The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Gas question (anyone a Corgi plumbers on here)

Gas question (anyone a Corgi plumbers on here)

by A67 MAN » Fri May 11, 2012 7:09 pm
I have just bought one of these via Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110796726527
My local gas company did not have one TBH they don't like selling to Joe public unless you have a corgy with you :wink:
so I went to the local compressed air suppliers....they had one but would not sell it to me because it was for gas

so I have just purchased this off Ebay as I am struggling to find one online from a gas supplier

is it safe to use 8O

thanks in advance
Ian
A67 MAN
SSVC Member

Re: Gas question (anyone a Corgi plumbers on here)

by coleman keith » Fri May 11, 2012 7:36 pm
depends on what you need it for. Is it mains gas at full pressure (home) or low pressure (in line after a gas regulator) in the van?
The fact you are having to ask and are having so much trouble getting it should be telling you some thing. Gas is not for those who dont know completely what they are doing. Need proof look at this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl ... e-18031660
coleman keith

by A67 MAN » Fri May 11, 2012 7:56 pm
Hi Keith it's just to angle the gas pipe upwards out of the back of my cooker as I'm unable to get the rubber pipe on without it kinking....these cooker were available with angle but no the one I bought
A67 MAN
SSVC Member

by matt d » Fri May 11, 2012 8:17 pm
I'm gas safe registered. That fitting looks ok but I obviously wouldn't be professional if I said it was ok for you to do your own gas work. Remember lpg is heavier than air and is much more lethal than natural gas in the home. Your running propane at 36mbar(regulated) and natural gas at 20mbar at home. Propane is much more 'searching' than natural gas too(it will leak out of a poor joint where natural gas won't).
Be carefull. :D
matt d

by mrico1964 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:26 pm
mrico1964
SSVC Member

by coleman keith » Fri May 11, 2012 8:29 pm
As it is going to be low pressure why dont you pop down your local camping or caravan dealer for a low pressure angle joint. properly secured with pipe clips you should be fine. remember to use a drop of washing up liquid to check for leaks before you use it.
coleman keith

by A67 MAN » Sat May 12, 2012 7:23 am
Thanks for the replies :D
A67 MAN
SSVC Member

by BJ1 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:44 pm
Hi Ian
As you know I am not a Corgi :wink:
The problem with the fitting you have bought is that you will have two joints, one male into the cooker and the other into a fitting not specifically designed for gas.
You should be looking for a 90 degree Fulham nozzle like this http://www.glamairsupplies.co.uk/index. ... elbow.html with a 1/4 BSP tail (there's a list of fittings below the pic - I think you need a 1/4" BSP with either a 1/4" or 5/16 nozzle)
That way you only have the one joint into the cooker, which if you use proper sealing compound will not leak.

The OG cookers came with a 90 degree Fulham - I have one somewhere but like many of my bits it'll take a bit of digging out :roll:

Breen
BJ1
SSVC Member

by peter the plumber » Sat May 12, 2012 7:19 pm
The fitting you have bought is a tapered thread and only suitable for conecting up to a female thread, so if that is what is on your cooker already you will be OK, otherwise use compression fittings and copper pipe as already posted. Be sure to use a suitable jointing paste for LPG gases such as Hawk White on all your joints and not PTFE plastic tape. Always test all conections with a suitable leak detecting fluid preferably a spray type, if using washing up liquid make sure you wash off completely after testing.
And by the way we are no longer CORGI (except Ireland) but Gas Safe and if you need to call a registered engineer he/she will also need to have passed the LPG course and will be noted on the back of the Gas Safe registration card what they are qualified to work on. Hope this helps.
peter the plumber

by matt d » Sat May 12, 2012 7:52 pm
You can use tape on LPG threaded joints. I'm not registered for caravans, only log in domestic dwellings. I'm sure you can get more info on the net regarding the regs and testing procedures.
matt d

by Samba63 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:47 pm
Might as well do away with the Gas Safe Registration scheme then if all and sundry are being told how to do things like this.

On your conscience be it.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/blo ... _1_3314731
Samba63
SSVC Member

by BJ1 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:15 pm
peter the plumber wrote:The fitting you have bought is a tapered thread and only suitable for conecting up to a female thread, so if that is what is on your cooker already you will be OK, otherwise use compression fittings and copper pipe as already posted. Be sure to use a suitable jointing paste for LPG gases such as Hawk White on all your joints and not PTFE plastic tape.
Yeah that was exactly my point, Peter - the fitting Ian has bought will go into the cooker fine, but the other end isn't suitable for a compression fitting because it looks like it's also tapered. I think these fittings are designed for fixing a pressure gauge to a pneumatic manifold. So he needs the one I've described as he will be fitting the cooker to a flexi pipe.
BJ1
SSVC Member

by A67 MAN » Sun May 13, 2012 8:32 am
Samba63 wrote:Might as well do away with the Gas Safe Registration scheme then if all and sundry are being told how to do things like this.

On your conscience be it.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/blo ... _1_3314731
TBH if the Gas Board (Manx Gas) over here were more helpful and supplied me with the right part or even advised me on where to get the right part I would not have asked on here.....I personally know several Gas Safe engineers who will fit and test this part for me....I'm just trying to buy the right part so they don't have to run around after me :wink:
I just want a safe cup of tea....I'm not having a dig at you more the Local gas board who seem to be so secretive and treat Joe public like a potential suicide bomber....I tried to buy the correct regulator off them a couple of years ago for my boat....there attitude has not changed :roll:

EDIT to add....My 1st post should have contained more details on what my intension were :D

Thanks Peter and Brian for advice and links 8) and Thanks to all for your safety concerns 8)
A67 MAN
SSVC Member

by matt d » Sun May 13, 2012 8:48 am
Anyone can just go and do their gas training in a matter of weeks now. It's not about safety but the money like everything else. I did three years apprentiship then was deemed competent by Corgi to carry out gas work unsupervised. I know people who just pay the money, do the course and come away from it as a qualified gas fitter with no real experience. You don't even need public liability insurance to be gas safe registered (i always thought in the old corgi days you needed it).
There are a lot of people employed in training centres and examining bodies.
I don't see anyone telling you to do your own gas work on this thread, I am certainly not advising you do your own work. I fact I wouldn't have one of these old cookers in my bus full stop. Whatever you do make sure a qualified person who you can hold to account is the one who tests and signs it off.
:D
matt d

by A67 MAN » Sun May 13, 2012 9:09 am
I hope your not condemning my old cooker Matt :lol: It cost me a small fortune off J4 :oops:
TBH Matt it all comes apart easily and the burners just sit into place loosely 8O which is a concern :?
Safety always comes first with me and I would dearly like to use the correct cooker for my bus hopefully it will be approved :)
A67 MAN
SSVC Member