The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Colour ideas for splitty??????????/

Colour ideas for splitty??????????/

by jonesypops » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:22 am
Hi guys

As i said in my other post van has now had to go back to bare metal,and will be all concorsed finished now so i have the dilema of colour change any ideas.Im wondering if to do top half black and bottom cream or maybe top ivory with a red bottom but is this to common im so confused ?did not think i would have to make a choice like this when van went in for touch ups

Any ideas or pics welcome
Paul
jonesypops

Re: Colour ideas for splitty??????????/

by CCSICeman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:08 am
Go to a show and look at all the different colour schemes. Take a camera and take lots of pictures. Print them out and just look at them afterwards.
before you know it you'll have the colour(s) you want.

Why not come down to Vic farm on the 1st May and then Stanford on the 2nd May, There will be at least a couple of hundred to look at. And I bet there will be very few that have the exact same colour scheme.

here's mine, bright colours. Not most peoples choice but I wouldn't change them.

CCSICeman
SSVC Member

by Mat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:40 pm
what he said...........

go for blue white over sea blue...... not that I'm biased 8O
Mat

by split bus kev » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Top half black is getting very popular.. I'd better get mine on the road before it's old hat!

:D

Anyway... yes, going to a show and looking is by far the best idea. Stanford Hall ideally.
split bus kev
SSVC Member

by rustyghia2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:39 pm
the original ones or ones that were original to your year and type of bus when it was produced, it will help when it comes to re-sale value too, see here for some ideas http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... stype2.php
rustyghia2

by snowman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:50 pm
rustyghia2 wrote:the original ones or ones that were original to your year and type of bus when it was produced, it will help when it comes to re-sale value too, see here for some ideas http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... stype2.php

What he said, theres a few fantastic busses been up for sale but due to deveations from stock colours they usually hang a round for ages then get sold off cheap .
Dont shoot the messenger :roll:
snowman
SSVC Member

by jonesypops » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:29 pm
Thanks Guys
neath
I did have that worry of going to far out then effecting value of the van,its currently grey and white or was should i say untill we removed the 4mm of spray filler which covered the entire van which had mint panels underneath.

I am tempted with looking at stock colour which was a green i think 56 year also i do like black roof cream bottom or other is ivory roof orange/red base
jonesypops

by Mike1973 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:49 pm
Stock colours always safe option if you are undecided. I can't think of any stock VW colours that I don't love. So if yours is a '56 shouldn't that be palm Green / Sand green? Probably the most popular stock colour combo out there?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306888

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... of&start=0
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by jonesypops » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:03 am
i think you are right mike,are there many kombis out there restored to these colours then?
jonesypops

by Rigamortiz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 am
jonesypops wrote:i think you are right mike,are there many kombis out there restored to these colours then?

I've only ever seen about 3 (if that) in PG/SG in the UK - I've seen a fair few photos of American buses in PG/SG, but never many UK ones. If I had a nice early bus, and it wasn't OG paint, I'd be spraying it PG/SG with the OG style pinstripes too - Because it would look epic - and the only UK PG/SG ones I've seen, were ratty :D
Rigamortiz
SSVC Member

by jonesypops » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:43 pm
I have looked on birth certificate that came with the bus and it states Palm green so it looks like it was one colour,pg and sg is growing on me alot plus i could match orig interior panel fabric by the pics above,any ideas on cusions etc?
Now would you do the one original colour or two tone it
jonesypops

by 57aircooled » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:02 pm
im with green/white :D
57aircooled

by Doogle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:32 pm
Im With the Green boys too (if youve seen my bus before respray?) but now its grey! stock is mouse grey and pearl, so iv gone with that, think VWs colours were always just right, nice shades that complement the vehicles well so if unsure, as has been said, you cant beat stock the way vw intended. But then again down to you, i love splits whatever colour so up to the owner
Doogle
SSVC Member

by buslane » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:58 pm
Nice photo's

buslane

by Mango part deux » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:25 pm
Mike1973 wrote:Stock colours always safe option if you are undecided. I can't think of any stock VW colours that I don't love. So if yours is a '56 shouldn't that be palm Green / Sand green? Probably the most popular stock colour combo out there?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306888

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... of&start=0

palm Green / Sand green, great colour and how many do you see like this?!
Mango part deux
SSVC Member