The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Has Anyone Been To Las Vegas ??

Has Anyone Been To Las Vegas ??

by OxonPhil » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 pm
We have just decided to go back to Vegas on holiday, as last time we only stopped over on our way back from our honeymoon.

Does anyone know of any VW shops in Vegas :?:

I would love to pick up some bits whilst I'm over there (especially Wolfsburg West bits) :wink:

Not sure how to tell the wife that I'm planning to go VW shopping on our holiday yet though :blackeye:

Cheers,

Phil. :D
OxonPhil
SSVC Member

Re: Has Anyone Been To Las Vegas ??

by grant » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:25 pm
We are thinking of going for a break,have you any tips on the best area and place to stay???Also cheap flights :lol:
grant
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:40 pm
OxonPhil wrote:We have just decided to go back to Vegas on holiday, as last time we only stopped over on our way back from our honeymoon.

Does anyone know of any VW shops in Vegas :?:

I would love to pick up some bits whilst I'm over there (especially Wolfsburg West bits) :wink:

Not sure how to tell the wife that I'm planning to go VW shopping on our holiday yet though :blackeye:

Cheers,

There's a custom Porsche place that does a nice cable shift system.... :twisted:
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by mossie69 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:45 pm
Ade700 went there this year.
mossie69

by bulliboyt2 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:39 pm
Was there last year words can't describe it :twisted:
bulliboyt2

by 57aircooled » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:09 pm
word of warning
dont take children (no one warned us)
you have to be 21 to get in most places ???
:( wasted holiday that was :(
57aircooled

by shaggy66bus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:06 pm
mossie69 wrote:Ade700 went there this year.

last year steve , its now 2010 :D
shaggy66bus
SSVC Member

by acmecustom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:50 pm
I spent 10 days or so in Vegas July 2008. we stayed at The Venetian which is a totally amazing hotel.. . not too expensive if you book well in advance but certain nights of the week, friday, saturday, sunday were more expensive but stilll okay considering what you have etc.

I met up loads of the Las Vegas VW Club and went to drive in movies and stuff, such a nice bunch. George at 'The Wagen' was a very coold guy too as I picked up a rear Wolfgang safari and spent the afternoon over there. I would definetly go on to lasvegasvwclub.com, take a look and say hello mate. Excellent bunch. cant wait to go back and tear up the strip at mid night again in Georges single cab again . . . Good times. . .

If you want need anything else ... I might be able to help too ... Vegas is an amazing place. Needs to be experienced to be believed. Loved every minute there . . . :wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by OxonPhil » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:59 pm
Scott,

It was July 2008 that I went there as well :lol:

We were only there for 2 nights though (we stayed in the Mirage).

Fantastic place, and I would recommend it to anyone (it was MUCH better than I thought it would be :D ).

I have been looking on www.vegas.com for hotels, some real bargins at this time of the year - I have found a 4 star hotel for £35 per night !!! 8O 8O

Thanks for the tips, I have just registered on the lasvegas vw club forum, so will see what they say.

Cheers,

p.s. Less than 2 weeks to go :D :D :cheers: :cheers:
OxonPhil
SSVC Member

by simon hall » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:40 am
Vegas, Blackpool on a bigger budget!!! Just book early enough with Virgin or Delta, they fly direct, if not going direct then fly to LA and drive up, buy your parts around la and just enjoy all that vegas has to offer, lat time we were there my buddies checked out the old vintage sign museum, all the old vegas neon signs lying in the dust, they said it was awesome, real retro afternoon, go shoot an Uzi in the gun range or do the indoor free fall flying tunnel! Do the Blue Man show that a must. we should be back there again around October for my buddies 40th birthday party, i still find the place fun even now i cant go to the lap clubs now i am married :D
simon hall

by acmecustom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:20 am
simon hall wrote:Vegas, Blackpool on a bigger budget!!! Do the Blue Man show thats a must. :D

Good point Si, the Blue man group should/might still be on at The Venetian. Amazing show musically and for its comedy value. . . ended up being dragged up on stage and covered in blue paint one night. . . amazing ... George, at the Vegas Wagens is only a 5 minute drive from the strip too. . . . Very jealious to be honest. . :wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by ferkh10 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 am
if you're on a budget then i can heartily recommend the "super 8 motel", its got a great restaurant/bar where you can eat a top quality steak the size of a small cow for $7. its about 100 yards from ballys, which is right in the middle of the strip.

vegas is a mental place. can also recommend a day trip out hoover dam and grand canyon with helicopter trip over the canyon down to the river.
ferkh10
SSVC Member

by dbzzz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 am
Vegas is an awesome place, I've been quite a few times now with work and also a stopover for our honeymoon.
I would recommend getting a direct flight with Virgin or as said previously LA then drive to Vegas.
Hotels are cheaper midweek as Vegas is a mecca at weekends. Do some searching as you can get some really good deals.

