The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > VW Related Chat

"snug" fitting roof rack

"snug" fitting roof rack

by Doka Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:05 am
Hi all,
I have a roof rack on my bus which IMHO sits a bit high above the roof aesthetically speaking.
Does anybody know of a roofrack which fits behind a pop top and is as snug as possible to the roof when fitted or can I "adapt" mine in someway to make it lower? Slamming a roof rack if you like lol
Thanks,
Dave
Doka Dave
SSVC Member

Re: "snug" fitting roof rack

by ASW » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:56 pm
Hi Dave,

I have slammed both my racks to get them closer to the roof.

If you can weld or know a good welder, anything is possible.

Where are you based ?

Adam

ASW
SSVC Member

by Doka Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:04 pm
Hi Adam,
I am in S Scotland and can weld so would like to give what you have done a try.
My theory was that the more "snug" to the roofline a roofrack is then the less drag it will cause (and thus decrease an already poor MPG) :oops: This is true if the most of the rack and it's contents would be hidden below the line of the top of the elevating roof.

Is it easiest to cut the middle of the support bars or trim the ends? I guess if you cut and weld the middle then at least it will look standard as far as the gutter mounts are concerned. Likewise, any welds in the middle of the rack would be hidden from view so would look "standard"as it were.

My thoughts anyway.
Doka Dave
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:10 pm
If you have about a week to look at Scott's thread (Acmecustom on here) he has also slammed a few in his time.

Yours looks cool Adam.
Sooty
SSVC Member

by ASW » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:31 am
Sooty wrote:Yours looks cool Adam.
Cheers Sooty 8)
216 wrote:Hi Adam,
I am in S Scotland and can weld so would like to give what you have done a try.
My theory was that the more "snug" to the roofline a roofrack is then the less drag it will cause (and thus decrease an already poor MPG) :oops: This is true if the most of the rack and it's contents would be hidden below the line of the top of the elevating roof.

Is it easiest to cut the middle of the support bars or trim the ends? I guess if you cut and weld the middle then at least it will look standard as far as the gutter mounts are concerned. Likewise, any welds in the middle of the rack would be hidden from view so would look "standard"as it were.

My thoughts anyway.
Well 216 (sorry, I have no idea of your name),
I would suggest shortening in the middle of the legs/supports and inserting rods to help strengthen again.
Here are a few pics of the front rack getting some treatment
(I am not a welder and cannot take credit for this)

ASW
SSVC Member

by Doka Dave » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:26 am
Thanks for that Adam, I guess that's the way I'm gonna give it a go.
ANOTHER project for the winter! :lol: may as well move into the garage at this rate.

Cheers for the help,
Dave
:cheers:
Doka Dave
SSVC Member