's a lot to be said for a mech free head unit without a cd loader built-in as it saves space, cost and complexity. They provide most universal connections such as 3.5mm, or RCAs for aux in, USB for changing a handset, or playing tracks from a thumb drive and some provide Bluetooth streaming using A2DP, but never as good quality as a wired connection.

Hope this helps.

Nik :)
Nik
SSVC Member

by passion4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:22 am
Nik wrote:Hi there.

The parameters for creating a decent sound stage remain pretty much as they did with the original system you describe, amp and speaker/sub wise, the main things that have moved on are in the source department.

If you enjoy the radio and don't want have to stream IP radio via a phone connection, then DAB is going to be a must now (and you'll get 4 xtra :cheers: ), they all come with fm too so we can avoid the analogue digital debate.

You will need to address the antenna issue, but if you are running an external telescopic for your fm then a splitter behind the head unit will give you the DAB antenna connection you need alongside the traditional fm:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/UniversalPro ... =CT27AA136

If you aren't disc based any more then there's a lot to be said for a mech free head unit without a cd loader built-in as it saves space, cost and complexity. They provide most universal connections such as 3.5mm, or RCAs for aux in, USB for changing a handset, or playing tracks from a thumb drive and some provide Bluetooth streaming using A2DP, but never as good quality as a wired connection.

Hope this helps.

Nik :)

Thanks Nik, yeah DAB would be great, especially for TMS :)

I'll probably still listen to cd's, although mostly MP3 cd compilations, but it is nice to have the option I suppose.
passion4
SSVC Member

by clymoj » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:55 am
As you know it depends what you want to achieve. I've been trying to make mine more discreet and all my music is on my iphone so I have got hold of (but not installed yet) an Alpine ezi-dab and some parts to make an ashtray ipod dock.

The ezi-dab acts as a controller and in line feed for the iphone so you have one small discreet interface for everything which you can mount anywhere and a single connection onwards to the amp. I was planning to potentially then remove my head unit and put an in line volume knob to my current amp and speakers or maybe investigate amps with remote controls.

One downside will be the loss of FM radio but I only really listen to DAB channels so if I can't get DAB I'll switch to listening to the iphone anyway. Another downside will be the loss of a remote control that I can use in the back, although the ipod dock will have one built in and if I get a new amp then that will have one too. A third downside will be the loss of an EQ, although I could always buy a separate module for that. The massive upside would be not having a head unit in my dash.

On the remotes front, my current setup uses an iJet iNav which was one of the only RF remotes I could find for my iphone - so I can have the iphone plugged in and hidden but still use the remote control to skip tracks. This allowed me to still use my old Sony M750 tape head unit - the one with no buttons on the front so it actually doesn't look too incongruous in the dash compared to a lot I've seen.

Hope that gives you a couple of alternative ideas anyway.
clymoj

by passion4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:13 am
clymoj wrote:As you know it depends what you want to achieve. I've been trying to make mine more discreet and all my music is on my iphone so I have got hold of (but not installed yet) an Alpine ezi-dab and some parts to make an ashtray ipod dock.

The ezi-dab acts as a controller and in line feed for the iphone so you have one small discreet interface for everything which you can mount anywhere and a single connection onwards to the amp. I was planning to potentially then remove my head unit and put an in line volume knob to my current amp and speakers or maybe investigate amps with remote controls.

One downside will be the loss of FM radio but I only really listen to DAB channels so if I can't get DAB I'll switch to listening to the iphone anyway. Another downside will be the loss of a remote control that I can use in the back, although the ipod dock will have one built in and if I get a new amp then that will have one too. A third downside will be the loss of an EQ, although I could always buy a separate module for that. The massive upside would be not having a head unit in my dash.

On the remotes front, my current setup uses an iJet iNav which was one of the only RF remotes I could find for my iphone - so I can have the iphone plugged in and hidden but still use the remote control to skip tracks. This allowed me to still use my old Sony M750 tape head unit - the one with no buttons on the front so it actually doesn't look too incongruous in the dash compared to a lot I've seen.

Hope that gives you a couple of alternative ideas anyway.

The Alpine ezi-dab looks very interesting… 8)
passion4
SSVC Member

by clymoj » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:39 am
passion4 wrote:The Alpine ezi-dab looks very interesting… 8)

Yes it's pretty much the same as the version Pure brought out but more readily available. The control unit runs from the tuckaway box using a USB cable so within the limits of USB length you should be able to put it anywhere, including plugging an extension cable to the back for when you're parked up.

If you're buying a new head unit then one with DAB and ipod/mp3 control makes more sense but I wanted to use the one I already had from another car and also had this idea of hiding everything and just having that little control face tucked away somewhere.
clymoj

by passion4 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:55 am
clymoj wrote:
passion4 wrote:The Alpine ezi-dab looks very interesting… 8)

Yes it's pretty much the same as the version Pure brought out but more readily available. The control unit runs from the tuckaway box using a USB cable so within the limits of USB length you should be able to put it anywhere, including plugging an extension cable to the back for when you're parked up.

If you're buying a new head unit then one with DAB and ipod/mp3 control makes more sense but I wanted to use the one I already had from another car and also had this idea of hiding everything and just having that little control face tucked away somewhere.

Yeah, yeah head units have all the connectivity built straight in, but I was recommended the old skool Alpine CDA-9813R because of its sound quality, not sure what would be comparable with modern head units?
passion4
SSVC Member

by passion4 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:56 pm
Anyone got recommendations on decent component speakers?
passion4
SSVC Member

by Choc » Sun May 17, 2015 2:34 pm
Once an Alpine lover, always an Alpine lover, been rocking Alpines 20+ years.

Alpine head unit, alpine amp, JL Audio sub & component speakers.

Amps these days are really small but pack just as much punch as an old skool amp and they were massive!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23102&start=135

I know folks aren't keen to cut up their interior up for audio installation but hey, once its done its done, do it!! :twisted:

PM me for more details if you wish. :D
Choc
SSVC Member

by masterjedi » Sun May 17, 2015 7:25 pm
Choc wrote:Once an Alpine lover, always an Alpine lover, been rocking Alpines 20+ years.

Alpine head unit, alpine amp, JL Audio sub & component speakers.

Amps these days are really small but pack just as much punch as an old skool amp and they were massive!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23102&start=135

I know folks aren't keen to cut up their interior up for audio installation but hey, once its done its done, do it!! :twisted:

PM me for more details if you wish. :D

how about the Holy grail Alpine 7909 .
masterjedi