The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Split screen help

Split screen help

by jaspat25 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:34 am
Hope someone out there with more knowledge can help.
Wanted a VW Split screen since I was a kid. Finally have the finances to get one.. Although maybe after the pandemic panic buying would be a good idea to buy!
Question is;
Would putting in a 3/4 pop up roof in a split screen put off anyone buying it in the future?
Just myself and 2 young sons (9 and 13) so want a bed in the roof.
Cheers
jaspat25
SSVC Member

Re: Split screen help

by Terry » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:24 am
Just from experience my children found that once they were in their teens they preferred a tent or to sleep in the awning rather than in the bunks. However my van being a Canterbury Pitt conversion the bunks are fairly narrow and not so comfortable as they got older.
Terry
SSVC Member

by type21f » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:40 am
Maybe it would be better to try the eldest on the front seat and youngest over the engine and yes migrate to a drive away awning OR even a fime tent. My boys loved being in a dome tent on their own...
If the bus you buy has a pop top then fine but the cost of installation needs to be weighed against the usage..
type21f
SSVC Member

by jaspat25 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:51 pm
Both good points. Not too worried about the cost of putting one in.. Around the £3k mark, just no idea if it will ruin its re-sale price in the future
jaspat25
SSVC Member

by frankiedemus » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:08 pm
I must admit as soon as my daughter couldn't fit in the bunk over the front seats she migrated to her own tent, which helped tremendously on space
inside our camper but also gave us the privacy which we needed too.
As to resale value at the moment its a very difficult thing to judge and depends on what somebody is looking for in a split screen van, originality would help I think with that
frankiedemus
SSVC Member

by ScottyN » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:11 pm
What type of roof are you considering? Dormobile are great and are always popular, as are Canterbury Pitt. *if* it was me I’d stick to an OG manufactured roof rather than a recent company as, if you’re considering future markets, these may appeal
More. Just my 2p’s worth :)
ScottyN
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:46 am
After seeing some retro fitted non-original pop tops, I'd definitely steer clear. Find an original bus, or an original roof to fit into a bus.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by jaspat25 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:28 pm
Thanks everyone.. Great points made on the roof.
Just need to find a split screen that I don't have to sell a kidney for now!
jaspat25
SSVC Member

by Andy C » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 am
I've got a 3/4 pop roof in my bus fitted by the previous owner. It was one of the reasons I bought it. I believe it was made by Space Roofs. I've got two girls 14 & 12 and they sleep in the roof. There are good points and bad points to it.

The Good:

1. Safe and secure for them
2. Its a full width/ length bed and not bunks so plenty of room
3. I can actually stand up in the bus
4. Drive away awning rail fitted under the roof
5. Don't need to pitch a separate tent.
6. Gives much more feeling of space in the back.
7. I have the hammock over the front seats too so technically my bus sleeps 5 (and two dogs on the floor).....cosy!

The bad:

1. I have to move the boards around so they can get in and out (I think that may be my design as the Space supplied boards look easier to manage.
2. It rocks... When the kids move the whole bus rocks on the tyres. Fixed by putting static caravan stands under the jacking points
3. It adds weight. The boards are heavy and so is the fibreglass roof compared to the steel roof
4. Securing straps are a bit fiddly to attach
Andy C
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:05 pm
Andy, did they fit belly pans?

I've seen some installs where the aftermarket companies told the owners they didn't need any structural work to compensate for the big hole cut into the roof.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Andy C » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:59 pm
No, no belly pans but structure added to the roof. I also think the centre crossmember is moved to the rear from memory. Doesn't flex too much and I've jacked it from every angle. It also doesn't flex when the kids are up there - my eldest is 5ft 10 and not exactly lightweight...
Andy C
SSVC Member

by jaspat25 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 pm
Andy.. Brilliant info. Just what I needed. Many thanks.
Just need to find a split screen now!
jaspat25
SSVC Member

by type21f » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:32 pm
My 64 has an aftermarket Gentlux pop top (added at some time in it's life). It has a cross roof support by the air box but did not have one at the rear. I was given a roof support and added it at the rear.
This has stiffened up the roof. I did add belly pans.
type21f
SSVC Member