The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

1964 RHD bus up for sale **mod moved**

1964 RHD bus up for sale **mod moved**

by CmdrDeLavel » Tue May 15, 2012 2:51 pm
****MOVED FROM BUSSES FOR SALE**** put a price on it and it will go back, thanks

Hi all,

I'm sorry to say that we are selling our '64 bus, and I am seeking advice about how much we can ask for it. Sadly, new job means that I just don't have the time to keep working on it.

Thanks for any advice,

cheers

Dave

There's a whole bunch of photos to be found here:
http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z35 ... r/Splitty/

Here is some information...
We've owned it for about 5 years and have done less than 2000 miles. I understand that the vehicle spent some time in S Africa before being brought to the UK.

1964 Right hand drive camper - has Devon-like interior.
Engine is a 1300 Beetle AB type.
Mileage unknown, as the odometer is stuck.
MOT expires in February 2013.
Location - near Bangor, N. Wales

Roof repaired and sprayed with 2 pack.
Underneath - chassis repairs, new outriggers, new nearside inner/outer sill with the optional strengthener, offside had the rear half of the inner sill and body replaced, along with sundry other repairs.
All of this was painted and heavily waxoyled. (And never gone out on salty roads since!)

Front seats recovered (black vinyl, but somehow the photo shows red areas, (don't know why)

Most of the brake cylinders have been replaced, which is when I found out that this vehicle has been fitted with an earlier front beam - and the brake cylinders are far more expensive! New brake shoes all round.

Engine starts/runs ok, but has oil leaks. When we got the vehicle, the engine was rather poorly, but after a lot of tlc (new plugs/leads/points/oil changes etc) and a dose of Slick 50 (excellent stuff), will quite happily cruise at 50-55. After a long run and hot, the oil pressure light sometimes flickers a little at idle, just for a moment.

Ignition upgrade - this isn't a full CD system, but takes the electrical load off the contact breaker and stops burning/pitting.
(Highly recommended for those that want to improve the ignition, without the expense of CD - kit available from Maplin for around £10
I have the same upgrade on my old Mini - very worthwhile)

New vaccuum advance distributor - much better than the Bosch 009 that it had originally - see the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44447&start=0

New fuel pump. Carb overhauled.

New exhaust and tailpipe fitted for the MOT a couple of months back.
Tyres are ok (spare unused), although the 2 rear tyres tend to deflate slowly (need topping up every 2-3 weeks)
Sony CD/Radio - not sure if this is working now, we don't bother - although it has 2 huge speakers in the rear bench seat.
Most of the locks do not work
Awning
Metallised cover for vehicle

Main rusty areas:
In some of the photos you will notice grey duct tape - this is to try and keep the rain off rusty areas.
The front window frames, along with the 2 rear lower quarters around the tail lights.
This has allowed the rain into the dashboard/parcel shelf
Bodywork around the bottom of the 2 front doors.
Down the side of the cargo door and around the rear hatch.
Front door pillars (not sure of correct name for these)
Along the bottom of the tailgate
Internal air vent
CmdrDeLavel

Re: 1964 RHD bus up for sale **mod moved**

by surreysplit » Tue May 15, 2012 4:38 pm
Hi, Unless my dodgy mincers cant see it you do have to put a price up as per forum rules, Thanks
surreysplit
SSVC Member

by Dr Grub » Tue May 15, 2012 6:46 pm
surreysplit wrote:dodgy mincer

is something you are not telling me Phil?

:)
Dr Grub
SSVC Member

by surreysplit » Tue May 15, 2012 7:32 pm
Dr Grub wrote:
surreysplit wrote:dodgy mincer

is something you are not telling me Phil?

:)
:lol: nah thats Marv :wink:
surreysplit
SSVC Member

by CmdrDeLavel » Tue May 15, 2012 9:59 pm
hi... I was asking for advice about how much we could ask for the vehicle...please read the first sentence.
CmdrDeLavel

by ..... » Wed May 16, 2012 7:40 am
CmdrDeLavel wrote:hi... I was asking for advice about how much we could ask for the vehicle...please read the first sentence.
Please dont be offended but the rules on here say you have to put a price on it if its up for sale, maybe you should of put your post in the vw chat section to ask how much its worth.
I would say your bus as nice as it looks may only be worth £6k / £7k as there does seem to be some rust hiding under there.
Good luck.

by Sooty » Wed May 16, 2012 8:29 am
..... wrote: may only be worth £6k / £7k
Good luck.
For an MOT'd RHD with rust issues I think that is way underpriced.

I'd expect you'd get a few thousand more than that in today's market.

Think of an amount what you want.... If it doesn't sell then you can lower the price.

If your happy with 7k then :cheers: you'll get it.

I'd advertise it at £8495 and see what happens.
Sooty
SSVC Member

by massivesplitproject » Wed May 16, 2012 10:18 am
For someone to take this and make it completely solid there is a fair of work but well worth doing (judging by the photos). Thing is photos are not always true to actual form so its quite circumstantial asking for a price it may be loads better in real life or worse, i would advertise it for what you ideally want for it and get feedback from people who actually view it, after all its worth what someone will give you for it
massivesplitproject

by CmdrDeLavel » Wed May 16, 2012 9:02 pm
Ok, thanks for the help, will probably be going on ebay soon.

cheers...
CmdrDeLavel

by paneldave » Fri May 18, 2012 11:35 am
*moved*
paneldave