Not sure what family you have but it's an adults playground. There is so much to do apart from just gamble such as just walking round the hotels sounds weird but the ones on the strip all have a different themes.

Also cirque du soleil shows are excellent.
http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/lasvegas/ ... as%20Vegas
I've seen 'LE REV' which was amazing but friends who have also seen this say 'KA' and 'O' are on the same level, to be honest they're all amazing just depends on your taste and how much time, budget you have. You can get coupons from some people on the street and stores which reduce the cost. But have a look at advance booking before you go.
As previously mentioned if you can think of anything you want to do and more than likely they'll do it in Vegas.

Another recommendation is a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon, not cheap but better than a long drive. As with anything it all depends on your budget

Eating / drinking out varies but some of the all you can eat buffets at the big hotels are really good deals and excellent choice of food, some of the best are Bellagio, MGM but you can have a check out whilst you are there.
The revolving restaurant at the top of the Stratosphere is amazing and worth a treat.
But on the budget side if you take yourself a couple of blocks off the strip you will find loads of cheaper restaurants and bars and the gambling have lower minimum bets and always a good place to brush up on various games without feeling intimated by the pressure of the more flashier hotels.

Now for the important stuff VW's, like Scott says get yourself on Las Vegas VW club, and introduce yourself I did this a couple of years ago just to try and get to know a few people as I was working there on a military base for three weeks so I knew a few dubbers would be military so it would be easier for me to meet up whilst working :wink: .

Also it depends what month and time of month you are planning on going, check out the events diary.
http://www.lasvegasvwclub.com/vw/Forum/ ... um.php?f=5

If you are there at the beginning of the month there's a meet called First Friday at Finlays which is excellent then on Saturday Cars & coffee, they'll be in the events. And depends on how tolerant your good lady is. Obviously this didn't happen on our honeymoon, this was whilst I was working.
You'll meet some really nice and friendly people at these meets especially if you meet a few people on the net. I was made to feel really welcome and got invited by Tom Carsen's to his Classic V Dubs shop for this 60th birthday bash.
http://www.classicv-dubs.com

I could probably go on and on but my main advice is get yourself on Las Vegas VW club, and introduce yourself.
dbzzz

by acmecustom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:53 am
ferkh10 wrote:if you're on a budget then i can heartily recommend the "super 8 motel", its got a great restaurant/bar where you can eat a top quality steak the size of a small cow for $7. its about 100 yards from ballys, which is right in the middle of the strip.

vegas is a mental place. can also recommend a day trip out hoover dam and grand canyon with helicopter trip over the canyon down to the river.

Oh good point forgot about that. We took a paddle boat up to the hoover damm one day....

Then a helicopter into the Grand Canyon the next day too....

Also the piano bat in New York New York was a good laugh at night . . .

My personal lighlight had to be a cruise to the drive in movies to watch 'Hancock' crashed out in the back of Gregs single cab with a bottle of JD and a mahoosive bucket of popcorn. . . .

:wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by OxonPhil » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:26 pm
Cheers guys :D

I am thinking of staying at Treasure Island, which is in the middle of the strip, and works out at an average of only £35 per night (Bargin 8O ).

When we went through on our honeymoon, we did the helicoptor flight over the Hoover dam, and into the Grand Canyon, so kinda done that :D

Our plan is just to spend some time looking around the hotels, and along the strip (all the free stuff :roll: ), go and see the free shows (as the volcano was being rebuilt last time, and the pirate ship show was cancelled due to high winds).

During our last visit (July) it was 35-40 degrees C, and was far too hot to do much walking, so this is why we want to go in the winter.

I have requested a username on the las vegas vw club, so that I can post a thread, so just waiting for that. In the meantime, I have put a thread on thesamba, and some guys from Vegas have replied.

It looks like none of the shops sell WW parts, so I am going to try to order them directly, and get them shipped to the hotel :wink:

Not sure if the Mrs would like a trip to the local VW club, so guess I won't suggest it :lol: (especially if I am going to ask her to carry parts home for me :roll: )

I've already looked to see if there are any events on during our visit, and unfortunately there are none :cry:

Thanks for the warning about kids, but this is why we are going (before it is too late :lol: )

If I see any dubs, I will of course take pics, and post them on my return :D

Cheers,

Phil.
OxonPhil
SSVC Member