The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Rikki James -Man of Steel

Rikki James -Man of Steel

by lucky » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:34 pm
About 4 miles from Hook Road on Friday night i hit a large pot hole and my bus died, absolutely and completely with all electrics gone?
So there we were stuck at the side of a dark unlit but fast busy road, with no lights to warn traffic that we're there! 8O
With my head in the engine bay i soon heard the distant throb of a VW engine and thought "great, helps arrived"?
But no, the bus simply drove past?
then another,
and another,
and another,
and another,
and another,
Just when i'd about had enough, :banghead: a Bus finally drew up and out jumped Rikki, :cheers:
With his bus shielding us from the oncoming traffic, together we tried to suss out what the problem was but it appeared to be nothing obvious, but rather than just abandoning us in the road, Rikki offered to help push us to safety.
So my wife Karen took the wheel and Rikki helped me push a fully laden bus 150yards uphill to the safety of a layby.
I don't know how fit Rikki is but it nearly killed me!

So publicly on behalf of my family I'd like to thank Rikki for his greatly appreciated help, and blow a big fat raspberry at everyone else that left us at the dark roadside! :evil:

Cheers Rikki :D

Colin, Karen and little Emma. :flower:
lucky

Re: Rikki James -Man of Steel

by slammeddeluxe » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:47 pm
Glad you got sorted - I think Rikki's pretty fit I've seen him on a BMX loads of times :D :D :D
slammeddeluxe
SSVC Member

by JD Westy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:54 pm
As my Mrs commented last night " you wouldnt think he was 50 " :P
JD Westy
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:57 pm
lucky wrote:But no, the bus simply drove past?
then another,
and another,
and another,
and another,
and another,

No way.... that isn't the spirit to be shown.... shame on all that passed.

Nice one Rikki. 8)
Sooty
SSVC Member

by nickoo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:10 pm
dam them all.

I know rikki is sure fit and to push a bus 150 yards up hill jeeeezzzzzzzz!!

We got the hightop bodybionic splitty and if we had of come past i could have carried the bus for yas !!!! lol

Good call Rikki oh and thanks for the award to mate

Oh what was wrong with ya van any way?
nickoo

by lucky » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:20 pm
nickoo wrote:Oh what was wrong with ya van any way?

Main power feed to the fuse box had jumped off with the shock, but because VW wiring is pretty rigid it was sat behind the fuse box exactly where it should have been.....just not connected :roll:
lucky

by sausage fingers » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:22 pm
ERRRRRRRR HOLD ON FOLKS
Have you all forgotten that Rikki has had a LOT of practise at pushing his bus around ???
Neil :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
sausage fingers
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:30 pm
sausage fingers wrote:ERRRRRRRR HOLD ON FOLKS
Have you all forgotten that Rikki has had a LOT of practise at pushing his bus around ???

:D :D
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by Mike1973 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:31 pm
Shame on me... Guilty as charged! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Not much of a defense, but when we went past you someone else was already stopped behind you (not Rikki though?) and it did look all in hand... We figured us stopping in a very dull painted kombi, full up with kids, dog, no hazard lights, no hard shoulder.... we wouldn't be much help and might even make the situation more dangerous.

Had you been on your own we definitely would have stopped to help!
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by sausage fingers » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:34 pm
I stopped twice today on the way back and pulled a polish painter 'n' decorator off on the hard shoulder on the way to Brighton on friday
Neil
sausage fingers
SSVC Member

by sausage fingers » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:35 pm
sausage fingers wrote:I and pulled a polish painter 'n' decorator off on the hard shoulder on the way to Brighton on friday
Neil

oooooooohhhhhhhhh.............I had better rephrase that before Jayfor sees it ..............

Neil
sausage fingers
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 pm
sausage fingers wrote:
sausage fingers wrote:I and pulled a polish painter 'n' decorator off on the hard shoulder on the way to Brighton on friday
Neil

oooooooohhhhhhhhh.............I had better rephrase that before Jayfor sees it ..............

Neil

I was wondering exactly what you meant by pulling off 8O
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by lucky » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:48 pm
Mike1973 wrote:Not much of a defense, but when we went past you someone else was already stopped behind you (not Rikki though?) and it did look all in hand...

Tis true, that another totally non VW related driver did stop, to see if he could help but his opening line was " Hi mate, i know nothing about cars but......."! and he left in a couple of minutes.

Mike1973 wrote:We figured us stopping in a very dull painted kombi, full up with kids, dog, no hazard lights, no hard shoulder.... we wouldn't be much help and might even make the situation more dangerous.

Had you been on your own we definitely would have stopped to help!

Thanks Fella, i totally understand.
Had you stopped and i considered that i would have been putting "you" in danger, i would have told you to go and leave me, it just wouldn't have been worth the risk.
Thanks for the thought tho. 8)
lucky

by Mike1973 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:00 pm
Knowing what I know now I feel really bad for not stopping :oops: :oops: :oops:

But you make quick decisions in situations like this and at the time I thought everything looked in hand... My fault! Next time I'll assume the worst, rather than the best!
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by cooper1969 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:13 pm
nickoo wrote:dam them all.

I know rikki is sure fit and to push a bus 150 yards up hill jeeeezzzzzzzz!!

We got the hightop bodybionic splitty and if we had of come past i could have carried the bus for yas !!!! lol

Good call Rikki oh and thanks for the award to mate

Oh what was wrong with ya van any way?

Well done once again nick,you've got a better win record than joe calzaghe son 8) :wink: ricky's also the man well done sir 8)
cooper1969
SSVC Member