The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Rat Rod Radio Flyer and the like...

Rat Rod Radio Flyer and the like...

by Reaction » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:34 pm
My Dad is a bit of a clever old stick and has been filling in some of his spare retirement time making a badcore Radio Flyer and making some similar 'flyers' out of a coca cola tray and an airline canteen tray. Personally I think they are very cool... but I'm biased. Could I ask what other folk out there think? They are not finished and he's only doing it for the love of tinkering (i.e. this is not for an income).

Thanks in advance :D

Lee (Reaction) Jackson
Reaction
SSVC Member

Re: Rat Rod Radio Flyer and the like...

by JonnyCJ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:17 pm
Uber cool ! How does he get on with wheels, spindles and bearing ? A lot of the wheels I've seen don't have bearing, just a nylon wheel centre. Looking for an optimum solution for my 2 yr old's slammed orange crate.
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by Reaction » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:03 pm
Hi JonnyCJ,

My dad sent me a message to pass on:
The Cola Flyer and the Monarch Airline Flyer wheels (like he said) just run on bushes straight onto the axle (they are genuine Radio Flyer, and that's how they ran). The actual Radio Flyer will be on go kart bearings running on 17mm Spindles. I'm not sure why he may want bearings though, the speed he's going to be pulling a wagon, 'bushes' are perfectly safe (RF wouldn't take a chance of being sued......), and fitting bearings is a lot more work.

Hope this helps
Lee
Reaction
SSVC Member

by JonnyCJ » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:28 pm
Thanks Lee - that's useful, will get some custom bushes knocked up.
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by Vwstu » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:07 am
Look really cool to me ;-)
Vwstu