The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

White roof Barndoor Deluxes..BUFFING STUFF

White roof Barndoor Deluxes..BUFFING STUFF

by David Eccles » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:31 pm
Somewhere on here was something about white roofs on Barndoor Deluxes...
According to very reliable sources and documentation from VW factory, the prototype demonstrator shown in 1951 brochure and publicity materials and the Frankfurt show had a factory white roof. Although production started in Aug 1951 only a few were built and none of these for sale to general public - they were supplied as demo vehicles to dealerships. These also had a white roof. The Deluxe was not actually available to general public (officially) until January 1952 and no vehicle from the Wolfsburg production line had a white roof..just Chestnut Brown. Any white roof Deluxes that exist are either 1951 demo / exhibition vehicles or have had it applied after it left the factory.

OK..thats today's cure for insomnia!
David
David Eccles
SSVC Member

Re: White roof Barndoor Deluxes..BUFFING STUFF

by lowdown dirty rat » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:53 pm
Dude, that is an awesome piece of info! 8)
Firstly it explains The few White roof buses from the brochures (they also had strange red coloured steering columns, gearsticks and handbrakes). It may also explain why the 15 window remains so rare. It was a prototype they never offered commercially?
Was the first deluxe not built in April? Going by the appearance in the April motor show.
I thought deluxes were available from June not August. Anyhow, if they wernt avaliable commercially till January 1952 then that explains why I can't find any 51's and many of the claimed 51's I read about turn out to be 52's.
Secondly it makes my bus INSAINLY EARLY!!!!! :cheers: just 5 months after they were made available. Wahooo!

Where did you get that info?
lowdown dirty rat

by PastDown » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:12 pm
Loving this information, I like it when this kind of info comes out the wood work. :wink:
PastDown
SSVC Member

by Scotty » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:07 pm
Good work david!
Scotty
SSVC Member

by David Eccles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:36 pm
yes June 51 they started being built ooops!!! sorry!
I can't take credit for this other than knowing the right people in Germany to ask the right questions of!!!
David Eccles
SSVC Member