The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Hmm. It's just not the same.....

Hmm. It's just not the same.....

by Herr Doktor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:55 am
I've owned my SO42 for 19 years, importing it from USA in September 1999 for the princely sum of US$5000

Adding up my bills, in that time I've spent just north of £60k on it. [Air-ride, Turbo, Charge-cooled, EFI, 310BHP, maintenance, upkeep, the list goes on and on.]
  • When I drive it in the wet I get truly p1ssed off at how wet my feet get with safari "issues".
  • The turbo means no heat exchangers so it gets bloody cold in the cabin.
  • The thing drinks fuel as if it's free, particularly when I put my foot down, which is often.
  • New noises are quantified by cost; "Oohh that sounds like an expensive noise. Best look at that" or "That's a cheap noise. Turn the stereo up"
We recently spent 4 weeks driving around the Alps and Pyrenees hitting 2800m and travelling 2200KM. During that time due to the roads we traveled on, I didn't particularly enjoy the experience. It certainly wasn't relaxing!

On our return, I dropped £55k on a 2018 demonstrator California with 1100 miles on the clock.
  • In the wet my feet don't get wet.
  • I have climate control in the rear, front and remote controlled heating.
  • I'm getting 45mpg on a run.
  • Any new noises I experience in the next 3 years are paid for by VAG.
  • It's got "upstairs" and "downstairs" for more comfort and negate the need to keep moving things to the front seats.
Here's the kicker.
I don't look at it and think "That's cool"
I look at it and think "Yeah. It's a works van. An expensive works van."

It doesn't make me smile.
It's just not the same.

It turns out despite all its woes, I quite like my splittie :compress:
Herr Doktor
SSVC Member

Re: Hmm. It's just not the same.....

by Dougie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:26 pm
No surprises there. Does anyone talk to you at petrol stations? Does anyone take your photo at traffic lights or on the motorway? Does anyone say my Dad/Uncle/mate's Dad/neighbour had one of those when I was a kid..
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by David Eccles » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:50 pm
I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!!
but I had to sell one to finance the other.... :(
still...there are advantages I keep convincing myself...
but its not the same feeling at all...
David Eccles
SSVC Member

by Herr Doktor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:32 pm
Dougie wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:26 pm No surprises there. Does anyone talk to you at petrol stations? Does anyone take your photo at traffic lights or on the motorway? Does anyone say my Dad/Uncle/mate's Dad/neighbour had one of those when I was a kid..
...... sometimes however it can be a right pain in the 4rse. Particularly at roundabouts. I'm trying to join it,then those on it slow right down to get photographs thereby inhibiting me from joining the motorway. It's also weird seeing people pull along side us and record us lol
Herr Doktor
SSVC Member

by flatbeat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:34 pm
I've got HE's on my turbo header :wink:
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by Herr Doktor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 pm
David Eccles wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:50 pm I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!!
but I had to sell one to finance the other.... :(
still...there are advantages I keep convincing myself...
but its not the same feeling at all...
I'm in a lucky position so have kept the splittie. Now it'll only get used in the summer and for relatively short jaunts to West Wales
Herr Doktor
SSVC Member

by Herr Doktor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:37 pm
flatbeat wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:34 pm I've got HE's on my turbo header :wink:
How well does it work? My cab gets freezing!!

This is my "back end"
Herr Doktor
SSVC Member

by flatbeat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:34 pm
And a very nice back end you have sir!

Works like any other HE's....not the most efficient form of heating but takes the edge off. Being a deluxe only one HE goes to the front...t'other to the rear. Heating in the other bus is actually really good, being Kombi it has both HE's blowing through to the front.

Throw another £400 at it and fit a Propex heater...?
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:01 pm
Hi I remember your early post on your van and your upgrades. Well I to have had my van a long time and done various upgrades.

It,s still a nightmare to steer, can,t see through the windscreen on wet days, drinks fuel is cold. etc etc.

I've done various Europe trips as far as Austria and Italy I loved doing them and they will always be imprinted on mine and my families memories forever.

Ps

( Do have propex but never use it for some reason.)

I've also owned a T4 van I partially converted had her 8 years now. I love the van to bits with its heating and power steering and spent many hours upgrading her.

Well I do love both sides but my heart will always be with my splitty I love driving the old girl rust and all as much as I did when I first bought her.

Long live the air-cooled scene.

Buzzers
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by Rocket Ron » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:57 pm
Arhhhhhh....I've now seen a side to you I never saw before......you had me in tears you old softy...
Rocket Ron
SSVC Member

by gypsy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:04 am
I had my splitty project parked outside my place overnight and someone had placed a pair of clean (i sniffed em) racy lacy panties on the front seat. Now would that happen in a T5. I think not !
gypsy

by flatbeat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:56 am
Confess......have you tried them on for size..? :lol: :lol: :lol:
flatbeat
SSVC Member

by miles » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:09 pm
Despite all the upps and downs, including my last van, and trying to be a responsible adult (paying off abit of the mortgage), I felt rather empty having sold it. I bought another one, and still have it :)

I would love to get a T4, but no money. My heart will always be in a splitty bus.
miles

by Herr Doktor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:42 am
I took the new Cali camping this week.
Yes, the bed is bigger. In fact they both are!
Yes, the remote controlled heating is amazing
Yes not having to move things about is better
But, the internal lights are too bright, even when dimmed
But the seating arrangement is far from cosy
But the fridge is cold to lean against

I must have been mental to buy it lol
Herr Doktor
SSVC Member

by Rocket Ron » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:18 am
Old age don't come alone.......
I've had two splits, three bays, two T4s and now one T5 Colorado, yes the fridge is to cold to lean on, difficult to find the wife in the vast bed, we have sit there in our underwear while it's below 10 outside, it's not that the lights are to bright it's a case of which set do we leave on.....but don't get me on the flushing toilet or the separate shower, we just put up with it to be honest.
Loved the journey and it will stop one day, but for now..............................

Rocket Ron
Rocket Ron
SSVC Member