The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

waxoyl /underseal good or bad

waxoyl /underseal good or bad

by mikey52 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:54 am
hi
my bus is just about to come out of the spray shop and before I start to rebuild it I was going to diy job on waxoyl to the shell and then hand spray a underseal while using a ramp hire facility in Milton Keynes

firstly is waxoyl the best product to use any good or bad comments ?

is there a proper diagram use /area that covers all the sections to be done or is it a case of filling every section

on the spray on underseal which is the best product to use ?

I bought a batch of sound deadening panels of a ssvc member with self adhesive backing would this be best applied first before waxoyl

hopefully someone can advise me

regards mike howard
mikey52
SSVC Member

Re: waxoyl /underseal good or bad

by maddison » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:45 am
wax oil any/every cavity you can see or find ;-)
maddison
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:28 am
I've been using Bilt Hambers S50 cavity wax - the aerosols are huge!

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-pro ... /dynax-s50

Stick your sound deadening pads on first, as nothing will stick to wayoyl/S50 once its on.

I would also be tempted to build up as much as the car as you can before spraying this stuff on, as you will be covered in it for evermore!

MarkP's thread shows how he rust treated his - he sealed every joint & orifice with seam sealer first - which I have to say seems like a good idea.
ted698
SSVC Member

by JeffB » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:20 pm
see similar thread 'rust proofing'
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65863

Waxoyl dries hard, can then crack and trap water

My two pennuth' taken from the thread ...
at the SSVC technical weekend, Stuart used Teroson. Terotex HV350 on the doors, inside cavities etc and the black Wax on the underneath.

4 cans of HV350 and 5 cans of the wax.

He used to do this professionally and also sprayed his own bus 25years ago, with only minor touch ups, he's never needed to weld.

Eddy managed to buy some of the web but not easy to track down now.

I'll update in 25 years if I recommend it...
JeffB
SSVC Member

by stu(pid) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:59 pm
Any these any of the HV350 products?
http://www.eurocarparts.com/stone-chip-protection
stu(pid)

by split999 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:36 pm
There's many products on the market, but don't use Waxoyl. As already said it goes brittle and cracks.
split999
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:00 pm
I think any cavity wax treatment is a yearly treatment to keep maximum protection.

Terroson Super 3000 was recommended to me by a high end restoration company. Nearly £20 a tin. Over Over-paintable, textured gloss finish if you don't over paint it.

I've used some on the outer chassis. This weekend I'm using Terroson RecordHS on the internal chassis / panels, again over-paintable, slightly cheaper but not by much.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by matt d » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:32 am
ted698 wrote:I've been using Bilt Hambers S50 cavity wax - the aerosols are huge!

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-pro ... /dynax-s50

Stick your sound deadening pads on first, as nothing will stick to wayoyl/S50 once its on.

I would also be tempted to build up as much as the car as you can before spraying this stuff on, as you will be covered in it for evermore!

MarkP's thread shows how he rust treated his - he sealed every joint & orifice with seam sealer first - which I have to say seems like a good idea.

Good advice

The S50 is great stuff. It will creep into any gap much better than waxoyl and is very easy to apply being an aerosol with a long cavity tube supplied. I'd paint the underside of the bus rather than coat everything with under seal and then just spray some S50 into the nooks and crannies. Obviously blast all the cavities with the stuff.
matt d

by readyboy61 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:06 pm
urrm your sound deadening usually goes on the inside not the outside
readyboy61
SSVC Member