The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

French Resistance road trip....

French Resistance road trip....

by slammeddeluxe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:51 pm
I thought I would share with you our first road trip to europe in our beloved van. We have spent the last 3 years restoring Vera the Volkswagen - thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40117&hilit=slammeddeluxe+resto

I hope this inspires other people to take the plunge and have as much fun as we did

We live in the north east near Durham and set off for our ferry from Portsmouth 8O later that day...

Here is our bus packet up ready to go - 3 bikes, a surfboard, deck chairs, Cobb BBQ (SSVC group buy ! 8)

We arrived at the port with time to spare so had a quick beer before boarding for the overnight ferry to St Malo. Arriving next morning to the french port we filled up with petrol and set of in the direction of La Rochelle. With the windows open and tunes on the radio we were all in good spirits. Just south of Nantes this happened.....

BOSH !

A stone had flown up from a truck and smashed our safari window

We were devastated because we thought our holiday was ruined ! Where were we going to get glass for Vera ?

We rang RH insurance and got recovered to a nearby Citroen garage - they rang VW in France to try and get some glass but to no avail....we got put up in a Hotel for free by RH insurance (top guys ! )

I honestly didnt know what to do at this stage ....

So...we found an internet cafe and posted up on here for help - we quickly received responses from Jayfor, Paul_F and Grant - all suggesting plexiglass from a DIY merchant and some duck tape to secure it to the frame of the window !!! Genius ....many thanks guys you saved our holiday !

We quickly sourced the plexiglass - Jayfor said Bricomart was the french version of B&Q..good man !

Next day we were on our way and having missed out La Rochelle we got the ferry from Royan across the bay...

We arrived at our first booked camp site in Lacanau
Surf board hire shop...pick a board any board !

Ciara was pretty handy with the shovel !

The walk to the beach was through a pine forest – free parking – just the job !

Leaving the beach

On one of the days we spent on the beach we got ourselves orgainzed – we came back to the van and had a warm solar shower to wash the salt and sand off us – popped the cool box and had an ice cold beer and Deb had a glass of cold wine. It didn’t take much to buy some ice for 1 euro from the campsite that morning drop the beers in and a bottle of wine. We both said that it was one of the best holidays we had ever had !

http://www.youtube.com/user/slammeddelu ... 92ZuaoESGc

http://www.youtube.com/user/slammeddelu ... ZeTNJlc8WA

Couple of vids of us leaving the beach….

After 6 days on the beach we travelled inland towards Bordeux and on through Bergerac eventually ending up in the Dordoigne in a place called Vitrac about 100yards from the river.

Small 14th century village called Sarlat – this place was fantastic

But watch out for the pirates !!

Our new campsite

We went canoeing down the river
Domme a hilltop village
Nice shop in Bordeux !
Breakfast stop on the way to Vitrac
Imagehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3oWTZXYsiE
Sarlat fish stall
View from Domme
Nice Pate…mmm…sorry..geese !

More of our story shortly...hope you like it ?

Paul, Deb Ciara and Vera the Volkswagen !
slammeddeluxe
SSVC Member

Re: French Resistance road trip....

by matt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:51 pm
looks like a cracking trip ( no pun intended about the window )

i fancy something similar, but my 2 daughters are 3 and allmost 8 and i worry how they will cope with the driving
matt

by slammeddeluxe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:53 pm
Simples mate....dont let them drive :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'll get my coat !
slammeddeluxe
SSVC Member

by van cough » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:12 pm
Ha ha ha.
Great pics Paul.......more please.
van cough
SSVC Member

by mclarni » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:27 pm
Nice pics Paul,

I could hardly tell that you had one perspex windscreen :lol:

Was good to bump into you over there. Next time we're definately taking the split. Kate is starting to enjoy it more now. Maybe something to do with a lot more sound deadening, a proper I pod connection and that she's now on the insurance 8O

See you at Brighton Breeze.

Nick
mclarni
SSVC Member

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:10 pm
slammeddeluxe wrote:Simples mate....dont let them drive :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ha ha, you eeengleesh iz zo foonay :D

Thats a nice trip Paul, weather, smell of great cooking, and cheap bread shops called Paul.

Me and debs planning to go to the house nxt year and pick the old caravan up.........If debbie's finished painting it by then :-)

And go down to the Loire Valley, you make it look soooo enjoyable, love the pics. I see you own a pair of in-verted nips, burried upto yer neck :-)

I'll get my coat !
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member

by the bus driver » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:22 pm
Cool trip dude, i did a roadtrip there about 3 years ago and started in Lalinde and then going to Bergerac, Bordeaux, Lacanau and ended up somewehere near Perpignan.. :lol:

The dordogne area is definitely a recommendation!! beautifull area with some nice markets in the little village's and always nice to cooldown in the river! and if you do some research you'll find some great cheap campsite's too!

I think you did a good thing by fixing your safari and continuing your holliday 8)
the bus driver
SSVC Member

by Paul66spliy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:13 pm
Just been looking, and looks like you had a Brilliant road trip, great photos love it, and thanks for posting, we are looking to do something smiler in 2013

Will be awesome

Paul
Paul66spliy

by Cheeky » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:46 pm
Love it :headbang: :thumbleft:
Cheeky

by Geocamper » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:05 pm
Superb story.I love reading stories of peoples adventures in their splitties.Maybe there should be a section on the forum for this type of thing?Hopefuly i'l be going down the foreign route in the next couple of years but until then i'l have to make do with the west wales coastline. 8)
Geocamper

by split999 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:02 pm
Great pics and nice story. :wink:

Thanks for sharing. 8)
split999
SSVC Member