The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

9000KM South American Journey in a 59 Bus.

9000KM South American Journey in a 59 Bus.

by eliotc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:45 am
Hi All.

I wanted to share with you all our little journey that we are about to embark on in our 1959 bus.

We're an English and Uruguayan couple who are old enough to know better and we're travelling from England to Uruguay via Colombia, Ecuador etc. etc. Our original estimate was that we'd cover 9000KM and that it'd take 6 months. However, that is growing as we further plan our route and I reckon that we'll probably top 10,000KM by the time we arrive in Montevideo. How long that takes is anybody's guess.

If you're interested and you'd like to be updated on our travels, you can visit and even subscribe to www.mundo-kombi.com. There's not much to report at the moment since the Bus is currently crossing the Atlantic and we'll hopefully be reunited with it in Cartagena, Colombia in mid-April. This is when the journey really starts.

There's no denying that I'm an aircooled geek. My first car was a '73 1303S and I've had this Bus for about 11 years which I totally rebuilt myself. It's been a massive learning process and I've broken more things than I care to remember, but I wouldn't have it any other way. What I'm trying to say is that although our web site and blog posts will be travel inspired, I'm going to make sure that there's enough "aircooled geek" content to satisfy the curiosity of like minded petrolheads. I expect to be carrying out a few roadside repairs and I'd be naive to think otherwise.

I'd also like to use this opportunity to thank Machine 7 for their support. We're taking some spares with us and their advice and support has been invaluable.

Finally, the youth of today tell me that there's something called Instagram and that we should have a page or two there. So we have and you'll find us under the name mundo_kombi_com

I'll no doubt be returning to this site frequently, especially to visit the Technical forum as and when things on the Bus start breaking 8O

Wish us luck!!! ¡Hasta Luego!

Sole y Eliot.
eliotc

Re: 9000KM South American Journey in a 59 Bus.

by vwJim » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:38 am
Awesome. Good luck on your travels.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by miles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am
Happy travels :) Please keep us updated.
miles

by miles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am
Happy travels :) Please keep us updated.
miles

by eliotc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am
Thanks guys.....my bus has rarely left my side so putting it on a massive ship and waving it off was a little daunting. I don't think I've slept since.....eeeeek!!!!
eliotc

by ScottyN » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:38 pm
I’ve tagged you on the @splitscreenvanclub insta page. If you could give us a follow and tag the club occasionally it’d be much appreciated!
ScottyN
SSVC Member

by DOUGAL » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:23 pm
Keep us updated as much as you can. I love South America. Lived there a few years and had a great time.
Best of luck.
Gertjan
DOUGAL
SSVC Member

by ted698 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Wow - love Centra/South America - what a great journey planned - just read your website & blog pages... keep us updated!
ted698
SSVC Member

by eliotc » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:24 pm
Good Morning, Guys.

Apologies for the lack of response on my part. It's been a stressful couple of weeks and Scotty, we're in touch via Instagram.

We've now arrived in Medellín, Pablo Escobar country. We did a 5 month recky in Colombia last year so we're pretty familiar with the place. Probably the warmest people that I have met, but they have some odd tendencies. But this is classic car heaven - massive old V8s and VW Bugs (Escarabajos) are ten a penny, and fuel is 50p per litre. This is mind kinda place. Roads are generally .... though, though no worse than Oxfordshire and less congested :-D

Nothing to report on our trip yet. Last night the ship was docked at Tangier and is now on it's way to Guadalupe, it's due to arrive there on the 12th. What we hadn't realised was that from Southampton the Bus would sit at La Havre for two weeks. If I had known that, I would have booked it from there and driven down.

Thanks to everyone reading this and for looking us up. I'll do my best to keep some good content flowing once the Bus arrives in Cartagena, Colombia.

Chao.

Eliot and Sole.

www.mundo-kombi.com
@mundo_kombi_com
eliotc