The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

DVLA and Birth certificate

DVLA and Birth certificate

by panel van lee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:23 pm
Hi.
I went to dvla today in Nottingham to register my van,only to be told that a vw birth certificate are no longer a valid proof of age.
I don't have the title for the van as it has changed hands since been imported into the uk and did'nt make it as far as me.
They told me i have to get a letter from the Vw Owners Club (GB) as a proof of age,so they will issue a reg number.
Has anybody else encountered this problem as i was led to believe that the vw birth certificate was ample proof,and who could be better informed that the people that built the vehicle in the first place.
Many thank Lee.
panel van lee
SSVC Member

Re: DVLA and Birth certificate

by SAMBA VAN MAN » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:58 am
Mhhh thats strange :? Im not sure myself so i will also watch this posting.
SAMBA VAN MAN
SSVC Member

by split bus kev » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 am
Can't help I'm afraid. I went to the same office, and they were very helpful last week, but I already had a log book...

But does this mean your bus is near hitting the road?
split bus kev
SSVC Member

by panel van lee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:58 am
Hi Kev.
Glad to hear that you got your van on the road at last after all your problems.
I managed to get a m.o.t on the van this week and went to dvla full of hope of getting my reg number.They say it takes 72 hours to process.

I now have to join the historic vw club or volkwagen owners club great britain,so then i can send a letter to volkwagen owners club (gb)with proof of membership of one of the forementioned clubs, along with my details and the vans/also a copy of vw birth certificate and they will write me a letter confirming the age of the van, that the dvla will accept. :roll: I think this will delay the registering process by a week or two and may be cutting it close for vanfest that we have tickets for.
On a more cheerful note when it's on the road we'll have to go for a run out in the vans.
Cheers Lee.
panel van lee
SSVC Member

by split bus kev » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 am
Bloody red tape. That's ridiculous.

Yeah, when they're both on the road, we could set up camp by the river in Gunthorpe :)

That's 2 for the convoys to the shows, when Paul down the road gets his done, we'll have a trio.
split bus kev
SSVC Member

by stained glass susie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 pm
Does it have to be VW Club GB, whoever they are?

We offer proof of age service for SSVC members. Would that be acceptable to the DVLA?

Contact Steve Saunders who is in charge of the SSVC Van Register
vanregister@ssvc.org

We didn't have these problems as when Mike registered ours the guy in the office was a vintage VW nut and knew more about our bus than we did! :oops: 8)

Good luck!
stained glass susie
SSVC Member

by motherofgod » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 pm
Interestin this, I have a '58 camper but on the v5 it said 1956, so I got the birth cert and confirmed being '58 so I rang them(DVLA) and was told they would need Birth cert and possibly view the bus. I ignored it for a while then I moved so had to change v5, so i photocopied birth cert and put it in with the amended V5, It took a little longer to come back than my other vehicles so I rang and to my surprise they said it was all ok and was being sent back. When I got it still said registered in '56 but at the bottom had 'was manufactured in 1958' so my bus was registered two years before it was made! I'm not one to argue so I've left it at that. I hope you get yours sorted

James
motherofgod

by vwsplitbus » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:03 pm
Go to a different DVLA office :wink: and try again.

Or join VWOCGB and get the confirmation letter. Not that u should need it.
vwsplitbus
SSVC Member

by readyboy61 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:34 pm
It seems to depend on the o
ffice dvla here accepted the birth certificate
readyboy61
SSVC Member