The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Buying stuff from abroad question.

Buying stuff from abroad question.

by raiz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:01 pm
Hi peeps

So is there a way to avoid the duty/tax on items from abroad mainly USA? just parts not a vehicle.

Appreciate any help
Ta
raiz

Re: Buying stuff from abroad question.

by 57aircooled » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:13 pm
a few years ago i got my spindles sent over as a birthday present
dont know why
but they got impownded and i had to pay duties
cant remember how much but it was cheaper to buy them here about £150 :roll:
57aircooled

by vwJim » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:22 pm
Sampes and gifts are 'free' but you're asking the person on the other end to commit fraud, or you get them to reduce the 'value' of the shipment, but then the insurance won't payout full amount if anything goes wrong.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by os1624 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:32 am
Its been a little hit and miss for me... Customs stopped my manifolds and air filters from the US until i paid tax, but I managed to get my Dellorto carbs from Italy with no snags. I can only assume that its an inter- EU thing. If that is the case then I can only say... dont buy from the US unless you can help it.

Ben
os1624
SSVC Member

by bob65 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:14 pm
Brought a brand new engine from the US of A and got slapped with a nice VAT bill but some second hand stuff ( not large ) and nothing.
bob65
SSVC Member

by flatbeat » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:34 pm
When it's EU countries you don't pay VAT. A lot of US suppliers are happy to give the goods a lesser value than actual but as already said, if it comes to an insurance claim you're stuffed re true cost. You need to be aware that VAT is charged on the shipping cost as well as the goods :(
eg. TK engine $4000, shipping $500, VAT payable on $4500. It makes a difference on big items.
I have known 1 person to argue successfully that the original country of manufacture of a beetle they imported from the US was Germany and being an EU country therefor shouldn't pay VAT. Still had to pay VAT on the shipping cost tho'.
flatbeat
SSVC Member