The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Collecting my first splitty - what should I check for?

Collecting my first splitty - what should I check for?

by Cornwall1986 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:07 am
Hi all!

I am completely new to the splitty scene (well new to VWs altogether actually!). I have always loved split screens and decided to finally go for it. The family are very excited :D

Anyway, I have won an 11 window 1965 on Ebay and I am hoping to collect on Friday. I have a long way to go for this so I will be having to go on my own. Is there a checklist somewhere for the key things to check for?

The bus had a rebuild in 2016 so I don't expect there to be any problems but obviously worth checking just in case.

Many thanks!

Mark
Cornwall1986
SSVC Member

Re: Collecting my first splitty - what should I check for?

by Dougie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:44 am
Nearest I can find is this one for a bay window, later splits and early bays would suffer very similar issues so the basics are covered. http://www.vwcamperguide.com/html/bay_w ... guide.html
Just remember you are buying a car that is 53 years old. It won't steer, brake or accelerate like a modern car. It will be noisy and the gearchange will be a whole new experience for you.
You will however be buying a car that will make you grin every time you get in it, strangers will talk to you at petrol stations, people take your photo as you sit waiting at traffic lights or as they overtake you on the motorway. Get used to sitting at 60mph and wondering what the hurry is as everything else rushes ahead.
It sounds like you are about to start on a very steep learning curve, enjoy it, the technology is mostly pre-war. It's just a pile of bits bolted together, there's nothing that can't be fixed and there are plenty of people here and in the club that are happy to help.
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by pokey » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 am
it wont drive like a new car so don't go racing off in it, get used to how it handles and stops, check the fuel hoses before leaving!
pokey
SSVC Member

by joannedoyle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:38 pm
Cornwall1986 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:07 am Hi all!

I am completely new to the splitty scene (well new to VWs altogether actually!). I have always loved split screens and decided to finally go for it. The family are very excited :D

Anyway, I have won an 11 window 1965 on Ebay and I am hoping to collect on Friday. I have a long way to go for this so I will be having to go on my own. Is there a checklist somewhere for the key things to check for?

The bus had a rebuild in 2016 so I don't expect there to be any problems but obviously worth checking just in case.

Many thanks!

Mark
It might be worth mentioning where in the country you are picking it up from? You may get an offer from a member of the club to come and meet you ?
I asked on my first view in 2009 and walked away from it thanks to the knowledgeable member who came out with me.

Also maybe someone on here knows the bus?
Good luck
Simon
joannedoyle
SSVC Member

by Cornwall1986 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:36 pm
Thanks all for the responses!

Yes I am completely expecting the way it drives to be a shock at first but that's all part of the charm. I am hoping the gears don't take too long to adjust to as I have a 6 hour drive home lol.

Dougie - thanks for that link which is really useful. I think my 3 young kids are going to love the attention its going to get. This reminds me, I am sure my first post on here after picking it up will be regarding seat belt options!

I am picking it up from St Neots, Cambridgeshire. Attached is a pic.
https://archives.ssvc.org.uk/download/ ... w&id=29643

Anyone happen to know it?

Thanks again.

Mark
Cornwall1986
SSVC Member

by Samba63 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 pm
Taken from the MOT pages on Gov website, https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Vehicle Registration: FNN819C
Date tested: 21 February 2018
PASS
Mileage: 49,179 miles
MOT test number: 8663 4857 7820
Test location: unavailable until further notice
Expiry date: 20 February 2019

Advisory notice item(s):
Nearside Front Axle king pin has slight play in pin and/or bush (2.5.A.3a)
Offside Front Axle king pin has slight play in pin and/or bush (2.5.A.3a)
Steering system has slight free play detected at steering wheel slight play in centre swivel pin/bush (2.2.A.1a)
Corroded hole to nearside rear chassis outrigger box section
Nearside Front Lower door hinge loose

Other MOT records showing that go back to 2006
Samba63
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:59 pm
Looks like a proper MOT for once picking up those items.

Check the fuel gauge works if it has one.
Check the idiot lights work before you start the engine EVERYTIME. And know what they mean.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Cornwall1986 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 pm
Great thanks - didn't realize that the advisory items were online these days.

Should I be concerned about "Corroded hole to nearside rear chassis outrigger box section"?

Thanks

Mark
Cornwall1986
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:00 pm
Depends how bad and if the price reflects it.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Dougie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
As they have had since February to fix the advisories, I would hope they've all been done. Outriggers are an easy job if you can weld
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by Cornwall1986 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:41 pm
OK I will check with the seller. Description below in case anyone happens to be interested.
1965 HHD 11 Window split screen - German built Texas, USA import.

Finished in blue and white, paintwork is near perfect, she looks stunning and is a real head turner!

The split screen went through a major rebuild which was completed in May 2016. First adventure for the splitty was as the main wedding car for a friends family wedding.

Re-conditioned 1600 engine
Recently lowered and new EMPI 5 spoke wheels added
Full respray in 2016 at a cost of £4,500
And lots more, too much to mention

The interior was reupholstered recently
Rock and Roll bed
Seats complete with matching white stitch and memory foam for bed.

Camper van cover included.

Tax and MOT exempt although i have MOT until February 2019 and have always kept up the MOT history

This camper is in great condition throughout and ready to use and enjoy this summer.Bus has been stripped to bare metal, carefully prepared and resprayed. Solid, no rust. Underside of bus is rock solid.

The only NEGATIVE is the van needs a new roof lining which can be replaced at around £300

Unfortunately, the bus is now being offered for sale due to changes in personal circumstances.
Cornwall1986
SSVC Member

by thebouncingbunny » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:05 am
Just check everything.twice and as I expect this is big money don't be pressured into buying by the fact you've travelled a long way.if your not completely happy with every aspect( people who are selling included) walk away.buy in haste repent at leasure.
After driving my van home to dorset from Wolverhampton I was convinced I wouldn't be keeping it.i was a nervous wreck and I was already used to classic cars.
Oh and make sure you ask where reverse is.....
I had to phone the previous owner from a little chef after parking it down hill against a wall on the way home!
thebouncingbunny

by Cornwall1986 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:09 pm
Haha I'm sure I will be a nervous wreck too by the time I get home. It's certainly going to be a long day as I will be flying from Cornwall to London Friday morning, working in my London office all day, getting the train to sellers for about 6 and then I have a 6 hour (probably much more in one of these) drive home after also spending ages checking it over. I will probably end up having a sleep for a few hours in the bus at some services on the way. What fun!

Sorry last couple of questions for now!

- Does around 20k sound about right for this from the description?
- I hear that RH are the insurer of choice around here. What about getting the thing home? Do people get short term insurance first for picking up whilst also shopping around?

Thanks everyone for all your advice!

Mark
Cornwall1986
SSVC Member

by Dougie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:44 pm
Price sounds very fair, RH are popular, you have the reg so you can shop around now. Good luck, let us know how you get on
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by Mr Apollo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 am
The differences between a vintage and modern vehicle work both ways. After driving a Morris traveller as our only car in the early 00s we needed a more 'robust' car as my commute changed. We bought a second had souped up Metro, don't ask why. After picking it up, at the first roundabout we came to it was nearly rolled, when as usual (for the Morris) my wife floored the accelerator and turned the steering wheel as far right as it would go. I was behind in the Morris, and it is the only time I've seen a car on two wheels.
Mr Apollo