The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

speed limit for vans part 2

speed limit for vans part 2

by e m p i » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:28 am
Tried to find the original thread for this but couldn't so started a new one...
Spoke to a friend "in the know" (traffic police 22yrs) and the definitive answer is:
If it is under 2 tons then normal car speed limits apply
If its over 2 tons then single carriagway national speed limit(country lanes for example) its 50mph NOT 60mph and the same for dual carriagway with central reservation or dividing barrier. Motorway is still 70mph.
A converted panel van is still classed as a van as it remains what it was originally manufactured as.
The grey area concerns things like Ford Transit Connect vans a s some of them are 2 tons and sone are 2 and a quarter ton.
So if you run a panel van that's had windows put in and made into a camper its still a panel van as far as the Road Traffic Act is concerned.

Shalom, Lee
e m p i

Re: speed limit for vans part 2

by shambly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:25 am
I think you mean 60mph for dual carriage ways (rather than 70 for a car)
shambly
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 am
50mph on a duel is only for vehicles over 7.5 ton.

under 7.5 it is 60mph...

Unless your me and try to get 80 out of my wagon when we responding to a persons reported! (weather and driving conditions assessed first of course!)
Sooty
SSVC Member

by TJW964 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 am
I always thought it was determined by the size of your original motor ...

1200 - 50ish
1500's - 60ish
1600's - 70 if downhill section included
2 litre, same as 1600 but with worse fuel economy (lol)

Then the monied section ...

Enter your own ...

PS - excludes twin carbs, scooby snacks, and other mods, especially bigger capacities.
TJW964
SSVC Member

by shambly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 am
Note if registered as a motor caravan and under 3050kg then car speed limits apply. (mine is registered as a motor caravan)
shambly
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 am
shambly wrote:I think you mean 60mph for dual carriage ways (rather than 70 for a car)
Yup, just read it back and realised that.
However, it matters not that your van is registered as a camper/motor caravan. If it was originally manufactured as a panel van it will, for the purpose of this legislation, still be classed as a van.

Shalom, Lee
e m p i

by paul_f » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:07 pm
e m p i wrote: However, it matters not that your van is registered as a camper/motor caravan. If it was originally manufactured as a panel van it will, for the purpose of this legislation, still be classed as a van.
That isn't correct, if it is reregistered with the DVLA as a motor caravan then car speed limits apply as it is classified as a passenger vehicle.

How would the police be able to tell the difference between a Reimo converted (from new) T5 and a Reimo converted used panel van if the DVLA classified both as a motor caravan?
paul_f
SSVC Committee Member

by Glyno » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 pm
Normally what I can get away with... :roll:

Picked up my last 3 points in the camper.

Kids - it's not big and it's not clever but I did feel like laminating the ticket just to prove it could go that fast!!
Glyno

by Magic8Ball » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 am
I was recently on the M40 and clocked (not using a splitty speedo ) a Splitty at 118mph, it was all legal .........he was in a hurry :wink:

BUT your right, its not big, its not clever so don't copy this kids (comment added for a balnced opinion) :wink:
Magic8Ball
SSVC Member

by smilersplit » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:40 pm
just to stray and defer further how strict to people finding the police on seat belts as iv never been hassled although i fit them and i know if they werent there orig you dnt have to wear (if they arnt fitted ) but still i get more smiles then hassle ??"?!!?!?!
smilersplit

by ratty mullet » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 pm
e m p i wrote: The grey area concerns things like Ford Transit Connect vans a s some of them are 2 tons and sone are 2 and a quarter ton.

Shalom, Lee
whats your transit connect full of......lead? :D
ratty mullet

by e m p i » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:28 pm
paul_f wrote:
e m p i wrote: However, it matters not that your van is registered as a camper/motor caravan. If it was originally manufactured as a panel van it will, for the purpose of this legislation, still be classed as a van.
That isn't correct, if it is reregistered with the DVLA as a motor caravan then car speed limits apply as it is classified as a passenger vehicle.

How would the police be able to tell the difference between a Reimo converted (from new) T5 and a Reimo converted used panel van if the DVLA classified both as a motor caravan?
Nope doesn't make any difference what its registered as for the purpose of the relevant legislation. I did query this with another 2 traffic peeps and they conformed that its classed as what it was manufactured as, intended for or adapted to, in that order. The first being "manufactured" so that's what counts. As for how they'd ever know/tell I have absolutly no idea :lol:
S'pose its one of those things that they don't enforce to strictly, ike A-framing a car. Unles the car has been disabled or has broken down(emergency requirement) then its illegal to A-frame a car unless it has a braking system like a braked trailer because the minute you put it on the A-frame it ceases to become a "car" and becomes a "trailer" and so the rule relating to trailers now apply ie. over a certain weight(which it will be) needs to be braked. So most of those people that A-frame their race cars to Santa Pod etc are actually doing so illegally.

Shalom, Lee
e m p i

by maddison » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 am
how much does an unladen panel van weigh ???
maddison
SSVC Member

by j0hn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 pm
maddison wrote:how much does an unladen panel van weigh ???
[monty python]
African or European?[/month python] :wink:
j0hn
SSVC Member