The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Importing and trusting?

Importing and trusting?

by harryvonstacks » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:26 pm
Bit on a question relating to importing, to those that have imported from say the USA did you go over and view the bus first or employ a third party to view on your behalf?
I've seen several vans I'd consider buying but obviously couldn't afford trips to USA on top!

What's the options other members have chosen

Regards
Jay
harryvonstacks

Re: Importing and trusting?

by SAMARSHY » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:19 pm
I bought my 11 window 59 mango from the us (los Angeles) had an absolute bargain considering the condition and everything..... I didn't go and view the van I only saw pictures..... I asked the seller if he could send me a few other pictures of the van taxing him in terms of taking pictures in unusual places to see if the van was really his for sale. I then spoke to him on the phone about a few things, we then came to a price agreement, he sorted out the shipping at his end and within 3 months it arrived on my drive just as described ....... I felt extremely lucky and glad that all went to plan :)
SAMARSHY

by harryvonstacks » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:46 pm
Nice! I'm guessing not all go as smoothe as that. I have my eye on 3 gems but unsure to take the plunge!

Was yours a dealer or private?
harryvonstacks

by etiennevert » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:52 pm
I imported 63 vert bug from a private seller in New England...as above got him to send plenty of pics and then spoke over the phone to discuss shipping etc...all turned out well.

Had a less fruitful purchase of a split from another seller and only had email contact....got a bit frustrated with time scales (he was a bit too laid back) as months passed with sketchy contact. He was vouched for on samba and elsewhere but in the end I got the local fraud squad involved and after a visit from LAPD (and threat of possible felony) it was all resolved and funds were returned to me. I have no doubt that the guy would have come good eventually but after a couple of months with no contact I got a bit twitchy (also got a severe scalding from my better half) - only mention it as there are steps that can be taken in a 'worse case scenario ' if things were to go pear shaped.

Always a.bit of a gamble but if you have the seller's genuine details you can protect yourself to some degree.

On each occasion I paid a % of agreed price with agreement that full funds would be sent following confirmation from shipping company that the vehicles were on their way/due to be collected. - Obviously this only happened first time round.
etiennevert
SSVC Member

by 67ben » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:58 pm
Hi
I have brought a few splits over the years from the samba and lots of parts
Always check when people joined and there feedback also
It's also good to look how many posts they have made and you can read old posts if needed
I have just brought another split from a established seller this helps as they will know and can help with delivery to the port
Obviously splits are old now so go careful
I have used Kingstown shipping and horizon auto shippers in the past.

Hope this helps a bit
67ben
SSVC Member

by thesickness » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:18 pm
SAMARSHY wrote:I bought my 11 window 59 mango from the us (los Angeles) had an absolute bargain considering the condition and everything..... I didn't go and view the van I only saw pictures..... I asked the seller if he could send me a few other pictures of the van taxing him in terms of taking pictures in unusual places to see if the van was really his for sale. I then spoke to him on the phone about a few things, we then came to a price agreement, he sorted out the shipping at his end and within 3 months it arrived on my drive just as described ....... I felt extremely lucky and glad that all went to plan :)

Virtually exact same story here.
thesickness

by shelltoes » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:32 pm
Just because someone has a super solid gold reputation dont think that their definition of "rust free" is the same as yours.
For me it means no rust, for some people it means something completely different.
shelltoes

by flatbeat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:43 pm
I've imported 5 from the States the most recent arrived last Thursady. My experience is that generally speaking most seem pretty honest....but do as Ben says and check the feedback and also as Shelltoes says...not everyone's idea of rust free is the same and that's certainly true in the States. Ask for pics...you can't have too many, and personally I always phone and talk to the seller...I think you can get a pretty good sense of how someone is when you speak to them. I've only ever dealt/bought through TheSamba and wouldn't go anywhere else except the other well established sellers like OldBug for instance.
Good luck...it's exciting too.
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by harryvonstacks » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:45 pm
Lads, thanks for the tips. Theres nothing i can do until i sell mine.

Another bunch of sleepless nights hoping the one in USA doesn't sell!!!!
harryvonstacks