The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Speedometer issues

Speedometer issues

by Murphy77 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 pm
Hi there folks,
I have just figured out how to post a general message after about an hour which included a private message I sent myself and another which just vanished. Anyway here goes third time lucky, I've not long had a 1966 splitscreen with a faulty speedometer. I bought a reconditioned one and changed it out to then find that it doesn't suit my 15" wheels, the original ones mile counter stopped a few hundred miles ago and the needle sometimes does a full 360 degrees before falling back against the stop. Before joining SSVC I had read about a gentleman called Peter Banks who apparently fixed many of the VDO speedometers and wondered if anyone could point me in his direction assuming he still does this kind of thing.
I would appreciate any help offered by anyone and thank anyone who has taken the time to read this short novel.
:?
Murphy77

Re: Speedometer issues

by 8 8US » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:30 am
Welcome Murphy77 and thanks for the novel!

Peter doesn't do them anymore but take a look at the threads on this search:-

search.php?keywords=thorsten

Heard very good things about Thorsten, pretty sure he can calibrate the speedo too, as an alternative Smiths do this:-

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/split-b ... StartRow=1

Which you calibrate yourself, did see it at Busfest last year and it looks okay, if you are an SSVC member you'll get a discount at VW Heritage, it is available elsewhere and may well be cheaper, I have just posted the first link I could find.

Richard
8 8US
SSVC Member

by Murphy77 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:03 am
Thank you very much Richard I will have a look at this, I did wonder about Peter when I saw the dates of the last posting about him. It just proves good valuable people like Peter are few and far between and unfortunately it seems I missed the bus on this one, thanks again for the information and I will post the results if it helps anyone else with the same issues.

Keith.
Murphy77

by Hongkongphooey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:15 pm
Thorsten has a very good rep on here, I used Speedy Cables in Swansea, took them a little while but did a great job on mine. re claibrated to silly tyre size too so I now have an accurate speedo :)
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member

by Murphy77 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:31 pm
That's great folks, thank you for your help. I'm not in any rush and it's good to know that they both have good reviews, the north end of the country is a wee bit sparse on most things for the bus but with helpful people like yourselves it's made a lot easier and I really appreciate that :D
Keith.
Murphy77

by e m p i » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 pm
If the speedo is recallibrated by speedy cables to read correct speed does it also mean the milometer also reads correct?

Cheers, Lee.
e m p i

by Murphy77 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:49 pm
I contacted them today asking lots of questions so hopefully I get a reply soon, that was one of my questions so will see what they say when they get back and I will post the answers.

Keith.
Murphy77

by Hongkongphooey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:17 am
My speedo now reads correctly for the MPH and the Milometer, there was a form on the Speedy Cables website to fill in some measurements for them to calibrate too, along the lines of making a mark on the road and on the tyre then measuring distances travelled for one rotation of the wheel, and I think x10 rotations, cant remember now, then the obvious wheel diameter etc etc and any variations on wheel rotations and speedo cable end rotations (Not applicable to a splittie as it is a direct drive cable), all sent off when I sent the speedo, checked it against my GPS when I got it back and it is spot on perfect :D . (used to over read by about 10mph by the time I was at an actual 70mph. oh 185/55x15 tyres BTW...
Hongkongphooey
SSVC Member

by beetleben » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:40 pm
Seen Thorsten's work and its amazing, cost was cheaper than speedy cables quoted me too and the turnaround was much faster.
Could always drive the split with a Satnav in the meantime to keep an eye on your speed :wink:
beetleben

by gazzahazza » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:17 am
Just had a speedo refurbished by Thorsten (VW-Museum). It looks brand spanking new now! haven't installed it yet but if it functions as good as teh finish it was well worth the expense. I think for what i got he is very reasonable.
gazzahazza

by flatbeat » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:10 pm
I got this. Solves the problem of accuracy.
GPS Speedo
GPS Speedo
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by Vwstu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:12 pm
That looks cool, liking the gps idea, are there any down sides to it?
Vwstu

by flatbeat » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:05 pm
Other than it obviously isn't original,none that I can think of....except I haven't fitted it yet! Might have to modify the pod a bit to get it in but it won't be by much, if at all. For me and what I'm doing the benefits outlay any loss of originality, and it ain't that for off in looks.
FYI it also does 0-60 time, 1/4 mile, longitude and latitude and a whole load of other stuff.
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by Vwstu » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:04 pm
Looks good to me and sounds like a great idea to fit one.
Vwstu