The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

microwaves and inverters

microwaves and inverters

by chrystal » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:57 am
Is it possible to run a 800w microwave of an inverter? If so what size inverter to get and how long would a lb last before it went flat (100a lb) cheers
chrystal

Re: microwaves and inverters

by dombutler » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:21 am
Hi,
yes you can run a microwave, though some inverters don't like it. At a rough guess you would need a 2000w inverter and I would say on paper your battery would last about an hour, in reality it is probably half that as you don't want to flatten a leisure battery as it will damage it.

There are some 12v microwaves on eBay, they use about 500w, so your battery would last 1-2 hours max.
dombutler

by CCSICeman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:15 pm
Proper leisure batteries are designed to be used till flat.
CCSICeman
SSVC Member

by dombutler » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:20 pm
CCSICeman wrote:Proper leisure batteries are designed to be used till flat.

I was told that it would damage the battery and there would be a problem charging it from flat.
dombutler

by clymoj » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:56 pm
dombutler wrote:
CCSICeman wrote:Proper leisure batteries are designed to be used till flat.

I was told that it would damage the battery and there would be a problem charging it from flat.

One of the many areas where there is much discussion and mis-perception. I don't claim to fully understand all of it but as far as I know:

A leisure battery isn't necessarily a deep cycle battery. And a deep cycle battery isn't necessarily a 'true deep cycle' battery. And even a true deep cycle battery will only withstand 80% discharging. And even then it'll still last longer if you keep it above around 50% charge.

A good rule of thumb seems to be that if your battery cost you less than £800 then you can't discharge it without killing it. And if it came from Halfords and has a picture of a caravan on the front then you've just paid three times the price to get a big car battery. I'm oversimplifying of course ;)

If you want to read more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_cycle_battery
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq.htm
clymoj