The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Local VW Clubs for Local People...

Local VW Clubs for Local People...

by Mike1973 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:04 pm
A member got in touch recently through the mag with a question, he wanted to know what local clubs got together in Devon. Wondered if it was something the mag could help with?

Well I think it's an interesting idea, just not sure of the best way to deal with it... :? Something like a Would Like To Meet page? Or a list of local VW clubs? With info like how often you meet up, contact details, informal/irregular get togethers, or routine 2nd Wed of every month at the Red Lion sort of thing. The forum sounds like the best place to have a list, but then not all SSVC members go on the forum...

Appreciate other ideas on this as I'm just tapping out loud here :wink:
Mike1973
SSVC Member

Re: Local VW Clubs for Local People...

by Terry » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:49 am
The SSVC website and forum are great but some members rarely (if ever) use the forum so I think a small bit in the mag sounds like a great idea.

Local groups I sometime attend meetings at are:

Splitterz - who meet at three different venues once a month, Galleywood near Chelmsford, nr Stansted and just outside Cambridge.

I will send you the information about meeting places, dates etc and also a link to their website.

Spooky VW are another club local to me they meet twice a month near Maldon. I will also send you info later for them and a website link.

There are others but I find I don't have the time to get to meets, I rarely get to any of the above meets these days as it is!

Terry
Terry
SSVC Member

by robmccreedie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:17 am
sounds like a great idea.

New section for the forum maybe? obviously something like this would take up a lot of space in teh mag, maybe have a featured club each month with a link pointing to the forum for more clubs? you could do a county a month?
robmccreedie
SSVC Member

by torpointboy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:27 am
Yes fully agree, sounds like a great idea, perhaps people to post to this thread, and then the relevant info taken out and put in a sticky.

Certainly my club, doesn't have regular meets on a regular day, but as when they feel like it, posted on our website

http://s2.excoboard.com/South_East_Cornwall_Dubsncustom
torpointboy
SSVC Member

by m1xmag » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:36 pm
robmccreedie wrote:sounds like a great idea.

New section for the forum maybe? obviously something like this would take up a lot of space in teh mag, maybe have a featured club each month with a link pointing to the forum for more clubs? you could do a county a month?

Like this, good idea :)
m1xmag

by Terry » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:41 pm
Rather than take up magazine space with a listing of local clubs but to still make the information available to members why not include a list in the next Members' Handbook, or with info sent out giving new members info about the services the club has to offer etc (the Members' Handbook used to fulfil this role and as I have been a member for a long time I do not now know what New members get when they join the club!!).
Then in the magazine, as suggested in each issue a local club could have a small feature.
Terry
SSVC Member

by Mike1973 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:34 pm
TTT... not done anything about this yet, but still think it's an idea worth persuing. Either in the mag or the forum...
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by Terry » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 pm
Mike1973 wrote:TTT... not done anything about this yet, but still think it's an idea worth persuing. Either in the mag or the forum...

Mike,

just a few contact details for a start - I am in Essex

Splitterz have regular meets in the following areas, Chelmsford, Cambridge and Bishops Stortford - www.splitterz.co.uk

Elemental VW show, Stansted - 9th April 2011
www.elementalvw.org.uk

The 8 Ball Diner, A12 Northbound , Rivenhall near Witham
www.8balldiner.com

Battlesbridge VW Show run by Essex Vee Dubbers - 14th -15th May 2011
www.essexveedubbers.org.uk

Spooky VW, Heybridge, Maldon - regular bi monthly meets
www.spookyvw.org.uk

Lost Souls, Queens Head, A120 Coggeshall - meet every other Wed

There are probably others that I have not yet been to!
Terry
SSVC Member

by Marvelwear » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:20 pm
As with my previous posting these local meeting would be a great source of knowledge to share with local members ,if you can mike run with it ,cheers Murray
Marvelwear
SSVC Member

by surreysplit » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:28 pm
Sounds like a great idea , always nice to know what clubs are around locally 8)
surreysplit
SSVC Member

by Russ T » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 pm
I heard a rumour that some split busses meet at toysrus near a motorway in birmingham :D :D

sounds like a good idea for a section on the website and if people want to write up an article for the mag too about what they get up too each month
Russ T
SSVC Member

by TJW964 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:04 pm
Yep, there is a meet for pre 67 only buses at Toys R Us on the 2nd Tuesday of every month. Keep meaning to go, but not been there yet. Organised by someone on here who posted about it the other day. Will look up info and come back.

Personally, I wouldn't use mag space for repeat info but post up where people can get to the info. e.g. See www. Nnnnnnnnnn etc. Just my thoughts.
TJW964
SSVC Member

by Split-Lee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 am
Really good idea, it would be great to see a Splitty meet down here!

I run a classic car club and all makes and models are welcome but we rarely see any splitties at meets! Always space for some! :)
Details in Signature.

~Lee
Split-Lee
SSVC Member

by 211vanman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:14 am
[quote="Russ T"]I heard a rumour that some split busses meet at toysrus near a motorway in birmingham :D :D
211vanman
SSVC Member

by Spot441 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:15 pm
Mike - The MG Owners club mag (in a former life!) used to run a section on whats happnin in local clubs. Might be worth getting a copy of Enjoying Mg (just for research purposes) I would send you one, but we had a clear out!

I am going to Harrogate and District next Sunday for the first time!! I hope that they are gentle with us!!
Spot441
SSVC Member