The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

Stonor Park - recommended campsites nearby?

Stonor Park - recommended campsites nearby?

by simons121 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:21 am
We ususlly stop at Swiss Farm but no dogs allowed. We sneaked Daisy in last year but now we have another, much naughtier Piper to contend with too any other local ideas?

I seem to remember a few people stopped somewhere near Benson/Wallingford??

Cheers

Simon
simons121
SSVC Member

Re: Stonor Park - recommended campsites nearby?

by GreenPanel » Sun May 27, 2012 11:50 am
Up until a good few years ago would have recomended a place at Hurley (think hurley farms, will check) used to go there loads when was younger and loved the place, quiet, right on the river and short walk into nice little village and only short drive into Henley. However :( really p****d me off a few years back as were really awkward about my panel van, we were booked in as a camper van but when turned up after a 300 mile drive they said no "vans" were allowed on site, pointed out it wasn't your average modern white van and that it did have a camping interior fitted so was actually a camper, still wouldnt have it, apparently it needed (more)windows, cooker fridge etc a rock n roll bed, wardrobe, cupboards table etc didn't count. After a lengthy discusion :evil: we were stuck in a corner somewhere out of the way, If I hadn't just had a 6 hour drive I would have told them where to stick it but........

Shame really as had loads of people on site coming over admiring the van etc and there were quite a few "proper" campers on there. I havent been back since out of principle and its a long time ago so can't really comment on what it is like now but its(was) a nice site and may be worth a look, if your van is acceptable to them :roll:
GreenPanel
SSVC Member

by airkooled72 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 pm
theres a couple in wallingford right on the banks of the thames,sorry cant remember their names (google it) spitting distance from town centre pubs etc ,not far from stonor and the main road into henley gives easy access to stonor park missing the town centre and the awful traffic
airkooled72
SSVC Member

by tman » Sun May 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Bridge Villa ( http://bridgevilla.co.uk/campsite/) is very close to the centre of Wallingford, and as already mentioned is the 'right' side of Henley for getting to Stonor. more info.

There's also Riverside Campsite a 1/4 mile away. Despite its name and judging by the entrance, it is further away from the river than Bridge Villa!

Riverside Camp Site
The St, Wallingford OX10 8EF
01491 835232 ‎

Just seen here Riverside don't allow dogs. :(

Although these are local as hell to me I've never been to either so this isn't a recommendation for either! :)
tman
SSVC Member