The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Red 9 Design Front Wishbone suspension

Red 9 Design Front Wishbone suspension

by yakboy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:01 pm
Did anybody get a good look at this at Dubfreeze and if so do you have any comments

There has been quite a heated discussion on VZI

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=537973

It looks a well engineered piece of kit but there are a lot of negative comments...I would like to know if it would really improve the ride of my split without all the "I've not seen it but it's crap because A. B. C." comments.
yakboy

Re: Red 9 Design Front Wishbone suspension

by orb » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:09 pm
There are folks out there that seem to rubbish anything that Simon does - no idea why.

Personally I've never had a problems with his solutions, I think they are innovative, well thought out and keenly priced - not to mention designed by an aircraft engineer.

If I were you and had any interest in this then I would do as I did and pick up the phone - Simon is a very knowledgeable and helpful chap and at least that way you can get your questions answered by the guy who designs and builds them and not someone on an internet forum who's looked at a picture and is basing his "assumptions" on that alone.

For example - he says that it's a shame the roll centre is fixed - well if he'd bother to pick up the phone then he'd know that the picture is of a prototype and the finished versions have the option to place the wishbones in four different positions - that way you can roughly set your desired ride height (about 4 inches) and then fine tune it with the shocks over another 1.5 inches - that way the geometry remains correct regardless of height.

I don't pretend to know everything about the things that Mr Vzi seems to be an expert on but I do know that the position of the steering rack has no effect whatsoever on the Ackerman angle as that is measured from the ends of the kingpins to the centre of the rear axle - and seeing as the wheels sit in exactly the same place as they would with a stock bus then the ackerman will be the same. He also says there's no apparent castor adjustment - again a phone call would put you stright on that one as there is provison for this.
And the last bit about dirt traps - was he clutching at straws there - have you even seen the underneath of a bus? - hardley the flat, trap free underside of a formula 1 car is it :roll:

When I spoke to Simon the other day he was saying that the one he has fitted to his bay is a revelation, not just the ride quality but also the grip and handling - I know he's bound to say things like that about his product but he's also not shy about letting anyone drive his bus to see for themselves.

Me - I will be ordering one of these as soon as funds allow, seems like a bargain given that you'd pay £1000 for a rack conversion where for a few hundred more you can have that and wishbone suspension that's fully adjustable - if it's good enough for thousands of hot rodders then it's good enough for me :D

Orb
orb

by yakboy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:33 pm
Thanks for the reply..and for having a go at the bashers...If someone is prepared to invest the time money and effort to produce something like this then they should be congratulated rather than berated without trying the product or seeing it in the flesh...I have to say I am rather excited about the prospect of modern suspension...I wonder if he has any plans for the back torsion bars ??
yakboy

by vwJim » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:51 pm
Apart from the one fitted to Simon's Bay, there's two been sold to splits so hopefully there will be some splitty feedback floating around soon, that's based on experience not photo's.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by BBBCVW » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 pm
that looks a lovely peice of kit
BBBCVW

by lowbug » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:46 pm
It looks sweet.. :cyclopsani:
I'd love it, to be honest my setup is fine, but this i think would make everyday driving safer and more comfortable. I don't think it was designed as the guy on VZI suggest to make a old bus corner at high speed but I think if something pulled out in front of you it could make the difference of avoiding it and modernise the driving expirence.

:flower:
lowbug
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:33 am
Well i like the look of it and even more the thought that someone has taken the time out to design and build it lets face it it won't make him millions. It looks to be well engineered and up to the job even more so when you consider some of the technology our old buses are running on.
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by sausage fingers » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:22 am
when you consider some of the technology our old buses are running on.[/quote]

Yes Kie, but consider some of the crusty old fekkers who drive them :wink:

Neil
sausage fingers
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:44 am
sausage fingers wrote:when you consider some of the technology our old buses are running on.

Yes Kie, but consider some of the crusty old fekkers who drive them :wink:

Neil[/quote]

Speak for yourself :wink: so when you getting an automatic with power steering
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by yakboy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:20 am
Tell you what, I wish I could replace my creaky old knees with double wishbone suspension :wink:
yakboy

by JBMango67 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:59 am
I must add to this that a few months back I went for the coilover suspension they do. Change the quality of ride no end, if I had the money I would go for the new wishbone set up. As for the rear, looking forwards to the coilover kit for splits!!!
JBMango67
SSVC Member

by sausage fingers » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:51 pm
yakboy wrote:Tell you what, I wish I could replace my creaky old knees with double wishbone suspension :wink:

I second that ( about mine :wink: )

Neil
sausage fingers
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:31 am
sausage fingers wrote:
yakboy wrote:Tell you what, I wish I could replace my creaky old knees with double wishbone suspension :wink:

Neil

how steep was that hill in Kals :wink: whoops mind the toads :wink:
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by sausage fingers » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:07 pm
vwbuzzers wrote:
sausage fingers wrote:

Neil

how steep was that hill in Kals :wink: whoops mind the toads :wink:

^ like that !!!!!
sausage fingers
SSVC Member

by bulliboyt2 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:52 pm
Totally agree with Orb. I cant work this out there seems to be a witche hunt out for this guy. Simon is a worthy engineer who is a lot more qualified than some of you DIY out there.

Maybe Simon should donate one to Jeson Button to put on his bus I sure he could make good use of it. Would make a excellent endorsment 8)
bulliboyt2