The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

How to guage it's value.

How to guage it's value.

by jerrythegerman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 am
Before putting it in the "For Sale" section, I need to get a value. Sorry if this is not where I should post this, but once I decide a price that is where it will be put and I don't to post on there without a price and mess people around.

The story is that I have been offerd a very nice '59 in Mango and seagul, nice motor and full sorted and my heart has always been on the earlier bus.So, with heavy heart I'm thinking of selling my 64 Kombi.

Some of you will know the spec and I've spent some serious money on it (and I don't want to think how much!!but it's well into the 20K's) so although I realised I will not get all of this back but want to see what I am likely to be asking for it.

Spec:-

64 Velvet green Kombi (was Light Grey but was painted in the 70's). California import by Steve Gilbert at one on one.

Paint faded over time, some area's shiney, some satin. Panels replaced are both bottom rear corner's and battery tray's, inner and outer cargo doors and sill/inner/outer/strenghtener. Steve G special of adding 10mm to front arches to look like earlier ones. All then painted/washed in, in Velvet green with Matting agent. A few marks and dint's but very solid and period looking. Look's it's age.
Ratty US spec bumpers. 2 x Karmen Konnection 2 and 3 bow racks, faded to the same to suit.

Trimming Tonic interior as this bus's first owner was Chris Lyons. Brown Tartan with Velvet green strip in it. Looks great. All around a Westy style, Light oak woodwork.

VW speedshop supplied, MAC built 2110, very high spec but all new with H beams, CB case, CB CNC round ports, FK7 Cam,new tinware, 1.4 rocker's, manton pushrods, Jaycee tube's. You name it.

Ranch pro-street box, sway-away driveshaft's. All straight axled. 3.88 final drive and longer 1st. built to hold the next...

CB Efi/Turbo easytune set up. Full engine management, currently running 10lbs of boost (it can go much higher!!) and kicking out 170 hp at the wheels so just over 200 at the flywheel. Messa oil cooler and Charge cooler system so it runs nice and cool. The lot 200o miles old.

Drives like a nice strong bus when off boost and really liven's up when the turbo (T/T4 Hybrid) spools up.

CSP disc's to stop it and a dual crt system. Drop spindles too. CsP shifter, Autometer gauges.

Flat 4 Enkie 5 rim's (immaculate) with 165/55/15's on the front and 195/60's on the rear.

Not quite stock but looks it form the outside!!(bar the stance and rim's).

I've also got a full set of safari's/pop' out from Creative for it too, including the rear screen. Not fitted but could be included.

So any idea's on how to work out it's worth??
jerrythegerman

Re: How to guage it's value.

by jerrythegerman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:20 am
oh, delux trim inside bar clock, outside down flanks and propex 2000, splitcharged, BMD pulley...the list goes on!!
jerrythegerman

by e m p i » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:51 am
I'll give you 500 quid for it :)

Shalom, Lee
e m p i

by jerrythegerman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:04 pm
Very nice of you Lee, slightly under what I think it's worth but I will keep it in mind!!

It's hard to guess, I know what it owes me/cost to build but I see standard (bar lowering) going for around 14 -15k with stock ish engines and running gear. There is near on 10 k in the running gear in this if you was to buy the bit's and pay someone to bolt it together properly. But I'm realistic too, what it's worth is only what someone is prepaired to pay for it.
jerrythegerman

by bob65 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:02 pm
Why not get one of the valuers off here to have a look? just an idea.
bob65
SSVC Member

by jerrythegerman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:07 pm
Didn't know the club even had them!!

Is there any up north? Manchester area?
jerrythegerman

by JD Westy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm
jerrythegerman wrote:Didn't know the club even had them!!

Is there any up north? Manchester area?
there wasnt when I enquired mate about 4 months ago might be an idea to take the engine out the audience available to you at the mo is limited with the engine scares normal folk of
JD Westy
SSVC Member

by hels67 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 pm
hi there is one in Cromford, the other side of Matlock about 20 miles from Buxton if coming from cat & fiddle side.

His name is Nigel Collier Email spares@ssvc.org.uk

hope this helps
:wink:
hels67

by jerrythegerman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:55 pm
Thank you, I'll drop him a mail.

JD, yes that did cross my mind. I could even bolt in the unit to the new one...options.

I was really struggling with price...I see them up for £15k as a camper, some are in the 20's but it's a case of if it sells at that price.

With a stock engine and gearbox I would have though that mine would be going around £13-14-15k?? that sound reasonable? so working off that 17-18- 19k with the lump in it??

Is that cheap or dear?

I'm changing my daily too so money need's to be controlled.
jerrythegerman

by JD Westy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:12 pm
jerrythegerman wrote:Thank you, I'll drop him a mail.

JD, yes that did cross my mind. I could even bolt in the unit to the new one...options.

I was really struggling with price...I see them up for £15k as a camper, some are in the 20's but it's a case of if it sells at that price.

With a stock engine and gearbox I would have though that mine would be going around £13-14-15k?? that sound reasonable? so working off that 17-18- 19k with the lump in it??

Is that cheap or dear?

I'm changing my daily too so money need's to be controlled.
I,d say your about right with those prices as we know the cost of a performance motor and other upgrades is a substantial amount what I found was is people looking for a bus don,t realise this and subsequently don,t recognise the value so I really think you,d be better of taking the engine out and either keeping it or sell it seperately if you sell it with the bus you won,t recoup the full value of your efforts with the engine perhaps an idea to not broadcast those figures up there incase any buyers happen across this thread
JD Westy
SSVC Member

by Bunda » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:51 am
I think using a valuer is sensible. Here's some amateur observations I've made over the time I've been (rather obsessively) watching the "for sale" section:

- stock is always worth more than modified if the van is in good/excellent condition

- rare models always fetch more (naturally - supply & demand!)

- OG is always a good selling point

- you never get your money back for the restorations/modifications made - i.e. its always cheaper to buy the van with the things you want rather than to do it yourself (this seems particularly true for engines)

- it's a buyers market at the moment: sellers are often lowering their initial asking prices

The price ranges you suggested seem par for the course for the current market, but there may be aspects of the bus you can highlight to justify a higher price bracket.

Here's a morally low point, but I suppose one worth making: you may get more selling to bus "newbies" who lack a reference point, for example through ebay or other off-site pages.

Good luck with the sale. Mango rules by the way :cheers:
Bunda
SSVC Member

by jerrythegerman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:56 am
Yes, that seem's like a fair summary.

Were making the final decision this weekend so It will or will not be going for sale thereafter. It's going to hurt emotionally if it goes up for sale though.
jerrythegerman

by Bunda » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:09 am
jerrythegerman wrote:Yes, that seem's like a fair summary.

Were making the final decision this weekend so It will or will not be going for sale thereafter. It's going to hurt emotionally if it goes up for sale though.
It'll hurt more when the buyer drives away with it :(
Bunda
SSVC Member

by tufty65 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 pm
You gotta keep the motor surely after all the work ?

Youll regret parting with it when its gone im sure !!
tufty65

by jerrythegerman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:08 pm
Your right on both accounts but it's replacement will help ease the paint, trust me.

There could be a option of a engine transplant though. Got to look at the pennies though.
jerrythegerman