The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Tinted windows

Tinted windows

by FamilyVan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:15 am
I'm just about to have some orginal windows grafted into the side of my van.

I'm going to instal pop outs but fancy some with either tints or coloured glass

my van is dove blue, does anyone have any pictures or good with Photoshop to give me sone ideas of what I should go for.

Thanks ste
FamilyVan

Re: Tinted windows

by Thompster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 am
Hi,

My personal view on this is to stick away from coloured tint as it tends to be low quality film and can dis-colour over time.

My recommendation would be to find a good company who will take all the windows out (or tint before you install the glass) in order to get the tint well within the rubbers.

This is not a job that can be done whilst the glass is in as you WILL have gaps! Everything must be perfectly clean for a good tint job.

Here's a picture of mine with the lightest tint possible, I think it adds a bit of class without looking silly on such an old vehicle.

To give you an idea... It took me 6 hours to tint my van (all windows), that was removing all the glass, cleaning up, tinting, and re-installation.

I would definitely go for a tint rather than glass, as you have the freedom to change you mind years later with far less cost and a good tint installation will look as good to the untrained eye as glass!

Plus tints offers many other benefits, 99.9% UV protection, Less Glare, Heat reflection (Darker tint = more heat reflection) plus some safety aspects too (glass is held together if broken).

Hope that helps with at least one point of view.
Thompster
SSVC Member

by FamilyVan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:08 am
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about changing my mind at a later date. Thanks for that. My only concern would be that I have 3 young kids, can they scratch the film on the tints. But I guess I would only have that window to repair.

Thanks again. Great picture
FamilyVan

by 686 bus-boy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 am
I had tinted winows on my old black bus- i gave a local glazing company a window for a template and they cut me 6 new properly tinted safety glass windows with ground smooth edges-no scratchin or imperfections at all. :wink:
686 bus-boy

by Thompster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:23 am
FamilyVan wrote:Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about changing my mind at a later date. Thanks for that. My only concern would be that I have 3 young kids, can they scratch the film on the tints. But I guess I would only have that window to repair.

Thanks again. Great picture

Again a good quality film will do well against most "accidents"... They are pretty scratch proof...Its the cheap Halfords or eBay films you would not have a chance with!

You can always ring my family business for a discussion about this if you like... They are always happy to help guide you even if you are miles away and are not likely to buy anything from them.

http://www.sctints.co.uk Drop em a line for a chat.
Thompster
SSVC Member