The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Very hot weekend

Very hot weekend

by DOUGAL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm
How many busses where on fire last weekend????

This is one of them:
Samba on fire

But I've heard of a couple more.

I still have to install my 'Savemybug oil temp sensor':
Savemybug oil temp sensor

And got my firetec installed a few years back:
Firetec

Please take care of your bus and hopefully it won't happen to you.

Gertjan
DOUGAL
SSVC Member

Re: Very hot weekend

by DOUGAL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 pm
2nd one:

DOUGAL
SSVC Member

by NikC » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:45 pm
3rd one is on Facebook, think it was a westy !
NikC
SSVC Member

by ShutterbugUK » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:47 pm
I'm fitting my oil sensor on Friday before I head out for the weekend, and the firetec hose was the first thing we fitted two years ago.

I'm still worried though, with three little ones strapped into car seats in the back, it's not a quick process to get them out and they're sat next to the engine! 8O
ShutterbugUK
SSVC Member

by pokey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:02 pm
fuel cut off solenoid? like the thought of them, going to fit one when i finish my resto
pokey

by readyboy61 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:11 pm
WHY these things have survived this long but why are they all going up in flames, my money is on the poor unregulated not fit for purpose after market parts and the influx of people with no clue or mrchanical know how treating them like new cars and not maintaining them as the should
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by amd » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 pm
Am getting paranoid now, fire extinguisher in engine bay fitted a year or two back, have just renewed all fuel lines, got rîd of fuel filter from engine bay,fitted save my bug temp sensor, but after seeing a mates bug today that took 3 fire extinguishers to put out ( before the fire brigade arrived ) I think another large one by me & a fuel cut off are going to be needed,just in case.
amd

by vwJim » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:09 am
readyboy61 wrote:WHY these things have survived this long but why are they all going up in flames, my money is on the poor unregulated not fit for purpose after market parts and the influx of people with no clue or mrchanical know how treating them like new cars and not maintaining them as the should

Yep...
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by ToMMo555 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:43 am
vwJim wrote:
readyboy61 wrote:WHY these things have survived this long but why are they all going up in flames, my money is on the poor unregulated not fit for purpose after market parts and the influx of people with no clue or mrchanical know how treating them like new cars and not maintaining them as the should

Yep...

Plus the introduction of Ethanol into today's unleaded petrol
ToMMo555
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:57 am
I pulled my engine before the weekend, and the fuel lines that have been on for 12 years looked like new. Jen checked her's that are 5 years old and again like new.

These hoses that are failing after a short period must be fitted badly, (worked on one where they're failing within a year from installation error), or wrong spec' / counterfeit copy crap.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by Warebus » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:22 am
When I had my Bay I had a narrow escape with perished fuel lines while away camping , replaced them with stuff from local spares place, just over a year later I was working under the bus and noticed fuel dripping . They had rotted again!
When doing the fuel lines on my Split (one of the first things I did!!) I found the pipe from the tank to the fuel pump was old rubber gas pipe! I now have R9, a Firetec extinguisher and a Save My Bug all fitted.
I will still replace the lines every couple of years , for the tenner or so it costs, its not worth taking the chance.
Warebus
SSVC Member

by 8 8US » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:20 am
See this webpage for some great information on hoses and clips.

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm
8 8US
SSVC Member