The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Digital or GPS speedo?

Digital or GPS speedo?

by Vwstu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm
I'm after a speedo solution, my vans original goes up to 80mph im presuming it works but is probably not very accurate anyway. At the moment doesn't even have a cable fitted. I have been looking for another type to fit, ideally in the original speedo pod in my bus. I know smiths do a 120mph digital one that seem to get good feedback but has anyone got a GPS speedo fitted and what sort? Can't seem to find one that will fit straight in without modification. There's loads of different types and sizes on the net but just wondered if anyone had any experience with this.
Vwstu

Re: Digital or GPS speedo?

by W-W » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:51 pm
No.
But look do a search for Speedhut, but you need additional warning lights.

My speedo is buggered, it really didn't work before I took it apart.
Electronic stuff is a lot better as I don't feel the need to take it apart and bugger it up.

That is unless there is firmware to update

62 Double Door
W-W
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:44 pm
The Smiths aren't that great. I've fitted a few and several have had issues, but what's worse is the totally useless assistance you get from the manufacturer.

There's only one person to answer the tech' questions, though he never calls you back even if you leave a message with reception or on his voicemail everyday for two weeks! When you finally catch him at his desk he had no answers for any of the faults. They had the speedo back, tested, repair, refitted, different faults! Argh......
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by type21f » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:56 pm
Translation..
Basically the Chinese SMITHS version is said to be CRAP.

Lots of people say so..
Customer SERVICE = NIL..

Looks nice but it does not WORK..
It has issues and they cannot, will not or do not help..
Only my repeat of what the moans are..
G
type21f
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:45 pm
Yep. About sums it up.

They don't understand their own product well enough to think of solutions to solve it not working with LED indicators for example, or that their wiring instructions are still wrong despite updating them....
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Vwstu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:55 pm
Ha ha that's the smiths one out then. Do like the GPS idea more anyway. Will look at speedhut or other GPS stuff, gotta be accurate I'd imagine. Thanks for the advice.
Vwstu

by vwJim » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 pm
I'm fitting speed sensors, so my ECU will give accurate speed outputs
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by W-W » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm
vwJim wrote:I'm fitting speed sensors, so my ECU will give accurate speed outputs
And lets you play with traction control Image

But what after market speedo that fits the bus takes ecu output.

62 Double Door
W-W
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:57 pm
Autometer, I think.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by flatbeat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:20 pm
Just picked up this post. I've got a GPS speedo fitted and its the nuts...fantastic bit of kit :D
Does 0-60, 1/4 mile, records max speed, compass bearing....and a bunch of other stuff :D
And it's starts up instantly...no waiting to pick up satellites. I've since clean up the paint around the speedo. It's where the chrome ring used to be....being a deluxe.
Spot personalised :wink: :lol:
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:33 am
Like that!
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by type21f » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:39 am
Nice...
type21f
SSVC Member

by Vwstu » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:57 am
Yeah that does look extremely cool.
Vwstu

by vwJim » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:58 am
flatbeat wrote:Just picked up this post. I've got a GPS speedo fitted and its the nuts...fantastic bit of kit :D
Does 0-60, 1/4 mile, records max speed, compass bearing....and a bunch of other stuff :D
And it's starts up instantly...no waiting to pick up satellites. I've since clean up the paint around the speedo. It's where the chrome ring used to be....being a deluxe.
Spot personalised :wink: :lol:
Was it a direct replacement, or did you have to "make it fit"?
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by flatbeat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:47 am
Pretty much a straight fit Jim. The units only an inch or so deep and has a big screw ring on the back....like Autometer gauges.
It has separate left and right turn signals (it's wired for seperately left and right, easy mod) and high beam warning light but NO ignition or oil warning lights. That didn't bother me cos of how I was doing the dash. I've got BIG oil and ign warning lights where the radio knobs would have been. Im getting a billet alloy face plate made up to take 2 gauges and the 2 warning lights to fit where the radio goes. Does that all make sense? :lol: You can see the GPS ariel/pick up next to the ashtray.
Nige
flatbeat
SSVC Member