The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Chassis notching!

Chassis notching!

by gasman2000 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:43 pm
Need to get the front chassis rails notched as i cant fit my tie rods to take our newley slammed bus for a spin :cry:

Anyone no someone in the lincolnshire area with a welder and the know how :)

gasman2000

Re: Chassis notching!

by torpointboy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:18 pm
Paul and Matt at Type 2 detectives :D
torpointboy
SSVC Member

by gasman2000 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:28 pm
torpointboy wrote:Paul and Matt at Type 2 detectives :D

Need it doing on the drive as it isnt going anywhere with no tie rods :cry:

beams on the highest setting so cant even raise it to get it anywhere!!
gasman2000

by berpsta » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:06 pm
ygpm
berpsta
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:00 pm
Did you reverse the tie rods?
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by SAMBA VAN MAN » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:10 am
I was just thinking the same thing :D
SAMBA VAN MAN
SSVC Member

by gasman2000 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:44 pm
vwJim wrote:Did you reverse the tie rods?

Yeah done that :lol: I think its because ive got them brazilian bay spindles that i need it notching :?
gasman2000

by Sweet Rides » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am
Notching the chassis of a bus really is such an incredibly ignorant thing to do and will void your insurance come accident time. If someone gets badly hurt and the vehicles structural saftey is bought into question by a V.O.S.A post accident inspection or insurance company trying to avoid payout etc (which it will be), then it could even earn you some time in klink too. Simply not worth it.
Sweet Rides

by berpsta » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:21 am
Sweet Rides wrote:Notching the chassis of a bus really is such an incredibly ignorant thing to do and will void your insurance come accident time. If someone gets badly hurt and the vehicles structural saftey is bought into question by a V.O.S.A post accident inspection or insurance company trying to avoid payout etc (which it will be), then it could even earn you some time in klink too. Simply not worth it.

Done the structural test have you??? There's many a slammed ride out on the road that have chassis notched what about the folks that raise beams... That still roll there buses this way that add new metal to make them structurally stronger???I'd be more scared of falling outta a stock height bus
berpsta
SSVC Member

by Sweet Rides » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:47 pm
berpsta wrote:
Sweet Rides wrote:Notching the chassis of a bus really is such an incredibly ignorant thing to do and will void your insurance come accident time. If someone gets badly hurt and the vehicles structural saftey is bought into question by a V.O.S.A post accident inspection or insurance company trying to avoid payout etc (which it will be), then it could even earn you some time in klink too. Simply not worth it.

Done the structural test have you???

Yes thanks - Volkswagen did mine for me. But have you done the test?

Book your bus in for a proper VOSA inspection up on the ramps, then see if it`s still on the road...

If you`re so confident of the saftey, I`ve got no problem booking in BOTH of our buses in for a proper VOSA inspection.
Sweet Rides

by readyboy61 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:14 pm
Im with sweet rides on this one, chassis notching is a bit dodgy, yer sure maybe no buses have failed due to chassis notching but in reality its an unknown how long they will last, fatigue is a funny thing and signs of failure can be hidden under the paint, if your that low i cant see how your going to get anywhere anyway we dont have smooth american highyways here!, youl end up raising the bus and he nocthes being pointless.
readyboy61
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:38 pm
Yeh my bus goes everywhere on a trailer!!
berpsta
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Humm.... I usually agree with most things you say, but on this i'm going to say that notching the chassis in a CORRECT way with an EXPERIENCED welder/fabricator, will not alter the integrity of the metal or in no way the structural strength of the bus and it's mechanical ways.

I would agree on a home bodge job, but with companies having the correct tools and know-how, it would not effect the structure at all if done right!

I'd prefere a notched chassis with re-welds and new metal than a stock chassis that has been there for 40 years and the MOT tester has just had a quick poke with a screwdriver :roll: :wink:

But a stock SOLID chassis, then of course that would be better, but I dont think there is any cause for concern in notching a chassis in a correct way.

Not wanting to cause anything Spence, as most you say is true, I just think you jump at things a little too harsh.... unless you are talking about hack jobs in sheds!!!

Peace out!
Sooty
SSVC Member

by paul_f » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:25 pm
Sooty wrote:Humm.... I usually agree with most things you say, but on this i'm going to say that notching the chassis in a CORRECT way with an EXPERIENCED welder/fabricator, will not alter the integrity of the metal or in no way the structural strength of the bus and it's mechanical ways.

I would agree on a home bodge job, but with companies having the correct tools and know-how, it would not effect the structure at all if done right!

What is this correct way you talk about?

Is it the method I have seen of a section of steel of pipe welded in just above the tie rod, which replaces a section of the chassis rail that is probably the most stressed section of the chassis seeing as it is resisting the front beam from moving backwards when the brakes are applied?
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by Sweet Rides » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:38 pm
Sooty wrote:

Humm.... I usually agree with most things you say, but on this i'm going to say that notching the chassis in a CORRECT way with an EXPERIENCED welder/fabricator, will not alter the integrity of the metal or in no way the structural strength of the bus and it's mechanical ways.

I'd prefere a notched chassis with re-welds and new metal than a stock chassis that has been there for 40 years and the MOT tester has just had a quick poke with a screwdriver :roll: :wink:

But a stock SOLID chassis, then of course that would be better, but I dont think there is any cause for concern in notching a chassis in a correct way.

Not wanting to cause anything Spence, as most you say is true, I just think you jump at things a little too harsh.... unless you are talking about hack jobs in sheds!!!

Peace out!

My concern is nothing to do with the potential quality of the welding ( although this is another seperate concern in many cases) but is all to do with the most basic principles of structural physics.

It doesn`t matter how much strengthening/extra gussets etc you weld onto the top of the beam, as it`s all to do with shapes and how shapes alter the structural; properties of all materials. -A "n" shaped notched piece of steel (or any other material) has not a fraction on the compression strength, torsional strenght or the potentail for fatigue/strees cracks/failure as a dead straight or slightly curved piece of steel. It`s that simple.

You can apply the same principle to welding gussets onto the backs of dropped spindles in attempt to strengthen them once they`ve been carved out - doesn`t work as its the shape/ structure that`s changed - this causes the weakness and you cant compensate for this simply by thickening up the new weaker shape. Nice idea but physics doesn`t work that way I`m afraid

I`m 100% confident that both VOSA and insurance companies would be in total agreement on this "notching" principle and would remove such a vehicle from the road under inspection, or deem them modifed enough to undergo a full SVA test (which they would fail misearbly).

I also think that if it was your kid you was killed/mamed as a result of this utter ignorance/stupidity (all in the name of vanity :roll: ) that your tune would quickly change and you`d be pushing for the maxiumum sentance possible for the selfish a hole who defiantly gave ever other road user a middle finger just so he could look "cool". Believe me- I know I would.
Sweet Rides