The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

what sort of splitty to buy?

what sort of splitty to buy?

by xcentric » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:22 pm
Hi all,

New on this forum as a member, but been browsing as guest for a while.

Currently have modern VW but looking to get a splitty for weekends away with the family - and as it's weekends, and the family, I need it to be able to keep up with modern traffic, be reliable (reasonably), stop well, and so be able to get us safely a reasonable distance in a weekend - we live in the Midlands so would want to visit Wales, the Lakes, Devon/Cornwall (long weekend), etc.

As I understand it, having the front brakes converted to discs, the rear changed to independent rear suspension and hence losing the reduction gearing, and putting in rack and pinion steering are all common and effective mods. Am I correct? If so, what sort of budget should I have for these?

Now, the real question is, what sort of van should I buy if I want to do this to it? I understand Brazilian imports are cheaper, and getting a van in perfect original condition is probably daft as I'll be reducing its value f I make it less original..... Should I consider a more modern engine (am happy top get places at 60-70, but not 30-40)?

As for interiors, I'm happy to do the work to fit, or even build, a custom interior so am not overly bothered bu this, but would I be better off looking for a bus already done, ordering iii myself from a decent shell? Or should I buy a mostly wreck and get it rewelded etc and go from there?

Budget is flexible but I want good value for money, essentially. Am thinking an OK Brazilian bus imported, then do the modernisation and maybe the engine if its needed and the interior is probably the most cost effective way....

But I'll happily be put right by the more knowledgeable people on here.... Suggestions, links, budgets etc all welcomed.
xcentric

Re: what sort of splitty to buy?

by BlastingDiePast » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:40 pm
One word of advise.

Take someone who knows Splitscreen’s with you to view any vehicle you want to buy, Brazillan or German most are hiding issues.
BlastingDiePast
SSVC Member

by Dougie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:35 am
I think your best bet would be to get to as many shows as you can and speak with as many different owners as possible. Nobody will be shy when it comes to talking about their own van.
How much of the work can you do yourself? If you're paying somebody else to do the work it can get very expensive. Very, very expensive.
For all the mods you mention there are alternatives, servo instead of discs, straight axle or IRS, there's nothing wrong with well maintained good condition steering either, you don't want to totally remove the character of your bus.
Modern engine? Do you mean an aircooled flat 4 but bigger?
I am biased but I would also suggest you join the club https://www.ssvc.org.uk/join/ . Owning a split is not a prerequisite to joining and will give you a real insight into living with one, remember even the youngest German made is 52 years old now.
Where in the Midlands are you?
Dougie
SSVC Committee Member

by DOUGAL » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:06 am
You will get lots of different opinions but as said before everyone likes talking about their bus.
If you want to do all the changes and money isn't a big object why not buy one already done to what you want? Getting all the mods done will be more expensive I think. So if you want value for money that's the way I would go.
I've got an almost stock bus with a 1600 SP engine and do about 60 on the motorway. Although I try to avoid motorways as it's much nicer to drive through the country side. It doesn't pull away super fast but I like the way it drives. To me driving a bit slower and relaxing while driving is the joy of owning a splitty. If you want it to be like a modern camper why not get a modern camper? But hey everyone to their own. That's why the scene is great. No bus is the same.
I hope you find something suitable for you and guaranteed you will enjoy it.
Cheers,
Gertjan
DOUGAL
SSVC Member

by xcentric » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:34 pm
Thanks for input so far. Am used to classics (mga , 2cv, Mini Cooper are around) but used to a bit of unreliability too and am hoping to reduce that. Want to use it a lot at weekends / have a current t6 kombi but it’s a work van though when it finishes that use I might keep it and convert for long range trips.....

Re the other options, is there a link here I can read up on about them?
xcentric

by xcentric » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:38 pm
Oh, and as to where I am - Shropshire (Whitchurch ish), working in Birmingam
xcentric

by 8 8US » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:38 pm
xcentric wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:38 pm Oh, and as to where I am - Shropshire (Whitchurch ish), working in Birmingam
Happy to meet up and show you my bus. Live in Wolverhampton and work in Shrewsbury.

Stock running gear bar dropped spindles. 1776 engine.

PM me your number and I’ll give you a call.
8 8US
SSVC Member

by JonnyCJ » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:39 pm
441D611D-DE47-4AAC-864D-B3C9B7383DA4.jpeg
I built exactly the bus you need (not for sale though I’m afraid!)

Went a bit further though as discs all round, creative steering rack, 1776 engine, brake servo etc.

Goes, stops and almost steers like a modern ish car. I’m on a narrowed beam so steering a bit more twitchy than standard.
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by xcentric » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:01 pm
hmmm nice :-)

It seems the consensus is that buying one done is more cost-effective than converting one oneself..... have been looking at bodywork-good ones and ignoring the rest on the basis that much would be changed, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place :-)
xcentric

by Harries » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 pm
Hi, Harries here, I did try to PM you but technical issues! My no. is 07906060552 if you want to txt or call regarding your message on the other thread.
Harries
SSVC Member

by jezzer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:43 pm
I'm down in Tenbury Wells (shropshire) with a split for sale if you are interested in having a look?

Jezzer
jezzer

by xcentric » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 pm
is that the ex-fire engine? if so, it's great, but not what I'm after!
xcentric

by jezzer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:29 pm
that's the one - best of luck with your search

jezzer
jezzer

by wolfie53 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:49 pm
Hello and welcome.

I'm going to be a little different and challenge your goals and ask why you have certain expectations...

"I need it to be able to keep up with modern traffic, be reliable (reasonably), stop well, and so be able to get us safely a reasonable distance in a weekend"

- What exactly are you asking here? Keeping up with modern traffic?? seriously? If by that you mean you want to cruise at 80mph.. stick with your "modern" camper and move on. You are missing the point entirely.
- Do you honestly think that owning a splitscreen is somehow 'upgradeable' to fit your requirements?

Firstly, these buses just work as intended - they will reliably take you wherever you want to go. I have travelled to many many places with with a stock bus. Ignore advice from anyone who advises 'upgrades' such as disc brakes, suspension lowering, straight-axelling etc etc etc. Volkswagen invested a lot of money and engineering knowledge in building these things and they managed to get it right.

That said, over the years, certain safety things like dual circuit brakes and other sensible -non-altering- things like electronic ignition could kind of make sense.

My advice:

- If you want to chill out, drive to capabilities and enjoy your time on the open road, have a great quality of life experience with your family.... get the best STOCK bus you can.

- If you want to adapt a bus to your 'requirements or needs' or think a split would be cool on image/looks alone, you are looking at the wrong solution. Get a caravan!

Good luck with your search and enjoy!
wolfie53

by Rock Bus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:55 pm
PM sent re my van that could meet your requirements and might be up for sale
Rock Bus
SSVC Member