The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Splitty LHD walkthrough front seat advice

Splitty LHD walkthrough front seat advice

by Campo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:02 pm
Just driven the splitty for 4 hours back from Devon (spent most of the weekend in the sea with the family and some nice clean waves :D 8) ) I have neck ache and back ache like you wouldn't believe, just trying to kill the pain with a little JD.

The cause for my discomfort being the dodgy front seats in the splitty, I believe these are the originals so the springs are a little worn out and the driver seat frame needs some repair. Support is an afterthought and to add a little excitement the drivers seat can pop off the rails if you take a corner too quick. 8O 8O

I would like to fit something a little more comfortable and useable, much as I like the look of the original seats the van was bought to be used, and when I get somewhere I would still like to be able to walk.

As stated its a LHD walkthrough, any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Campo

Re: Splitty LHD walkthrough front seat advice

by bobley » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:11 pm
I've just bought a pair of 924/944 seats after sitting in a bay thus equipped at Vanfest, they're lurvely. Not bad for £43 a pair? The retrim cost is gonna sting a bit... they'll apear in the build thread soon. Please feel free to pop over and have a sit in them if you're ever near Northampton.
bobley

by Bassworm » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:22 pm
I put a nice pair of secondhand Jaguar leather seats in my bus. No more arse discomfort.

Bassworm

by yakboy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:45 am
I've got jag seats too :D and I can agree that tey are very comfortable
yakboy

by dombutler » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:56 pm
I have have fitted the 944 seats to both a bay and a split bus, they have been the best choice for me.
Jag seats are also good, though more bulky and the seat base is higher. Not good if you are short legged.
Any seat will do as long as the base height is roughly the same as a split seat.
dombutler
SSVC Member

by Roger440 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:53 pm
bobley wrote:I've just bought a pair of 924/944 seats after sitting in a bay thus equipped at Vanfest, they're lurvely. Not bad for £43 a pair? The retrim cost is gonna sting a bit... they'll apear in the build thread soon. Please feel free to pop over and have a sit in them if you're ever near Northampton.
Do you find that they are narrow enough not end up out of line to much with the steering wheel? Mine (a bay!) are from a jag or something and are so wide you end up all against the door.

Hello all by the way, im a lurker - wrong van you see.

Hi Bob, Roger at promax here :hello2:
Roger440

by bobley » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:40 pm
Hello Roger, strewth, that was a surprise! What are you doing with a Bay? I would've thought you'd have an SS Ute with a demountable trailer ???

Okay, firstly I dont have a walkthrough so I'm not 100% sure about the seat sizes. Mines got the 1/3 - 2/3 front seats (this week)...

The normal drivers seat is 21" wide and the base is about 7" thick. The 924/944 seats are only 19" wide. The side bolsters (very low profile) are 8" thick but the centre sections as 7 or less. In my bus the seat is also offset relative to the steering so the new seats will give me the opportunity to pull them a bit closer. Also the seat back section is very thin so it wont push me forwards at all. Hopefully I'll get them mounted up in the next week or so and we can make a more informed judgement...
bobley

by dottie the bus » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:44 pm
I feel sick.
dottie the bus

by bobley » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:53 pm
:puke:

:?: :?: :?:
bobley

by 2xflat4 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:02 pm
Hi, I fitted classic style Cobra Roadster SR seats in my LHD walkthrough, great for lateral support and comfy enough for me to drive from Calais to Nice in 2 days (430 then 320) without so much as a twinge :D They have similar back height to originals so don't look out of place.

Matt
2xflat4

by Roger440 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:11 pm
bobley wrote:Hello Roger, strewth, that was a surprise! What are you doing with a Bay? I would've thought you'd have an SS Ute with a demountable trailer ???

Okay, firstly I dont have a walkthrough so I'm not 100% sure about the seat sizes. Mines got the 1/3 - 2/3 front seats (this week)...

The normal drivers seat is 21" wide and the base is about 7" thick. The 924/944 seats are only 19" wide. The side bolsters (very low profile) are 8" thick but the centre sections as 7 or less. In my bus the seat is also offset relative to the steering so the new seats will give me the opportunity to pull them a bit closer. Also the seat back section is very thin so it wont push me forwards at all. Hopefully I'll get them mounted up in the next week or so and we can make a more informed judgement...
Demountable trailer, no no no. What an appalling idea! A camper was a far superior idea :D

Had to be a bay as im not taking on another rusty project, (ain't finished the last one yet) and a good split was over budget. Its my new motto, "no more rust!"

Anyway, let us know how the 944 seats go, just happen to have a set of 928 sports seats (same as 944).
Roger440

by Campo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:56 am
Thanks for all the replies, sounds like the porsche seats are a good option although I do like the look of the jag ones.

Better start looking around, I suppose breakers yards are the best option or the dreaded scam-bay
Campo

by lambretta » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:09 am
Bassworm wrote:I put a nice pair of secondhand Jaguar leather seats in my bus. No more arse discomfort.
They look great - I dont suppose you could measure them from the base to the top of the seat could you? Assuming the head rests come off, they could do the job for me, but height is a problem as we have a front cab hammock thingy for the baby which has to go in.

The Porsche seats are amazing, mate has some in his bay, but they are too high for me unfortunately.

Cheers
Julian
lambretta
SSVC Member

by john-g5 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:58 pm
924/944 seats all the way! Have done 10 stints in/on ours (once or twice) without going numb. Couldn't hear each other but at least we were comfy.
The seat base is thinner looking than the Jag seats and makes the pedal position similar to standard. The runners bolt to the floor in the Porsche with 4 bolts. I made up a simple subframe to kepp them level and they move on the runners fine.
john-g5

by yakboy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:03 am
lambretta wrote:
Bassworm wrote:I put a nice pair of secondhand Jaguar leather seats in my bus. No more arse discomfort.
They look great - I dont suppose you could measure them from the base to the top of the seat could you? Assuming the head rests come off, they could do the job for me, but height is a problem as we have a front cab hammock thingy for the baby which has to go in.

The Porsche seats are amazing, mate has some in his bay, but they are too high for me unfortunately.

Cheers
Julian
We use a cab hammock as well (a bluebird one) and take out the headrests. The mounts on the B pillars are slightly higher up but it is still has useable headroom for our 2 year old.
yakboy