The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Mini-cyclops / tuk-tuk headlight

Mini-cyclops / tuk-tuk headlight

by jmcc » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 am
Hi all,

I'm currently out in India and have been admiring the headlights on the Bajaj-made tuk-tuks (see here http://www.indianexporters.com/uploaded ... 498514.jpg ). They remind me of cyclops lights and was asking the chaps out here how much they go for - estimate is 500 rupees MAX for a brand new one including the light, lens etc etc. Not sure what the lamp diameter is - presume the normal cyclops lights you see are 7" diameter? I'm guessing these are only 5" but will check them out.

Thinking of bringing one back to see what it's like - anyone tried them before? Don't really want to fit one to my van, but if anyone is interested in trying it let me know. At about £8 they seem a bargain!

James
jmcc

Re: Mini-cyclops / tuk-tuk headlight

by Gruntilla » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 am
Good thinking!!
Gruntilla

by shaggy66bus » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:39 pm
ill have on pls :D
shaggy66bus
SSVC Member

by zippy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 pm
How many can you fit in your luggage :wink:
zippy
SSVC Member

by jmcc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:17 am
I'll see how many I can get in, not sure it'll be more than a couple as I didn't pack with this in mind! Will probably be out here again sometime so if they're any use I can pack accordingly and pick up more then!

Cheers,

James
jmcc

by dombutler » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:17 am
How much to post one?
Cheers,
Dom.
dombutler

by jmcc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:05 am
:cyclopsani:

Argh! OK, this seems to be developing a bit more than I had planned! 8O

I am here (India) until Sunday. I only have tomorrow off so will try to track them down and get a definite price etc. I will buy a very small number to bring back (1 to 3 depending on size) and use them to find out how much postage would be from India directly back to the UK. When I get back I'll look at postage around UK - presume standard parcels will be about a tenner or so.

I'll try to post that up my findings on Friday morning (UK time), so then if anyone wants me to send one from here I may have time after work on Saturday (Sunday I intend to watch the GP so will be busy!). If that's no good then I will pick up more next time I am over here or ask one of the guys here if they would be willing to collect, pack and send them.

Might be an idea to wait and see what they are like - I would imagine that the quality may not be world class etc... :wink:

One thing I am not sure about is import duty - what I bring over in my case probably won't attract attention, but if I post stuff from here that may be more tricky. I'll look into it!

Cheers,

James
jmcc

by jmcc » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:01 am
:cyclopsani:

Right, managed to get a friendly tuk-tuk driver to take me to a parts emporium (well, street corner store with an old guy and lots of boxes all over the walls) 8) . Have bought two lamps, a small one (approx 4" diameter I would estimate) and a larger one (approx 6" diameter). Housings are plastic, larger one has chrome ring and plain glass with shaped reflector (like modern cars), smaller one has painted rim and fluted glass. I don't know how well the housings will match the roof profile - will have to suck it and see I guess.

Here you can see the relative sizes and the side on profiles:

Here is the large one, loosely assembled:

And here is the small one loosely assembled:

The first people who said they wanted them were Shaggy and Erna :cat: in that order, so to be fair I guess first choice is Shaggy's and Erna :cat: gets the other if interested.

Price for all this booty, including bulbs? 550rupees, or less than a tenner. And that is for both! Could have saved 70 rupees by going for non-halogen bulbs, but I thought what the hell, in for a penny etc. :lol:

I am afraid I will struggle to get more in my case this time round, but Carlos has said he is coming out here for 8 weeks in October and can probably ship stuff back to the UK then. If we get these two back and fitted maybe then people can decide which they prefer and we can get a bulk shipment sorted out. I'm sure I'll be back here some time too, or if we want to look into shipping some on spec now then please let me know ASAP.

Anyway, I'm off to get myself a nice lunch somewhere. Or at least something edible and (hopefully) not curried - I am all curried out after 12 days here!

Cheers,

James
jmcc

by zippy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:23 am
Top work fella, will keep my eye(s) on this :)
zippy
SSVC Member

by dombutler » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:49 am
If they are less than a tenner then there is no duty to be paid if it is a gift.
Let me know if it is possible to post me a couple, i'll give you a drink for doing it :wink:
dombutler

by jmcc » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:10 am
OK, the large ones are 328 rupees, the small ones 220. I think that is about £5.50 for a large one, £4 for a small one. Unless I have got my exchange rate completely wrong and am in for a shock!. Postage is going to be more than the cost of the units, probably by a factor of 2! PM me your details and which size and I'll see what I can do.

Anyone else want me to do this, please let me know ASAP as I am only here until Monday morning (early flight) and I need to find my way to the shop again, and then get them packaged and out - not sure how easy that will be TBH. No promises at this stage.

Cheers,

James
jmcc

by jmcc » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 am
OK - Erna has bags'd the larger one. Shaggy, do you want the small one, or do I need to get another large one?

James
jmcc

by Biglozzer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:53 am
Hi

can I just say I don't want one but what a nice gesture and the true spirit of ssvc in helping other members without making big profits. Hats off to ya fella. 8) :wink:
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by jmcc » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:31 am
Cheers Lozzer - did I forget to mention the £50 import fee..? :wink: :lol:
jmcc

by simono » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:57 pm
[quote="Biglozzer"]Hi

can I just say I don't want one but what a nice gesture and the true spirit of ssvc in helping other members without making big profits. Hats off to ya fella. 8) :wink:[/quote]

seconded
simono