The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

MOT exemption

MOT exemption

by nodrog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 pm
MOT exemption
I am thinking of applying for MOT exemption
However, there are issues that require consideration regarding insurance and breakdown cover.

I have contacted my insurance company who say MOT exemption does not affect my insurance. If I chose to be MOT exempt, I would ask for this reassurance in writing.

I have contacted the RAC regarding European Cover. Their Terms and Conditions require the vehicle to be taxed and MOTed. They have reassured me that my vehicle will still be covered in Europe without an MOT. However, if I do go to Europe I would also request this reassurance in writing. They also said that each country may have their own rules as to whether MOT exemption is valid.

I will continue to MOT my van. It rarely fails, and I'll be reassured that my insurance and breakdown is valid.
nodrog

Re: MOT exemption

by Dougie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:43 pm
I take mine for the MOT, as I do all my own work there's no harm letting a fresh pair of eyes once a year. I've been going to the same place for years and they always let me have a poke about underneath when it's on the ramp.
Personally I can't think the MOT exception is a good idea. There are some real horrors on the roads waiting to be sold to the unwary.
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by DOUGAL » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:25 pm
If my splitty is VHI registered and I still want to MOT it is there anything I need to do or just take it to the MOT?
Do I have to 'opt in' to get it MOT'ed?

Cheers,
Gertjan
DOUGAL
SSVC Member

by 8 8US » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:58 pm
DOUGAL wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:25 pm
If my splitty is VHI registered and I still want to MOT it is there anything I need to do or just take it to the MOT?
Do I have to 'opt in' to get it MOT'ed?

Cheers,
Gertjan
No Gertjan, just take it along for an MOT, you have to declare it meets the rules for no MOT when you tax it (for free) if you don't want an MOT.

Like Dougie both of mine will go for an annual MOT anyway, another pair of eyes on my work.

Richard
8 8US
SSVC Member

by ernie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:24 pm
Question..if I take my bus for an mot and it fails, do i have to take it back and get it re-mot'd when I fix the failure issue(s), or can I just fix it at my leisure..
Just wondered if the dvla's records would show as a fail which would need changing to a pass.
Tnx.
ernie

by Dougie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:36 am
I don't think you can claim exemption after a fail, certainly not straight away. One of the things you are claiming on the exemption is that the vehicle is roadworthy, a recent mot fail would suggest it isn't..
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by 8 8US » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am
What Dougie says, if it fails the MOT it is illegal to drive on the road and your insurance will be invalid.
8 8US
SSVC Member

by ernie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:27 pm
Ok..so sounds like I would have to get it mot'd.. then if it fails not use it til I get the issues fixed and then return the bus to the same garage for a retest?
Tnx.
ernie

by 8 8US » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pm
ernie wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:27 pm
Ok..so sounds like I would have to get it mot'd.. then if it fails not use it til I get the issues fixed and then return the bus to the same garage for a retest?
Tnx.
Yes Ade, that's the way to sort it, if a vehicle is being driven directly to an MOT station for a test/retest it doesn't matter if it is not MOTd or if previously has failed IIRC.
8 8US
SSVC Member

by Crooky » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:56 pm
Unless it fails for a 'dangerous condition' reason then you cannot drive it at all and it needs trailing. Doesn't sound as though it will fall into that category. Only advantage mate of getting it done within 10 days of failing is that you get a free/reduced cost retest at the same station. After that it's a new MOT completely so recharged accordingly.

From your question though - there's no time pressure if an MOT is failed - fix at your leisure - rebook when ready and drive to the test station.
Crooky
SSVC Member

by Who.Me? » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:28 pm
8 8US wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:03 am
What Dougie says, if it fails the MOT it is illegal to drive on the road and your insurance will be invalid.
Unless you fix the issue, and therefore declare that it is roadworthy again, in which case it doesn't appear that you're obliged to return it for re-testing.

I checked this out because mine failed because it has a fixed windscreen, but had no washer jets (not fitted from new, but required under the MoT). By installing them, I made it MoT compliant (it hadn't failed on any other issues) and I could therefore declare it as roadworthy.
Who.Me?
SSVC Member