The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

'56 vin question

'56 vin question

by motherofgod » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm
Hi there, could someone tell me where or the location of the vin on a 56 kombi bus, I think it's meant to be behind the engine on the bulkhead? but does someone know better

regards

James
motherofgod

Re: '56 vin question

by SSmith » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:57 am
It should be to the right of the engine just below the fuel tank.

Stuart
SSmith
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by motherofgod » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:04 pm
Thanks guys, I've looked there and doesn't seem to be anything, it has recently been painted( the whole bus) and there are hole where the plate used to be. There is a number stamped behind the drivers seat on the metal there, not sure what that is as it's not the vin number. again thanks in advance

James
motherofgod

by galiform » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:17 pm
thats were mine was behind drivers seat on a 56 panel from usa,found it as dvla inspected it for registration, that was what they were looking for and got registration on the power of that.
regards chris.
galiform

by motherofgod » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:22 pm
galiform wrote:thats were mine was behind drivers seat on a 56 panel from usa,found it as dvla inspected it for registration, that was what they were looking for and got registration on the power of that.
regards chris.

well as I said the number behind my drivers seat isn't the same as the vin on the v5. So Im slightly confused, can't find any info on the numbers behind the driver seat if they are vin related. There are holes for the plate above where the number should be i'm going to take back the paint in the engine bay to see if there's anything there. anyone know someone who could help point me in the right direction.

regards

James
motherofgod

by Mike1973 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:38 pm
Your (missing) identification plate is where the VIN would have been James. I'm having trouble with mine, as although it is there is is so badly corroded you can barely read it. That is the 6 digit number I gave the VW for the Birth Certificate, and the one on my Log Book. (Regular MOT guy knows my bus, but when I MOT'd it last week he said I needed to make it clearer.)

I have a chassis or body number stamped on the engine tin, just near where the valance joins. This is lovely and clear in big numerals, but I've no idea if you can use it to date or register a vehicle? If it's just a 'body' number, I would think not? I don't know if there are body number records that would help you trace your original VIN number?
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by motherofgod » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:54 pm
thanks Mike, I recently read that the number behind the drivers seat IS the body number. So I will defo strip back new paint where vin should be. Can you get new plates made?

regards
James
motherofgod

by Mike1973 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:08 pm
motherofgod wrote: Can you get new plates made?

regards
James

That's what I need to find out.... :lol:

I remember seeing someone had blanks, over on the Samba... No idea how kosher they are though? My MOT guy wasn't helpful, he told me to just re-stamp it myself... :roll: :twisted:
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by BBBCVW » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 am
there was a guy on the samba before but he hasnt been on for ages i have the same issues and need to get a new plate made
the mot guy doesnt need to read the no on your bus because of the age if you present your log book they have to except that as prove as far as i believe will check tommorrow for you though
BBBCVW