The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Camping after Hessisch in Germany (Wolfsburg?? Hanover??)

Camping after Hessisch in Germany (Wolfsburg?? Hanover??)

by GreenBeetleDave » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:46 pm
Myself and the Mrs are going to be going over to the Hessisch Oldendorf show again this year.

Doing the Meet up Thursday, and cruise Friday from BBTs as usual.

Staying at the campsite in Hessisch Oldendorf for Friday and Saturday night. (Gonna be awesome!!)

But after that we aren't booked into anywhere!?! We were thinking of visiting Wolfsburg and maybe Hanover and touring around a bit......

Any recommendations for campsites and/or good places to go see? Anyone else doing this already?? Would really appreciate some hints and tips.

Thanks

Dave
GreenBeetleDave
SSVC Member

Re: Camping after Hessisch in Germany (Wolfsburg?? Hanover??)

by vwed » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 pm
Wolfsburg is awesome.
The Autostadt complex there has incredible exhibits and original vehicles on display,including a section on Ivan Hirst and the REME involvement in the immediate post-war period that brought a lump to my throat. You could easily spend a whole day in there. There is also the separate museum in Dieselstrasse with many interesting vehicles.
https://www.autostadt.de/en/explore-the-autostadt
http://www.volkswagen-automuseum.de/en/ ... rices.html
So my advice would be to stay somewhere close/in Wolfsburg on the Sunday night so that you are in situ for a full day looking at the above.
The Bus plant of course is at Hannover (on the north side at Stocken). I failed to get inside the plant itself when I turned up on spec once. I had to contend myself with the customer reception in the car park which had a number of reasonably priced items for sale and a tribute to Ben Pon. Hannover itself hasn't much of the old city left after WW2 destruction. There are links with Hiroshima in the bombed out ruins of a church. It's flat and easy to walk around and nice down by the river, home to their most famous landmark the three Nanas
https://www.visit-hannover.com/en/Sight ... ghts/Nanas
vwed

by OxonPhil » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:13 pm
Hi Dave,

I'm booked on the Eurotunnel on Thursday to drive to BBT, then join the cruise on Friday as well :D

After the show on Sunday, I am going up to Wolfsburg on Sunday evening.

I've booked a place here:

http://www.camping-allersee.de/

Then Autostadt all day on Monday, and drive home on Tuesday :cheers:

It's gonna be one hell of a road trip :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Always like extra company if it fits with your plans ?

Cheers,

Phil. :D
OxonPhil
SSVC Member

by GreenBeetleDave » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 am
Thanks guys,

Looks like we might be going to Hanover first (with some friends) then maybe Wolfsburg mid-week (as the old museum is closed on Mondays).

Should be good for AutoStadt, Factory tour & old museum that way. (And possibly a better chance of getting on the Wolfsburg campsite rather than straight after Hessisch)

See ya next week!! :o 8O :cheers:
GreenBeetleDave
SSVC Member

by OxonPhil » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:22 pm
Oh no.........does this mean I'm going to the wrong museum ??

I'm booked into the autostadt !!!

I hope there are some splittys in the autostadt :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll be rather annoyed if I go all that way just to be looking at new moden rubbish !! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Phil.
OxonPhil
SSVC Member

by vwed » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:01 pm
Plenty of vintage Buses and Beetles in the Autostadt.
vwed

by vwed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:59 am
Via thesamba.com I've ascertained that a tour of the Hannover Bus plant/Historic Dept. is being organised on the Monday PM. Also a tour of Wolfsburg on the Tuesday, starting 9AM. More details and registration at HO itself.
vwed