The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Camp sites trying to charge double

Camp sites trying to charge double

by joannedoyle » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:08 pm
Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as us when booking campsites.

We went to an haven site near Filey at the start of the school holidays. We have the vw and a tent for the kids.
While I was pitching up a warden came over and said you can't park the camper there it's tents only. I said did you say that to the t4 owners, the transit owners and the range rover with the largest tent I've seen ever. He said there not campers and yours is.
He suggested paying for a motor home pitch and puting the bus there but leaving the kids at the other side of the camp site in the tent.
I told him it's not a camper it's a vw van same as the other t4s on the campsite and we are not sleeping in it. He said he will be checking on us( jobs worth)
I have now just emailed a park resorts site in Wales for a pitch with the same setup and they won't allow me on unless I book 2 pitches (1 motor home pitch and 1 tent only pitch) at opposite sides of the site.
So you could turn up in a vehicle twice the size of a classic vw with the largest tent available, or a suv with a massive tourer and pay once but own a classic vw and pay double .
Is this scene tax :)
joannedoyle
SSVC Member

Re: Camp sites trying to charge double

by stu(pid) » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:04 pm
All too familiar story. Have had this with tent, Eriba, and teardrop trailer. Buy one of the huge tents and then park inside it!!!!!
stu(pid)

by MrPotatoHead » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:15 pm
The lesson is, don't stay on big commercial sites that try to maximise their margins. Go for the smaller, quiet, laid back places that do it to provide a great environment, not to be millionaires. Most don't even allow the big motor homes in. I'd recommend the Cool Camping website to find one ( https://www.coolcamping.co.uk/ ) You'll find that the only campers allowed are "small VW campers" and you will be treated like royalty ;)
MrPotatoHead
SSVC Member

by Claushema » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:15 pm
MrPotatoHead wrote:The lesson is, don't stay on big commercial sites that try to maximise their margins. Go for the smaller, quiet, laid back places that do it to provide a great environment, not to be millionaires. Most don't even allow the big motor homes in. I'd recommend the Cool Camping website to find one ( https://www.coolcamping.co.uk/ ) You'll find that the only campers allowed are "small VW campers" and you will be treated like royalty ;)

I second that.
Claushema
SSVC Member

by joannedoyle » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:03 pm
I have always found the haven sites to be great value. Lots to do with the kids, swimming pools etc and usually work out a lot cheaper than most small sites. ( paid £72 for 5 of us, entertainment passes for 5 days ) I usualy pay around £30 a day on small sites with nothing for the kids to do . Cheers for the link, I'll have a look ;)
joannedoyle
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:03 pm
Being the father of five children I must admit I've spent over 30 years suffering with this attitude on large commercial and non commercial sites.

Me pointing to a giant tent next door and asking why that is classed as one unit and mine three is a regular thing for me.

Even last year with my t4 no awning and two pop up tents on a small site in Portland wanted me to pay for 3 units. I had my 25 year old son in one and me and the boss in the other when I asked the women said why not share the tent. Hmm great answer I'm sure my lad would have loved that.

I'm now on the lookout for a awning with sleeping compartments for my grand kids and will probably still be asked to park my van on the carpark or be charged again this really really does annoy me.

Buzzers
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by joannedoyle » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:43 pm
Well. Turned up at flamingo land with the family, bus, dog and a tent . I paidfor a tent .
After 2 days security came a knocking. "are you sleeping in the camper or the tent? As if your sleeping in both you need to pay for another pitch "
No the camper is just my sitting area ;).
"Ok I'll let the manager know"
Had a great week . And would recommend it to anyone who wants to keep the kids entertained .
joannedoyle
SSVC Member

by clymoj » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:52 pm
What happens if you chuck an event shelter up over the whole lot?

I rarely use campsites these days largely down to cost but also because they all insist on two nights minimum. I don't like to be tied down like that.
clymoj

by pokey » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:21 pm
There's a site in abersoch that's the opposite, only one vehicle per pitch and you can put whatever else you want on it, we ended up miles away from each other in our buses
pokey

by 1959bus » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:47 pm
I always find that generally, the further inland you go (when at the coast if you know what I mean), the cheaper and more accommodating camp site owners are. The sites are also quieter, sometimes you can have fires which is a plus. I'd rather that and drive to the beach than have to deal with camp site owners with 101 rules that charge a fortune. Hill End in Llangennith has to be the worst, most unfriendly and most expensive I've encountered.
1959bus

by coleman keith » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:42 pm
I am getting fed up with camp site fees. When will they learn to attract people by pricing by the pitch in the same way hotels charge by the room. Once I am on my pitch they cant rent it out to anyone else so what does it matter what I put on it. One day I will arrange for a large marquee on our usual site in Cornwall and put what I like inside it.
coleman keith

by thesickness » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:59 pm
Camping isn't what it used to be! What's it all about the per person thing? + awning + dog + children? I'm inclined to go to the smaller sites now, the £18 or less a night type ones. Too commercial by far.
thesickness