The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Propex Heater where do peeps store gas bottle?

Propex Heater where do peeps store gas bottle?

by ToMMo555 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:11 pm
I've purchased a Propex heater to install in my bus. I was wondering where other peeps keep the gas bottle to comply with Gas safety Regs.
Do you not bother and just install near each other or do you have a separate compartment for Gas bottle.
Any advice or info would be great.
Cheers
Paul
ToMMo555
SSVC Member

Re: Propex Heater where do peeps store gas bottle?

by type21f » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 pm
I have posted pictures of my Heater install in my Peebles thread...but on a Devon with a rear seat.
To pass gas safety regulations you need a 1" hole in your floor near to the gas bottle/ Appliance . Propane/butane is heavy so flows along the floor and in theory through the hole to escape.
My Devon had the bottle there in 1964 I have just added the Heater and cut off valves etc.
Works great for me. Most Devon Caravettes after 1963 have the gas bottle inside.
Early RHD Devons had the gas bottle in the engine compartment on the passenger side on the bottle tray..
Needs to be secured and strapped as well. Some use a hard foot to keep bottle in place plus a strap.
G
type21f
SSVC Member

by split999 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:25 pm
Mines Fitted in the engine compartment (where originally intended), left hand side. No problems at all. As Graham says, needs to be secured down properly. I drew round the bottom collar of the gas bottom onto a piece of 18mm MDF. I then drew a larger circle round that approx 30mm away from the inner circle. Cut along both lines with a jig saw making a "hoop". The hoop was then drilled through and bolted to the left hand tray. All waterproofed underneath and away you go. The hoop secures it in one spot perfectly. Then attach a strap to the "hoop" which goes over your gas bottle.

Hth
split999
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:20 pm
I know people get a bit squeamish about having a gas bottle in the engine bay but as long as you don't drive with it connected up a cant see there ever being a problem. I've attended quite a few incidents where buildings or dumped stuff have gone up in flames and there's been gas bottles on site and have never seen one go up. If your engine compartment gets hot enough to cause the gas bottle to explode I'd imagine you'd be running away from a flaming bus long before it got to that stage*
Cheers, Lee.

*disclaimer.
But ifnitbdoes go pop don't blame me - I just said I've never seen it, not it can't happen :lol:
e m p i

by ArAKern » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:55 am
I am with Lee on this one.
Nobody seems to worry about their 50+ year old fuel tank that may be paper thin with rust but worry about a gas cylinder.

What about the 1.2million in the UK that regularly go camping they probably all take a gas cylinder with them, just in the boot of the car no locker or tie down straps
ArAKern

by ToMMo555 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:32 pm
Unable to site in engine bay as it has a leisure battery on the left hand side.
ToMMo555
SSVC Member

by rusty1962 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:46 pm
It's the carbon monoxide you really need to worry about whilst you are using it. Make sure it's checked and serviced regularly and that there is a vent to the outside.

As Graham says above, the gas is heavy and sinks, but because there is a marker in the gas ( the smell that we all associate with gas (gas is odourless)) you will smell gas leaking from the cylinder or regulator very quickly.

I'll be putting my bottle under the seat.
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by type21f » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:33 am
After toying with building a cradle to stack the batteries on one side and have the gas bottle on the other.....and investigating Ebspracher units..
Petrol or Diesel I am STILL undecided.
Have Bottle tray in place....that is all.
Think gas bottle under seat will win..
Chose a shorter 100Amp leisure battery to bit on bottle tray with clamp
Numaz 110Amp was just too long..
Long way from doing...
So probably under seat..With hole in floor..and mesh to keep the mice out..
type21f
SSVC Member

by monkey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:34 pm
So just to be clear I f I had a mint, or even decent, 196* devon or westfalia bus, I'd need to cut a hole in the floor for the gas drop hole to allow it meet current regs?

Do people actually do that? 8O
monkey

by type21f » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:55 pm
Yep...
A 1" hole positioned so it goes through the single skin near to the bottle. Glue a piece of medium mesh under the floor.
Make sure gas can fall to the floor and not fill your belly pan void....LOL

Boom Boom

I have not done...
But intend to do..
With tank cutter from underneath.
Hole drilled to centre and cut...
On my Devon the cooker cupboard holds the bottle so will not see the hole.
Could put the hole in the corner in front of the wheel arch but prefer to put at tge back in the heel board to rear floor position.
type21f
SSVC Member

by monkey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:01 pm
I'm not doing that. No wAy!
monkey

by pokey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:02 pm
mines going in the rear corner, want to maximise space inside!
pokey
SSVC Member

by ToMMo555 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 pm
I bought these for the hole int floor bit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-GAS-DROP- ... 1370221273
ToMMo555
SSVC Member

by monkey » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:32 pm
I just can't bare the thought of cutting a hole in my pristine floor. :(
monkey

by rusty1962 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:05 pm
I haven't looked into this yet but I'm sure that there's a neater solution than a hole and a bit of mesh.

Perhaps in the marine world, where presumably a hole in the floor is not good :lol:
rusty1962
SSVC Member