The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Shipping from UK to USA advice please

Shipping from UK to USA advice please

by JM-Bromley » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:51 am
Hi all,

Iv just negotiated the sale of one of my buses, to a fantastic chap in the USA, Minneapolis. I have said that I will help arrange shipping of the bus to his nearest port. The bus is fully restored and driving.

Truth is, neither of us have experience of shipping a car, so its pretty new for us. I was wondering if any of you guys would mind pointing me in the right direction.

- Is there any companies that you would recommend?
- From what I have researched, there is indeed a port in Minneapolis, however not many, if not any, actually ship there. Therefore, where would you recommend in regards to the nearest port?
- In terms of the transfer of funds, how would you go about it? Obviously we both want to be protected, and if the truth be known, I dont want to let that bus go out of my control until I have the full funds. That said, also from the buyers point of view, he may also want some security. So how does one go about coming to a compromise in these situations? Or is there a set way of doing it? He is a great chap, but you can never be too cautious with these types of things.
I will personally deliver the bus to any UK port that is required.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge here , but looking forward to any advice you have.

Cheers,

John
JM-Bromley

Re: Shipping from UK to USA advice please

by susta » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:31 pm
Kingstown shipping should be able to point you in the right direction 01482 374116
susta
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:32 pm
Invite him over to view the bus, he pays for it, you / he drives it to the port and he sees it taken into their control for export?
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by JM-Bromley » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:15 am
Thanks. Yes have suggested this, but the earliest he can get to me is mid March owing to work commitments. And I have someone else willing to pay the asking price so if I waited until march, and all fell through, I would have lost the buyer. Unless I took a deposit?
JM-Bromley

by vwJim » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:25 pm
Take 10% non-returnable deposit.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by grant » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 am
Defo. If he's keen and not a messer he will pay that. Otherwise get a deal done with 2nd buyer. Loads of Messers out there
Never let your bus go without full funds in account doesn't matter how nice he is.
grant
SSVC Member

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 pm
Exactly as Grant says, your in charge until your terms have been met. It's your decision how you want to sell your bus. If you want to be loyal, he has to pay a deposit until his visit mid march, otherwise you have a fail safe buyer ready to pounce. Take it or leave it, don't be messed about when a deal is already on the table.
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member