The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Info request about building Garages

Info request about building Garages

by os1624 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:45 pm
We're currently close to completing the purchase of our new house, which comes without an form of garage.

The current owners had planning permission granted to build a double garage in the back garden with road access however they never saw this through and the planning permission has now slipped.

I believe that as permission has been granted once before it is pretty much a paperwork exercise to re-apply (with a fee of course) and have the permission re-granted.

I know that it is somewhat of a vague question, with so many variables, and if's and buts.... but how many pennies am i looking at for a double garage? I'm not looking at something that Jenson Button or Jamie Oliver would store their motors in, but a reasonable building, with a bit of space to be able to walk around the Bus without having to worrying about the belt buckle doing the paint work any damage.

I'd prefer brick construction, with a pitch roof and an electricity supply running from the house.

I'm just after a few figures so that when I start asking for quotes from builders in the area I have sort of idea...

Cheer, Ben
os1624
SSVC Member

Re: Info request about building Garages

by zippy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:07 pm
To give a rough qoute, builders need a few details. Type of brick/block used for its construction. Dimensions (obviously) and don't forget, the bigger the garage, the bigger the roof timbers/trusses need to be, and timber is steadily getting deerer :roll: Most companies will supply concrete at approx £65 a cubic metre for the mix on delivery type (you only pay for what you use, unlike ready mix where you have to have it all!!) Go big with it, you can't have too much space in your garage! :D
zippy
SSVC Member

by hels67 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:16 pm
Yoou need to decide if you want to heat your garage if so the numbers will alter you will need to meet doc L of the building regs and the slab will probably need to be insulated. More detail like zippy said will enable peeps on here to give you more advice.
hels
hels67

by os1624 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:29 pm
Sorry guys I know I'm lacking in details, we're just wondering if w're looking at £10,000 or tens of thousands.

Heating wise I wasnt thinking of putting i an actual heating system but I was wondering if I could line the interior walls of garage with loft insulation and then cover this in treated chipboard to hold it in place. I'd then cover the chipboard in carpet to protect the vehicle doors being opened in the garage. (An idea my Dad gave me a few years ago after he got fed up of chipping the door edges getting in and out of the garage.

Its starting to sound like a bit of a Blue Peter project already! 8O

Ben
os1624
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:31 pm
Ben i scored my garage off ebay for 350 sheets its 20ft x 9ft (you'll find this is a bargain if you have been researching) as Zippy said its the base that really costs in both cash and graft see the beginning of my build thread pre fab garages go up pretty fast tho and if you managed to find a decent one on ebay you could save yourself some decent cash to put toward a base.... like i did id also enquire about planning permission because regulations have changed over the last year or so

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

by 57aircooled » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:33 pm
have a look here
http://dhlogcabins.co.uk/uk/products/451/carports
concrete base and a in weekend me and the better half built ours
next weekend wired it up and varnished it
3 yrs later no problems and still looking new
57aircooled

by os1624 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:39 pm
I've already spoken to my Solicitor regarding permissions. He seems to think that It will be pretty routine to re-grant the planning permission. But of course enquiries will be made to the local planning office (shortly after (and if) the sale goes through)...
And if said garage was built then i'll be making sure enough concrete base is laid to accommodate at least two visiting buses... :lol:

Ben
os1624
SSVC Member

by sausage fingers » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:23 pm
Give us a shout as I could do with the work :( :( Going through a tough time at the moment :( :(
Some idea of size and wether you want it all brick or block, is the ground level or sloping, surrounded by trees or not, tiled roof or felt, pitched or flat, one double door or two singles, how far the electrics need to go and if you may need an upgrade on your fuse board etc will all make a difference to the cost

Mango P Diddy can vouch for my workmanship

Neil
sausage fingers
SSVC Member

by Russ T » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:53 pm
as a guide my garage built last year is as follows

5 m x 4 1/2 m concrete base £1000
concrete blocks and rendered £1500
roof flat roof £1500
window £250
armored cable 25m £90
not done electrics yet so all in so far £4500 ish

when i asked about building permission if it was over 30 sq meter council said £175 to come and do there stuff

if under 30sq meter you dont need permission

it's about a garage and 3/4 size

but as has been said before it can never be too big :wink:
Russ T
SSVC Member

by zippy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:31 pm
sausage fingers wrote:Give us a shout as I could do with the work :( :( Going through a tough time at the moment :( :(

Neil

Know what you mean Neil, gone earily quiet up here, got some roofing work to do but they all have 18" of snow on em :cry:
zippy
SSVC Member

by os1624 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:08 pm
Whatever the final decision is made on construction material...
sausage fingers wrote:Give us a shout as I could do with the work :( :( Going through a tough time at the moment :( :(
Some idea of size and wether you want it all brick or block, is the ground level or sloping, surrounded by trees or not, tiled roof or felt, pitched or flat, one double door or two singles, how far the electrics need to go and if you may need an upgrade on your fuse board etc will all make a difference to the cost

Mango P Diddy can vouch for my workmanship

Neil
i'll definitely keep you in mind. Accom would be no problem either, its a 4/5 bedroom former Pub! :) with beer cellar :D but i've already checked, no beer :cry:

The main house building is grade II listed. Would/Could this place any conditions on the type of construction specified by the local authorities?

Ben
Russ T wrote:as a guide my garage built last year is as follows

5 m x 4 1/2 m concrete base £1000
concrete blocks and rendered £1500
roof flat roof £1500
window £250
armored cable 25m £90
not done electrics yet so all in so far £4500 ish

when i asked about building permission if it was over 30 sq meter council said £175 to come and do there stuff

if under 30sq meter you dont need permission

it's about a garage and 3/4 size

but as has been said before it can never be too big :wink:
Thanks for your break down. It gives me some sort of idea of what to start budgeting for! The mortgage, the 'extra' fees, the bus. Er indoors better not mention wedding bells for some time! :roll:
os1624
SSVC Member

by sausage fingers » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:11 am
i'll definitely keep you in mind. Accom would be no problem either, its a 4/5 bedroom former Pub! :) with beer cellar :D but i've already checked, no beer :cry:

The main house building is grade II listed. Would/Could this place any conditions on the type of construction specified by the local authorities?

Ben
Cheers matey. There may well be criteria you need to follow as to the type of building. Its best to take what was already passed in to the local authority and act dumb. They love to help and they hate people who say " I am going to ............."
As for the beer, no worries as I am teetotal

Neil
sausage fingers
SSVC Member